Pub-goers of Sheffield - how has the relaxation of licensing laws affected you?

Cavellsuk

Bear in mind that the Management can still decide to close earlie than advertised if they feel they have less than enough customers in to warrant remaining open until the advertised time......I noticed a few are donig this, bar supervisors doing a 'body count' and deciding if they can afford to remain open or if its cheaper for them in cost terms to shut earlier.....so its going to be a hit and miss affair, especially if not too many people are in....

typical, you just get confy in a pub that is supposed to be open late and even 20 customers in is not enough for them to make any money after staff costs and they kick you out.......

I think if you advertise an opening time, you should stick to it, unless of course you are COMPLETELY empty.......

Originally posted by goldenfleece

Bear in mind that the Management can still decide to close earlie than advertised if they feel they have less than enough customers in to warrant remaining open until the advertised time......I noticed a few are donig this, bar supervisors doing a 'body count' and deciding if they can afford to remain open or if its cheaper for them in cost terms to shut earlier.....so its going to be a hit and miss affair, especially if not too many people are in....

typical, you just get confy in a pub that is supposed to be open late and even 20 customers in is not enough for them to make any money after staff costs and they kick you out.......

I think if you advertise an opening time, you should stick to it, unless of course you are COMPLETELY empty.......

Why would you want to pay staff,door staff and DJ's to stand around doing nothing, thats how pubs could go bankrupt.

It cost me roughly £100 an hour to open (excluding electric) on a weekend night, if I decide I'm not going to take more than that then I will shut.

Having said that, hopefully customers will eventually come round to the fact and realise what time we are open till if we persist with opening as late as we can (1.30) and it will be worthwhile opening that extra 2 and half hours.

Having lived here in the US for many years, I'm used to being able to drink till two or three in the morning, dependng on whose bar it is. In many cases they can close when they want.

While drunken driving remains a problem here like it does back home, there is no tendency to binge drink. 18 year olds have to wait for their 21st to legally drink, and that law is strictly enforced. One side benefit is that the drunks aren;t spilling out onto the highways at the same time sober folk are going home from the movies or a late dinner out. If they kill themselves in the wee hours, that's one less moron to endanger others.

I understand why some people find it confusing and annoying why pubs aren't advertising their new later hours.

But why not put yourself in the shoes of a Landlord or bar Worker for a second and think about how horrific it would be if 170 people stormed in your still open bar if all the other nearby bars and pubs had closed for the night.

My bet is they will publish their hours more clearly in the next few weeks as they see how the later evenings go and the staff are happy to work later.

Whereas I could easily imagine staff not wanting to work later if things get busy and boisterous in a pub which was once full of older punters.

Nobody yet knows how things will pan out in the long run. I hope people will adjust and be more relaxed and treat this new opportunity as a privilage rather than a right. It can easily be scuppered by idiots spoiling it for everyone else.