150,000 in fines on Halifax road by speed camera

If someone is arrested for murder they are not fined , to help process their prosecution.

Why should speeding motorists be treat worse than murderers?:huh:

We're hardly comparing like for like here are we?

It's in the public's interest to process the prosecution of a murderer, no matter what the financial implications are. Not sure it's in the public's interest to burden tax payers with the cost of dealing with speeding penalties.

If, as you say, insurance companies ignore speeding fines and they have no impact on insurance premiums, how are points alone a deterent? If that were true, then points don't become a deterent until you reach 9 points and face a potential ban for any further offences

It's in the public's interest to process the prosecution of a murderer, no matter what the financial implications are. Not sure it's in the public's interest to burden tax payers with the cost of dealing with speeding penalties.

If, as you say, insurance companies ignore speeding fines and they have no impact on insurance premiums, how are points alone a deterent? If that were true, then points don't become a deterent until you reach 9 points and face a potential ban for any further offences

None of this alters anything that I said.

None of this alters anything that I said.
As they say in dominoes, knock if you can't go.

As they say in dominoes, knock if you can't go.

You are free to go. :cool:

If you listen to some people on here we are..... :)

If you listen to some people on here we are..... :)

Murderers are lawbreakers......

Speeders are lawbreakers....

Like with like..........The murderers however are given favourable treatment under British law because unlike the speeders they do not have to pay for the admin and processing costs of dealing with their offences.

Such is British justice!

Statements such as "greedy police", "police profiteering" both ignore the facts and are, by definition, blissfully or wilfully ignorant.

All surplus revenue from cameras goes to the Treasury.

The local camera partnerships are allowed merely to cover their costs and their accounts, like any public bodies, are audited.

The revenue has amounted to as much as £120 million. This is small beer when taking a broad view of Govt revenue and spending. IF cameras were ever thought of as revenue-raisers they are pathetically inefficient means of gathering tax: all that equipment, all the admin and public loathing, for what? (the revenue, by the way, is re-directed by means of grants to road safety projects - one might include a roundabout at a particularly troublesome junction: cost between £1 and £2million. So how far will the £120m go, nationally?)

Add a penny tax to a litre of fuel and you have a far easier income stream without the hassle of men and equipment.

The amounts thus raised through fines are so piffling that they should be abolished to prove once and all to the cynics that the cameras are not cash cows and to show that speeders can be treat as fairly as murderers are.:)

The amounts thus raised through fines are so piffling that they should be abolished to prove once and all to the cynics that the cameras are not cash cows and to show that speeders can be treat as fairly as murderers are.:)

Please make your mind up. They are either cash cows (possible definition: an easy way of raising lots of money) or they raise "piffling amounts" and therefore can't be seen as cash cows.

The fines are the short term (pay up now) deterrent, the points are a longer term (pain later) deterrent. They haven't always worked very well (Police Traffic Law review in 1988 or 1998) hence the introduction of Speed courses as an alternative to both of them.

Edited by DT Ralge

Has it occured to you that maybe the financial element of the penalty goes towards offsetting the costs involved in processing the speeding ticket?

£60 to send a piece of paper through the post . :huh

Your having a laugh . Its greed, its extortion and you know it.

£60 to send a piece of paper through the post . :huh

Your having a laugh . Its greed, its extortion and you know it.

Bit naive if you think processing a speeding penalty involves so little.

Why don't the police come down so heavily on other problem areas such as anti-social behavior?

If you are ever on the wrong end of this as many people are then you wil find the police to be as much use as a chocolate teacup.

OK, I will pay my £85 for this course, but as money is tight for most people this is now £85 that I cannot spend elsewhere, or within somebody elses small business.

If another 150,000 have £85 less disposable income, then this is displosable income that other people will not spend within the local area

If someone was to drive past a school at 35mph at school closing time, with 100s of mothers trying to get 100s of children safely accross the road, and someone was continuing to drive at 35mph, then I agree that would be classed as dangerous driving.

Nobody has answered the question as to "why are these cameras not positioned outside schools?"

Surely there has to be a grey area, where people can weigh up the pros and cons and apply some common sense?

TO me this is easy money for the government, and I do wish they would come down on other areas of crime with as much steel. I will pay the £85, but it just means the £85 that would have been spent within somebody elses business will instead be going on a speed awareness course.

I agree with the points, or even a warning along the lines of "Ok, its the 1st time you been caught, do it again and you pay" and that would be fair