Help Me Save a Building from being Demolished in the City Centre

Okay, Mr Sheffield, I've just reviewed the Ordnance Survey maps for the location, and according to the map dated 1923, Hambleden House had not yet been constructed ( County Series 1:2500 Yorkshire 2nd Revision, OS Grid SK38 ).

On the map dated 1935, a building of the same dimensions (but not labelled) was on site ( County Series 1:2500 Yorkshire 3rd Revision, OS Grid SK38 ).

The map dated 1954 has the label "Hambleden House (Warehouse)" ( National Grid 1:1250, OS Grid SK38 ).

Prior to the 1923 map, the site appears to show cluttered residential and retail premises and abutting the rear of what was once the Alexandra Opera House.

Hope this aids your research xxx

I can see ,like other posts,in the building going to rack and ruin.We have lovely old buildings dissused like the old post office and the old court house just stood there doing nothing but on the other hand im heartfelt sick of the multi coloured concrete jungle tower blocks appearing all over! They look ugly with no heart in them so my vote is that if they need to be demolished? Fair doos.Just please,no more ugly greenhouses!

The original excavation was quite extensive

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/5885-sheffield-castle/

See above

"Meagre as the remains uncovered are in comparison with the former extent of the Castle they are nevertheless considerable and sufficient to give a comprehensive idea of its proportions and general character. "

Hmmmm.

Silver service lunches at the Alex!

I have a 1958/59 Sheffield Telegraph Football Guide (price 1/-) and it's full of interesting adverts for lots of Sheffield businesses long gone:

Dine at the Alexandra, the spot where true sportsmen meet. Open to non-residents, you can't beat it for food and service, its fully licensed restaurant, selected wine list and good company.

Last time I walked past it two women were fighting outside. :hihi:

As I recall 3 courses, plus tea or coffee cost three shillings and sixpence, that would be circa 1962.

Okay, Mr Sheffield, I've just reviewed the Ordnance Survey maps for the location, and according to the map dated 1923, Hambleden House had not yet been constructed ( County Series 1:2500 Yorkshire 2nd Revision, OS Grid SK38 ).

On the map dated 1935, a building of the same dimensions (but not labelled) was on site ( County Series 1:2500 Yorkshire 3rd Revision, OS Grid SK38 ).

The map dated 1954 has the label "Hambleden House (Warehouse)" ( National Grid 1:1250, OS Grid SK38 ).

Prior to the 1923 map, the site appears to show cluttered residential and retail premises and abutting the rear of what was once the Alexandra Opera House.

Hope this aids your research xxx

Thanks a lot for that