150,000 in fines on Halifax road by speed camera

Please make your mind up. They are either cash cows (possible definition: an easy way of raising lots of money) or they raise "piffling amounts" and therefore can't be seen as cash cows.

The fines are the short term (pay up now) deterrent, the points are a longer term (pain later) deterrent. They haven't always worked very well (Police Traffic Law review in 1988 or 1998) hence the introduction of Speed courses as an alternative to both of them.

You are one of them who pretends to misunderstand an excellent point because you do not have an answer to it. You are a waste of time. You are probably just a driver or something.

If people can't spot and slow down for speed cameras it makes me worried about their observation skills - and makes me wonder if they'd notice, for example, a kid running out into the road.

Nobody has answered the question as to "why are these cameras not positioned outside schools?"

Surely there has to be a grey area, where people can weigh up the pros and cons and apply some common sense?

The fixed cameras were always placed at locations where there was an accident problem. It is only recently where they could be situated in "areas of community concern".

At times when pupils are coming to / leaving school, it tends to be very busy in the vicinity of school entrances, so, I imagine speed is not generally a problem. Many schools are also situated on roads where speeding isn't generally a problem.

If people can't spot and slow down for speed cameras it makes me worried about their observation skills - and makes me wonder if they'd notice, for example, a kid running out into the road.

I always slow down for speed Scameras , then speed up again after i have passed the offending article. :)

Why don't the police come down so heavily on other problem areas such as anti-social behavior?

Because there isnt any money to be made out of dealing with anti social behaviour, unlike harrassing motorists.Its as simple as that.

Because there isnt any money to be made out of dealing with anti social behaviour, unlike harrassing motorists.Its as simple as that.

Surely people can be fined for anti-social behaviour. It sounds like a real potential money spinner, if that's the purpose of the police.

You are one of them who pretends to misunderstand an excellent point because you do not have an answer to it. You are a waste of time. You are probably just a driver or something.

I didn't pretend to misunderstand an excellent point. Your contrasting fines and points for speeding but no fine for murder was fabulously ludicrous not excellent.

Am I "probably just a driver" (what if i am and what on earth do you think you mean by that?) or a "waste of time"?

Hopefully not on both cases (at a personal and professional level - and i am judged on that daily) but you will certainly have to learn some debating skills that don't involve a level of insult.

Edited by DT Ralge

I am so glad that this Camera exists... I love the fact that £150000 extra revenue has been generated by it. All of the money coming via a voluntary Idiot Tax. I applaud all the idiots that have had to pay a fine because of this camera as it helps keep my tax contributions down.

Please take this as a thank you. I love the fact that others volunteer to pay more tax so that I don't have to.

??? Your tax doesn't go down due to speeding fines. You're not benefiting in any way, shape or form

I didn't pretend to understand an excellent point. Your contrasting fines and points for speeding but no fine for murder was fabulously ludicrous not excellent.

Am I "probably just a driver" (what if i am and what on earth do you think you mean by that?) or a "waste of time"?

Hopefully not on both cases (at a personal and professional level - and i am judged on that daily) but you will certainly have to learn some debating skills that don't involve a level of insult.

I really cannot communicate with someone why cannot even understand basic English. The first sentence of your reply says it all. You have reacted to something that I absolutely did not say! I said the opposite of it! Read my post again. I trust that your road sign reading is better than that!

I caught you before you changed it!:D

Surely people can be fined for anti-social behaviour. It sounds like a real potential money spinner, if that's the purpose of the police.

They are, and they don't have the money to pay, so they don't. Suffolk Courts have just been found to be £5m out of pocket from unpaid fines.

They are, and they don't have the money to pay, so they don't. Suffolk Courts have just been found to be £5m out of pocket from unpaid fines.

Police know that a driver who is fully taxed , tested and insured is a law abiding citizen who will pay fines, hence the extortion continues.

Sorry, my understanding (I'm not very technical) is that the ECU works out that going downhill, foot off the accelerator in whatever gear NO fuel is required. With old carburettor technology, it was the case that rolling downhill in neutral was cheaper than being in gear. Today, you'd consume more fuel coasting downhill in neutral than in gear because, on tick-over the engine needs fuel.

.. Which is why, when going downhill your immediate mpg fuel consumption meter reads 99.9 mpg (off the scale, infinity even).

An engine still uses fuel to go downhill with no foot on the accelerator. It uses petrol whenever the engine is active or 'idling'. Things like power steering, air conditioning etc still need fuel to work