Trouble on London Road

Mishy

I live off London Road and the last few nights have been more noisy than usual with people shouting and what sounds like gunshots but is more likely to be fire crackers (I hope!)

I think that noise is a car that is seriously backfiring as i heard it twice last night after (10pm), when i was near Chippinghouse Rd and then about 10 mins later when I had walked on to London Rd at the bottom of Sharrow Lne. And tonight I heard it again close to Abbeydale Rd/ Chippinghouse Rd area (again after 10pm). I may be wrong, but I do think it's someone in a car that is badly backfiring.

Edited by Joe9T

Was it fire crackers? I live on the bottom of Vincent road and I couldn't sleep last night, those things going off for ages. I obviously thought it was gunshots and worried myself sick.

It might be cos of ramadan, as the kids seem to scrap more around ramadan...

London Road has long had the propensity to be a very rough area, it used to be white Sheffield sparring land, it has now gone totally multicultural, these days you can be beaten up, stabbed or shot by folk from sevaral ethnic groups.

It has far superior eating houses than Ecclesall Road, unfortunately it's not the place for a pre/post meal stroll. It's a great shame, there is great potential, unfortunately it is a police free zone.

I only tend to pass there now when I'm visiting the flats at Broomhall, quite a few Somalis about amongst older white people, but generally friendly people, I often stop to talk!

One day, back in 2006, I got attacked by a gang of white lads and then 10 minutes later by a gang of asians (moorfoot and abbeydale rd by the picturehouse, either end of london rd). You do get a fair bit of trouble on the main rd.

What a silly comment, do you even know what ramadan is and what it represents? :loopy:

As I understand it and I may be wrong ramadan is as follows.

All around the world there are starving people who happen to follow the faith of Islam.

Here in the UK and other western nations, the muslims recognise the woes of their brothers and do Ramadan - this means they cannot eat, have sex, smoke or drink in daylight hours.

By doing this for 30 days (ie not doing the things mentioned during daylight hours - the main thing being food) the fasting muslims in the UK get a feel of what it is like to starving to death - this shows allignment and understanding of their staving brothers around the world

What a silly comment, do you even know what ramadan is and what it represents? :loopy:

I know what it is for the believers - I also know what it is for the daft lads who hang out on London Rd giving each other grief... Just a season when their families are celebrating, and they are having a scrap... Possibly why people say it's like Christmas (even though it's more like Lent)...