Meadow Street S3 - Anyone got any memories?

Yes I remember the milk, small bottle and a paper straw, I can also recall having to have an afternoon nap on canvas beds.

and wooden toys in the playground cars you could sit in made of wood with pram wheels and a box on legs with sand in it, if I remember right the nursery yard was the one that looked down on Dover Street over a very high wall. (Dover street was made of wooden blocks then and very slippery when wet.

herbie

You just triggered another memory.....close to the school there was an old factory/warehouse. I recall going there with some mates and 'finding' some cool parachutes which we used to tie to our backs and jump of walls thinking they would work... they did'nt of course and i guess some of came a cropper. We found out from one of the dads that they were the 'opening', small parachutes, which pulled out the main 'chute - I guess beng so relatvly close to the end of WWII, they were dumped in this old building for some reason.

Speaking of the war i can remember playing in some of the old ruins of buildings which had been demolished either because of WWII or clearance, and finding many a gas mask in the rubble.

'Tell kids of today and they won't believe you'

my eldest sister wendy and her husband brian (wing) lived @ the back of 105 i remember goin down a ginnell at the side of the old cafe across from the meadow public house

Originally posted by herbiegrass

The area went down the nick in the 60's when they started demolishing all the houses street after street, how friendly everyone was back then, door always open, smiling people, good neighbours, getting things on tick, packing your dad's lunchbox spoon of tea mixed with sugar wrapped in a square of newspaper.

yes times have changed somewhat, but I miss those magic day's.

i was born in 66 and i still remember the old streets we lived on pyebank at pitsmoor(which has now all gone,my seventies childhood there was great, and the hot summers!) we used to walk from there through neepsend to weston park passing through shalesmoor upperthorpe and netherthorpe...

part of well meadow street is still standing (off st phillips road.) i was there a coupla years ago with my digicam

click here for pics

im a keen genealogist and have searched my fam tree i have loads of stuff on old sheffield, ive been researching for years, i love sheffield history and anything to do with it,i tend to go round to areas which i know are ready for demolishion and get the pics b4 they have gone for ever...i have some in an old camera for pye bank pitsmoor when i get time to uplaod them on my puter.i will put them on my site

Originally posted by screamingwitch

I love sheffield history and anything to do with it, i tend to go round to areas which i know are ready for demolishion and get the pics b4 they have gone for ever...

I hope that people like you will take time out to visit Parson Cross and record pictures of housing in the vacinity of Buchanan Road, Adlington Road and Deerlands Avenue etc., before it's too late.

The demolision of around 900 council houses has now started and kids in a few years time will have no idea of how the place was in the 20th Century.

I wish someone could tell me what the future plans are for the large areas of emptyness that will be left behind.

:loopy: I did hear somewhere that they are going to build a new housing office opposite the one on Wordsworth, as the school wants the land back.

and also that there was going to be a wider range of dwellings built, i;e bungalows,3&4 bedroom houses, that sort of thing.

sometime this year i will be able to see chaucer school from my back door, and feel the breeze coming across the school fields,,,,,,,,,can't wait!!!!:loopy:

Guest Ant

Just noticed this thread. My dear old granny grew up on Meadow Street (before everybody's time on here, no doubt). She once wrote the following letter that was published in the Sheffield Star:

"I am a pensioner and have been thinking back to my childhood days in Meadow Street, Sheffield.

I was wondering how many readers would remember the names of Meadow Street.

There was Rastrick the chimney sweep, Jack's Fresh Fish Shop, Lofthouse the newsagents, and Crossley's the large drapery store. But I think the best-known character was Peter Lourie, the owner of the junk shop. He was a pleasant old man who always wore a pair of woolen mittens. He would rummage around his stuff to find the thing you asked for.

Then there was a jazz band of men in fancy dress who played every Saturday night along the street. Then they all went into the pub with the money they collected.

I also remember the unemployed men who played pitch and toss. As this was illegal, they always had a man to look out for the local bobby.

Mrs. Deakin (nee Burn)"

my mum was born on alfred road,then moved to meadow street when she got married in 1967,she was the youngest of 10 kids...she tells me some really funny stories of "down cliff"

she says that they were the best days of her life when she was there. i think shes goin to a reunion this saturday,with loads of others who used to live on attercliffe

Hello all

This whole area is being developed and Shalesmoor in particular is chaging rapidly.

So in order to record for posterity last month I took a stroll round the area and took pictures of Well Meadow Street, Smith field and Shalesmoor

If you would like me to send copies please pm me with your email

regards to all

Darren

Guest Ant

That's a good idea, Darren. I'm currently doing the same with the in-the-process-of-being-demolished Weakland estate. They're not exactly pretty houses, but I spent some happy years as a kid at Weakland Crescent playing on the adjacent farmer's fields and visiting Birley Farm.

I've learnt from experience how few photos were taken of the Rutland Square area of Neepsend where my Mum was brought up and where I spent five years that I was too young to remember. I've got about seven pics, all with tantallising glimpses of the background. It seems my Dad was the only man in the area who used a camera back then.

Hi, I was directed to your very newsy site in order to find out a little more about Meadow Street. I have been tracing my family and it appears that they lived at no.21 for many years way back in 1891. My great grandma left there in 1911 or thereabouts. She apparently had a beer retailing shop at 15 Upper Allen Str. Can anyone remember any family stories or links to this house or terrace dweeling or what happened to it .Is it still there? I'm just trying to piece any fragments of info together. Someones grandma etc. may remember something. If anyone can help ,it would be great. I'm in Oz and am trying to do research via the net.

jenny.

Hi, going down near upper allen st today will check if no 15 still there . Meadow st now demolished