Pub-goers of Sheffield - how has the relaxation of licensing laws affected you?

Dear pub-goers of Sheffield

Welcome to a new era – the relaxation of Britain’s archaic licensing laws. How was it for you? Notice much difference? Those who are due to go out tonight may make use of an extra hour of two of drinking at your local. We hope you enjoy yourselves.

The new laws have, of course, meant that licensed premises, including pubs, bars, clubs, restaurants and hotels, are able to apply for extended opening. Some have been granted extra hours, some haven’t.

Unfortunately, the majority of the media’s coverage has focused on the idea that pubs will be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Scare stories have been prevalent in the tabloids with numerous headlines predicting a meltdown of nuclear proportions.

The right-wing press has clearly used it as a stick with which to beat the Labour Party and unfortunately the pub industry has suffered the collateral damage.

We at Cavells and many in the trade think this is grossly unfair. Latest figures from the Department for Culture, Media & Sport have revealed the real picture. Of the 1,008 premises, which we know have been handed a 24-hour licence – 0.5 per cent of total licences granted – only a third are pubs, clubs and bars.

Reports suggest none of the pubs granted round-the-clock licences will use them. For example, at the Swan Tavern in the City of London the licensees have said they will only open significantly later on special occasions such as the Budget, while the Railway Hotel in Blandford Forum, Dorset, wants to allow darts teams to play into the night.

In many of the highly distorted reports which have appeared in the press a number of issues have been glossed over. What about the supermarkets granted licences to sell alcohol round the clock? Where will people find the money to pay for extra drinks during the extra hour or two they have for drinking? A survey on behalf of The Publican found that nine out of 10 would not spend more time in the pub under the new regime.

Don’t get us wrong. We’re not claiming you will never see another fight outside your local. But as the government has been at pains to point out the law is designed to give police greater powers to close down problem pubs and tackle alcohol-related disorder. Good pub operators support this and the minority of bad operators should be shut down.

As for the new legislation, let’s wait and see what happens. The people who run this pub are grateful for your continued support and custom. Keep on backing your local!

The Cavells/West Street Live Team

What difference have the new laws made to your licened hours then guys?

Not much really we have increased when we can close

Cavells 8am until 1am

West street live 8am until 1am

High house (rotherham) 8am until 2am

I predict the media will be searching high and low for incidents to which they can apportion blame on the so-called 24/7 Binge Drinking Culture. This is a huge dis-service to all those people who go out, enjoy themselves and behave and then go home quietly without causing any trouble or disturbance whatsoever. That incidentally, is the vast majority.

It is also a dis-service to all those hard-working people employed in the drinks industry, in pubs, clubs and other establishments where alcohol can be served.

I for one can imagine that the first case of a mass brawl at 4.30 in the morning will have the tabloids (and the Tories [shame on you]) crying 'Told You So!'. This will be repeated up to and through Christmas and the the New Year (a time when it's usual for people to have 'one too many').

In most regions though, I don't think there'll be an awful lot to write about. Once we're into 2006 I believe things will settle down by which time the gutter press may be getting desperate for a story.

I applaud this move, it is long overdue. But I also respect the rights of people living near pubs to getting a decent night's sleep. Of pubs applying to extend their licenses in Sheffield, from what I've read they all seem to be asking for realistic extensions, maybe an extra hour in the week, a little later at the weekend.

Given time, I sincerely hope that all this hoo-haa is futile, that it will be a question of 'What was all the fuss about?'.

But I reckon it needs a good 12 months before anybody can be put in a position to comment.

24 Hour drinking is a silly idea.

Why should I be forced to cut down my drinking time. :hihi:

As a bar worker formerly of sheffield and know carrying on the good work back in scotland I can tell you that the later opening hours will probably make little or know diffrence. Thoes who go out at the weekend (and during the week) to get drunk and have a punch will continue to do so no matter how long you keep the bar's, pub's and clubs open for but thoes of us in the greater majority who enjoy a good drink and a good time will be able to take advantage of a longer evening and go home and not to the nearest police station or emergency room.

:loopy: I have one thing to say, it is better to burn up than to fade away:loopy:

Having just got in from a night's DJing, my observations of keeping the bar open til midnight are:

- lots of confusion amongst punters, not being sure when the pub was closing. Many thought it was going to be open for 24 hours.

- many people getting drunk earlier in the evening (not quite the idea!!!)

- lots more movement as people moved around from one pub to another - moreso than normal.

Having spoken to a few people about the extension it seems that they think just an extra hour is enough, most don't want to drink after twelve.

Yes it is confusing, most pubs dont even have signs up on their windows or doors stating new hours. So many people were wandering around Broomhill on Thursday night, mostly students, the first night of the new laws, running into pubs at 5 to 11 asking if they were going to be open late, and how late, etc? A lot of students seemed very miffed no where in Broomhill had 24 hour drinking....so miffed they became very loud and belligerent and refused to be put out at Midnight......I got a taxi home avoiding the inevitable brawl between glass collectors and drunk students wanting to drink all night......I think the Police were called...

and yes, a lot of people seemed to be getting drunk EARLIER for some reason.....does not make sense.......

A lot of confusion seemed to be caused by the fact that many pubs haven't bothered advertising their opening hours - or still have signs showing the old hours.

I think opening hours and a price list are two things that should be clearly displayed to avoid complaints and confusion.

I think opening hours and a price list are two things that should be clearly displayed to avoid complaints and confusion. [/b]

They have to be up by law but theyre hardly gonna make a huge display using them, might look funny tho.

Pub-goers of Sheffield - how has the relaxation of licensing laws affected you?

I got really drunk all weekend. No real change there then....

i think in a few weeks once everyone knows what times each bars stay open till it will calm down a bit!!!!

Everyone is still drinking too quickly just in case that place shuts early!!!!