Anybody On Here Who Worked In Rolling Mills In The 70s

I was a painter and decorator during the summer but in winter took other jobs one of which was in a rolling mill near Ladies bridge that would be around 1946. I started as a plate lad, then on the furnace pulling out the billets and handing them to the cog backer. Filthy job and coming from Nether Edge the blokes used to take the mickey about me being posh.

I was a painter and decorator during the summer but in winter took other jobs one of which was in a rolling mill near Ladies bridge that would be around 1946. I started as a plate lad, then on the furnace pulling out the billets and handing them to the cog backer. Filthy job and coming from Nether Edge the blokes used to take the mickey about me being posh.

I worked there in the early 50s.The Sheffield Forge And Rolling mills at Millsan

nds.A hell hole.

I worked in the 8 inch mill at johny woods early seventies

I still work in a rolling mill in scunthorpe,

Does anybody remember a firm called Hallamshire Steel if so

could you refesh my memory please, ive been in an accident over the years memories not good but i remember working as what was called a straightener would catch the rail as it came out run it down the straightening bed and use a huge mallet to flatten it,also worked on the furnace pulling bars out the floor was steel plate and you just slid the bar across,floor got rather hot this would be 61/62.

Yes In think it was at Neepsend near to the Stones brewery.

Thank god for that thought i was really cracking up all i could remember was the potted meat bread cakes from a little shop opposite and that it was on a corner.

a good mate of mine used to work in sheet mill he was called ray wilson i used to meet him after his shift and we used to go in monkey for a pint

my dad worked at sheffield forge later darwins can't remember which mill but it was at the end of mill sands he retired about 69/70 his name was George but was always called Chick i used to go and sit a bottom of mill overlooking don and watched them work wouldn't be allowed any where near now a days health and safety etc He was always coming home with holes in trousers which my mum would patch in the end there wwere more patch than trouser towards the end of his work he used to go in Sunday night to light the furness

my dad worked at sheffield forge later darwins can't remember which mill but it was at the end of mill sands he retired about 69/70 his name was George but was always called Chick i used to go and sit a bottom of mill overlooking don and watched them work wouldn't be allowed any where near now a days health and safety etc He was always coming home with holes in trousers which my mum would patch in the end there wwere more patch than trouser towards the end of his work he used to go in Sunday night to light the furness

Im sure I have heard my brother talk about a man called Chick when he worked at Sheffield Forge.I will ask him.

Does anybody remember a firm called Hallamshire Steel if so

could you refesh my memory please, ive been in an accident over the years memories not good but i remember working as what was called a straightener would catch the rail as it came out run it down the straightening bed and use a huge mallet to flatten it,also worked on the furnace pulling bars out the floor was steel plate and you just slid the bar across,floor got rather hot this would be 61/62.

Yes my brother used to work at the Hallamshire Steel works on Neepsend and so did Tony Dali the Italian singer.

The building still stands but I don't know if it is in use.

this was the one on saville street in the wicker?..my dad worked there too.

I worked at Hobson Houghton Saville Street, late 60s to early 70s. I was a backer. I just cant remember who the roller was, he was a very popular guy cos he was one of the best.