Meadow Street S3 - Anyone got any memories?

Wow! What a thread, I have just read them all and memories have come flooding back. I used to Live at 297 St Phillips Road, the house next door to the old Nat West bank at the end of the road where the railings are still there.

I used to walk along Meadow Street to attend Netherthorpe School. Does anyone remember Miss Hammond, Mrs Hayes (dinner lady)?

Hudson's was around then and Ray used to talk to my father alot, they became good friends back then. I still visit the area and just think back to the good days.

Does anyone remember the Ashmores who used to terrorise the area?

Good days, good days....... but everything eventually changes but the memories still last.

When we lived there back in the late 60's they were still demolishing the old houses and ours would have been one of the last to go, finally in the early 70's.

I remember that we always had rats and those things were BIG.

We always had the rat catcher in because they were coming in from the adjoining houses that were derelict. One good thing was that we had all the back yards to play in, superb.

(Sorry for pressing the post button too often and almost hijacking the Thread)

Hi I Have Fond Memories Of Medow St, I Used To Go In The Medow Street Pub, Corted A Girl Called Trudi. Her Dads Name Ws Jim, He Was The Landlord

Back in the 60's I used to court a girl whos father was the landlod of the Medow St pub. I think his name was Jim and his daughters name was Trudi.

Such Memories

GREAT TO SEE SO MANY MEMORIES OF THIS AREA,,PEOPLE ARE SHOOTING OFF UP ALLYWAYS AND WOTNOT.

BRYANS BAKERY WAS ON NETHERTHORPE PLACE (PORT MAHON) NEXT TO HILLS HERBALIST CHEMIST.

WINTERS BAKERY DID MAKE THE BEST CUSTARDS IN THE WORLD, EVEN TO THIS DAY I AIN'T FOUND ANYTHING THAT COMES CLOSE TO ONE OF THEIR FRESH BAKED AND WARM CUSTARDS.

ON PICTURE SHEFFIELD THERE IS A PHOTO OF THE "IRON MAN" URINAL ON MEADOW STREET, BUT IN THE BACKGROUND YOU CAN SEE JIMMY PEACOCK SAT ON HIS SHOP STEP....

KEEP THE MEMORIES COMING............

HOPKINS, DIANE'S, BECK'S FRUIT SHOP, MARINA CAFE, ESTHER'S,

:love::hihi::love:

Can anyone think back to Daisy Walk? What was it like to live there? When was it all demolished? Does anyone remember people or families that used to live on Daisy Walk? Any help would be appreciated

Thanks, Richard

My gran lived on meadow street annie and jack redfearn.. The paper shop my aunt worked there... sylvia she was called.. I also think I know the ashmores. well one called steven..

There used to be a back-street bookie on Meadow Street. I put £1 on Airborne to win the Derby and it came in at 50 to 1; first grey horse to win the Derby. Lived then in Fountain Square (number 14). Also backed Regret to win the Manchester November Handicap, and it raced home at 66 to 1. Never put money on any other horse from that day to this.

P.S. (edited) Also used to have a drink at the Havana on Meadow Street (around 1948-49). Can’t remember the name of the licensee but he had, I think, two grown-up sons who, like their father, were snappy dressers.

anyone know edward street flats

anyone know edward street flats

;) Who's he? :hihi:;)

Is he related to the Hampshire Street-Flats? or is he not one of the hyphenated Street-Flats?

Sorry, couldn't resist that one. ;)

PT

There is another book written by Ethel Johnstone 'Growing Up in Meadow Street', which used to be available at Sheffield Scene on Leopold Street for £2.50. Ethel lives at Low Edges now. We printed the book and perhaps Ethel still has a few copies left? Email martin1print@yahoo.com for further details.

What was the name of the pub on Watery Lane between the police box on Upperthorpe Rd and Fountain Square? I used to go to meet my Grandmother there at 10.00pm and "walk her home". We lived in the cellar at 49 Upperthorpe Rd beween 1939 & 1947 and my other Grandmother was bombed out of her house on Watery Lane during the blitz. Are there any photos or old maps showing Watery Lane and Fountain Square? I've looked and can't find any.