Anybody On Here Who Worked In Rolling Mills In The 70s

I used to work at Thomas Turton and Sons, Rolling Mills. Maltravers street, Effingham road area. I was there 1970-1973. I worked on the 14" mill first as cog backer then as Finish backer. We used to roll 4"x 5/8" Flat 20' - 30' long bars, it was hot gruelling, sometimes backbreaking work, but it was one of the happiest times of my life. I was a fit young teenager then with a zest for life and fun. The people i worked with, the stories that were told and the things that were done there were just amazing. I used to push my short handled tongs up against the spinning rollers and clamp onto this red hot lump of metal that literally burst out between the rolls. Running backwards while holding onto the red hot metal, the hook man would then take up the last third of the bar as it came out of the rolls and I would then push forward as it was lifted on top of the rollers and caught by the roller himself before he and his under roller would put it back through the rollers, but this time on its edge. I would repeat the return and catch the last pass as it came out and run it out to the stacker. He and I would then quickly assess its straightness before lifting and dropping it onto its rest then rushing back just in time to catch the next bar as it came through. The whole process would be repeated 20 times a set. I wonder if anyone remembers some of the people that worked there with me: Frank "Loudmouth" Slingsby, Kieth slingsby, Dave "Chopper" Warriner, Big Walt, Pony, Harold, "Arsecooler", Bow legged Eddie, Jack Thomson, Tommy H, Cec, Nigel "the Rocker" . We used to work a two shift system 6-2 and 2-10. It was fun times all the way with this motley crew.

Edited by harleyman170

I used to work at Thomas Turton and Sons, Rolling Mills. Maltravers street, Effingham road area. I was there 1970-1973. I worked on the 14" mill first as cog backer then as Finish backer. We used to roll 4"x 5/8" Flat 20' - 30' long bars, it was hot gruelling, sometimes backbreaking work, but it was one of the happiest times of my life. I was a fit young teenager then with a zest for life and fun. The people i worked with, the stories that were told and the things that were done there were just amazing. I used to push my short handled tongs up against the spinning rollers and clamp onto this red hot lump of metal that literally burst out between the rolls. Running backwards while holding onto the red hot metal, the hook man would then take up the last third of the bar as it came out of the rolls and I would then push forward as it was lifted on top of the rollers and caught by the roller himself before he and his under roller would put it back through the rollers, but this time on its edge. I would repeat the return and catch the last pass as it came out and run it out to the stacker. He and I would then quickly assess its straightness before lifting and dropping it onto its rest then rushing back just in time to catch the next bar as it came through. The whole process would be repeated 20 times a set. I wonder if anyone remembers some of the people that worked there with me: Frank "Loudmouth" Slingsby, Kieth slingsby, Dave "Chopper" Warriner, Big Walt, Pony, Harold, "Arsecooler", Bow legged Eddie, Jack Thomson, Tommy H, Cec, Nigel "the Rocker" . We used to work a two shift system 6-2 and 2-10. It was fun times all the way with this motley crew.

This post brings back memories of the hard work we did but I never felt as if I was being hard done too because we all worked hard.I can see that where you worked they also had some good nicknames.Ours were Cockeyes,Herculese,Asre bandit,Jimmy Cagney,Tashy,Garth,Finger John,Sh@@gy,Smelly,Toulouse le sneck,Clarence, the cockeyed lion etc.etc.Great days.

Does anyone remember the Power cuts that Occurred during the early seventies? Edward Heath and his Tory Government implemented them. It was a weird feeling when all power was lost and you were working your set, the rolls suddenly slowed down, and then the pulleys just stopped. It was panic stations trying to roll out the billet that was already on the rolls, the roller shouting out commands, Ha ha, in the end we sometimes just had to give in and end up chopping the bar up. We all used to gather around the furnace then to keep warm and drink tea, and play cards til the power came back on. Everybody pulled together though, because we still had to get the work done and our quota met by the end of the week. Dark times, but Happy days.

hello i worked in the rolling mills nearly all my life from 1955 they were sheet mills

worked at kenyons johnny woods george clarks had lot of great times and wages lol

Has anyone seen this? http://www.songsofsteel.com

It's a history project they've been doing about Steelos and Parkgate in Rotherham. They have a film with old archive footage coming out. It's an interesting website. There's also a performance at the Rotherham Civic on March 14th.

I received this message by email: "hello pulse room do i know u i worked at hobson houghton on saville st with my brothers mt name is myers there was tom doug and ray and the foremans name was alex moore i worked in the big mill hope i know u". However I cannot respond to you by email because of your security? I can remember you, I worked in the big mill also and remeber Alex Moore very well, he was a great guy. I remember Taffi, John Cutts and I think the name of the roller was Hague. I was about 20 years of age and had blond hair.

Please get in touch if possible.

Ian

hello ian it must have been around the same time i remember taffa and john cutts the rollers name wae arther hague also they were joe bryan cyril clark and many mare i have not put on wen finished we used to go in the hole in the wall 4 a pint take care ian tom

:love::love:

I received this message by email: "hello pulse room do i know u i worked at hobson houghton on saville st with my brothers mt name is myers there was tom doug and ray and the foremans name was alex moore i worked in the big mill hope i know u". However I cannot respond to you by email because of your security? I can remember you, I worked in the big mill also and remeber Alex Moore very well, he was a great guy. I remember Taffi, John Cutts and I think the name of the roller was Hague. I was about 20 years of age and had blond hair.

Please get in touch if possible.

Ian

Maybe we could meet up Tom, I'll be in Sheffield on Friday this week during the day, I'll be going up Eccleshall Road to a music shop. I can meet you anywhere in sheffield once I have been there. It would be good to talk about times at Hobson Houghton.

I remember on nights we used to cut pieces off Sulfuric acid and throw it in the Don and it exploded. Lots of good times there and in Hole in the Wall after and sometimes before work.

I met John and Phillip Cutts last year on Phillips 60th birthday, he put me up for the night, he lives in Mosborough. At the time of working at H H I lived in Beighton and travelled to Sheffield on the 25 bus to pond st.

It would be nice to meet you Tom. Let me know, I can give you my telephone number to make contact.

Ian

hello ian sorry i will not be able two meet you on friday the caravan will be open at skeegyi will be spending a lot off summer down therewith my wife and family i speak to cyril wright a lot on face book i also see adrian cropper a lot in the peaks keep in touch ian take care tom

hello ukebby i rember your dad very well we used 2 work to gether at hobson houghton in the sixties i ve know your dad all my life hope he is still well ask him if he still rembers tom ray and doug myers tell him all the best from some old friends by 4 now