Anybody On Here Who Worked In Rolling Mills In The 70s

Appolo

Originally posted by coyleys

I worked at Sheffield Rolling Mills, Millsand, Off Ladies Bridge, if memory serves me i was on SK2, running out, back in the 70s

running out ? do you mean on the last pass the finised steel was run down to the sawmen or shearmen if so we called it trailing down

Originally posted by Appolo

running out ? do you mean on the last pass the finised steel was run down to the sawmen or shearmen if so we called it trailing down

That right but we called it running out, i would catch it on the last roll then drag it down to the straighter, these bars would be about 1inch diameter by about 20 foot long.

Originally posted by coyleys

That right but we called it running out, i would catch it on the last roll then drag it down to the straighter, these bars would be about 1inch diameter by about 20 foot long.

yeah were singing from the same song sheet only in different choirs LOL

I did every job in the mills from cranedriver to under roller in my years working the mills met lots of decent mates but sadly we all lost contact when made redundant

We just kept getting jobs then the mill would close down like a merry go round

I use to work for a company called sheffield smelting on attercliffe, I use to work on the big rolling machines rolling solid gold and sterling silver all to be turned in to coins for all over the world. I have worked on the 10" cogging mills bloody hot work in the winter & even hotter in the summer but like every job people as done you had some brilliant work mates well I did. Oh I have worked on the big plate mills as well that was heavy work and worked on the strip mills as well mind you I must admit I enjoyed every day working in the rolling mills. I know I once spent two years on nights solid thats 7 days a week if I did it now it would kill me.

Since leaving school in 1968 and for the following 10 years i must have had every apprenticeship under the sun, ranging from joiner, motor mechanic, plumber, electrician but my alcohol intake coupled with my addiction to night-clubs and generally having a good time invariably got me the sack and it was in these times that i always reverted to what i called my interim job "The Rolling Mills" for two or three weeks till i acquired another apprenticeship, you could always guarantee a job there with a good bunch of lads and a good wage, that scenario finished in 1978.

Hi bigkev I know what you mean the work was hot n heavy but the rewards were ok don't you think that in them days men were men & women were proud of them

Those jobs would probably kill the youths of today that's if you could get any to do the jobs in the first place( come to think of it it would finish me off if I had to do it again) :D

My Dad worked in the rolling mills on Clayweels Lane but it was a long time ago, I suppose in the time when Sheffield led the world in steel. He had an accident at the works that blinded him, I think in 1947, so way before any of you were there.

Bigkkev

My husband worked at Sheff Smelting Company many yrs ago. I would think in the 80's.

hazel

Reply to hazel, when I worked at the sheffield smelting company I would think it would be in the 80's ask your husband if it is possible if he knew of a chap called ken mountain he was also in the salvation army and played either the trombone or the trumpet in the band he had a nickname called fanny mountain. I use to work with him on the big brightside rolling mill and also on the finnishing mill sometimes we had to go and work down in the bottom shop where we had to straighten the gold and silver bars before we could roll them.also ask him if he knew a chap called chick he was my boss in the rolling shop. I cant remember any other of my work mates apart from a guy called paul sutton who also worked in the smelting company I suppose if your husband could name some of his old work mates I might know them.

I worked at "Spartan Steel's" on Attercliffe in 1971. I started off on the "shears" and then went "Cog Backing" It was hot work and I used to pray for a "roll change" then we had nothing to do for the shift.

I only worked there for about 6 month's then I got sack for having time off ( the money wasn't bad and I was single so when I drew my wages you can guess where it went)