Low Frequency Vibration/Humming in The House

We used to get this when we lived in Doncaster - sometimes

it was only years later we found out it was engineering works on the railway

where do you live? last night there was relaying work going on between darnall and woodhouse

It's your fridge freezer motor.

Is this the same sound I`ve been hearing (mainly at night) for a few months now ?

I wouldn`t say it`s like a hum though, it`s more like really low notes from a church organ playing. I`ve tried switching everything off one by one in our house, the central heating (not that it`s on at the moment anyway), the fridge, the freezer etc etc, but it`s still present. I live in North Sheffield.

Ehhh, no it`s not.

We used to get this when we lived in Doncaster - sometimes

it was only years later we found out it was engineering works on the railway

where do you live? last night there was relaying work going on between darnall and woodhouse

We live in north Sheffield, but the noise has been going on for months now.

I live at Lodge Moor and my wife is hearing a low hum/rumble every night when it is calm, I can often here it too. There are a couple of mobile phone masts about 800 yds away one has an equipment cubicle with a cooling fan in it that is quite loud, I am wondering if this could be the source? However it seems unlikley due to the distance involved so any ideas please. I wonder if there are farms around running drying equipment or is it coming from over manchester way, the airport?

Washing machine noises travel, ask all your immediate and next neighbours, at least you will know!

It'll be 'the hum'. Radio waves I think

Don't worry , I've been told lol

I'm not joking either there's a few threads about it

some experts said it was the very long wave radio system used on submarines causing the problem others went for the national grid cable length/wave length reaction.I used to hear it when i lived in meersbrook my mother never heard it .strange.

It goes all night so do not think it is a washing machine.

Submarine communication is by satelite now, low frequency stuff is cold war technology.

But Many thanks for the suggestions.

It goes all night so do not think it is a washing machine.

Submarine communication is by satelite now, low frequency stuff is cold war technology.

But Many thanks for the suggestions.

Err, that`s not true actually.

However much satellite enthusiasts (Sky in particular.....) might like to change the laws of physics, they can`t. High frequency signals are attenuated much more readily by obstructions (like roofs or in this case seawater) than low frequency ones. That, incidentally, is why satellite dishes won`t work in lofts whereas many TV aerials will, and an even higher percentage of FM or DAB aerials will. So, in order to communicate with subs under the water, the MOD must use VLF (Very Low Frequency) signals, which are transmitted from the tallest structure in this country, Skelton VLF radio transmitter.

Edited by Justin Smith

yeah... I have heared "The Hum" before... like "The Voice"....

But it's forgotten the words? :)

I live near a step-down station. It hums.

the public toilet up the road does to