Anybody On Here Who Worked In Rolling Mills In The 70s

Lamberts the name. Dennis died in 1989.We lived on the Littledale Eatate, sheff.

Lamberts the name. Dennis died in 1989.We lived on the Littledale Eatate, sheff.

Very sorry to hear that Twirly, I remember Dennis now you told me that name, he worked alongside me, he started there after me,he was a great bloke to work with. they all were, we spent the whole shift laughing.

I used to have him on about always wiping the dirt off his face, I used to say that he looked cleaner at the end of the shift than some of the blokes who were coming on the next shift to relieve us.

I think I had left there before Dennis had his accident, as I said before somewhere, I left when they went on strike 69/70, I didn't get a chance to see any of them except Harry Thompson before we came down under.

All the best to you and your family.

Trevor.

My father worked at Sheffield Forge in the early 60's as part of a 10 man gang on the rolls. I remember going to visit him on a Sturday morning and it was there I learned that the women crane drivers swore better than the men. My other memory was at the end of the shift the pub across the road had a blanket pinned up behind the bar and the pints were pulled. The men just tossed the money into the blanket and drank. You know I'll bet they were never a penny short.!!

Apollo when you worked down Claywheels lane was it the buildings at the very end through the woods. The Company i work for has bought it and we are turning it into a Forge again.

Hi my names Reg i worked at the Old Park Silver Mill near hillfoot bridge before moving to Dunford and elliots about 1966, I remember myself and four mates having to go to the Office for back pay and being told to take it straight home to our mums! As we where the youngest in the mill, I worked on the billet yard,the furnace and the shears,I still remember catching the bar ends, running up the plate to the shearer, the saw and the reeller.

anybody on here who worked in the rolling mills in sheffield in the 70s

I worked at Dunford Elliots on Claywheels Lane & most of the other rolling mills in the 70s

Sanderson Kaysers etc etc

Did you know little Sammy Sheldon on claywheels lane & Walt the pole?

Also did you know keith Broughton at Sanderson kaysers?

apollo

iworked at sheffield hollow drill, at lock house rd tinsley

managed most jos in mill ie saw lad then cogging down rough then to finnish roll.hard work but wot great lads to work with

My dad worked at Sheffield Rolling Mills and British Steel for many years.

My dad worked at Sheffield Rolling Mills and British Steel for many years - George Blakeley

my dad worked in brinsworth mill at templeborough his name was Ray Davis also my brother Peter Davis.

I have unearthed an album presented to James Amour on his retirement from FVSS Ltd June 30th, 1954. Photo of him with Tommy Dewar and George Ashton. The album contains the names of 177 colleagues with whom James was associated for a number of years. It also contains their signatures together with details of where they worked (Shepcote Lane, Firth Vickers, Strip Mill). R Stevens is shown as a Cost Clerk. This could well be Ron who was computer manager at SLRM when I worked there 1970/72.The album came with my father to North Wales when he retired from SLRM in 1972. He doesnt want the album and if I can trace any descendants of James Amour, I will post it to them.

Mike, ask your dad what the names of the other 2 blokes were that did his job, from what I remember, there were 3 of them all together, one on each shift.

My dad worked for Arthur Lees for many years before he died.

I have an old photo of him and some work mates taken in the 60's

My dad was Bob Holmes, known as Black Bob