Totley in the 50s and 60s

Whats the Dore iin Dore & Totley ?

Sorry Poppins not really sure what it is you want to know

I'm going to go back further than the fifties. December 15th 1940, our house in Tinsley and some others were destroyed by a german sea mine dropped by parachute during the second Sheffield blitz. We were transported to a church hall on Baslow Road in Totley where we spent a couple of nights. On the first night, the air raid siren went, scaring us all. One of the very kind ladies of Totley assured us we were perfectly safe since the nearest bomb had fallen over a mile away from Totley! How dare the Germans even think of it. My cousin from Attercliffe had his home also damaged beyond repair, and they were with us. Most of us were housed with Totley families for a while, generally with hospitality, but the classes didn't mix well. My cousin and I went carolling Christmas eve, and we earned more money than we had ever done before. Thank you Totley for the great help you gave us so long ago.

Whats the Dore iin Dore & Totley ?
Dore is Dore, and Totley is Totley, why they should be joined I've no idea. They're not even geographically close. Beauchief and Totley yes, but Dore is more uppity, more like Greenwich, Connecticut not Bridgeport.:)

Dore is Dore, and Totley is Totley, why they should be joined I've no idea. They're not even geographically close. Beauchief and Totley yes, but Dore is more uppity, more like Greenwich, Connecticut not Bridgeport.:)

As stated on this thread, it's probably because the railway station and the golf course are named in that way, Dore and Totley are as connected as Totley and Beauchief.

As stated on this thread, it's probably because the railway station and the golf course are named in that way, Dore and Totley are as connected as Totley and Beauchief.

Empty your pm box...........

I left school in the Easter Holidays of 1959, just before my Fifteen Birthday.

Thanks for bring back the memories from that time in my life.

Hello Balthasar, spoke to Mick Cooper today and he says he knows who you are. Have you a sister called Pam, if so remember her as a good friend. We lived on Moss Road (that a good enough clue). Linda at the farm was a good friend to us all and especially my mum. I remember Paul Warburton and Sid Smith. I used to see Paul regularly whilst nursing in Sheffield. Ian Archibold, John Wooffinden, Dave Hughes and Malcolm Lake were called "The Saints and Sinners" and were known to play at the Totley All Saints Youth Club. Anybody remember Michael Wright (Bergy), always dressed in black.

hello pennina, ask mick to have another think its along time now .when we left

totley c of e .i can just remember a farm at the bottom of moss road on the right hand side going up can not remember the name of the girl that lived there but i would stop and talk to her .also had a. friend who lived next to the rifle range chris johnson .

Hi Paul

Hi Aries22. The year would be around 1959. Remember Jackie Coulthard and her friends

Can't believe you mentioned - my very first 'date'. Not much of a date though because I was so shy my legs turned to jelly. Met her at one of 'Trott's' barbecues.

Did anyone know Norah Fiddler who lived in Totley Rise in the 60's,70's and 80's?

Surely the Dore and Totley golf course is actually in Bradway isn't it? My late Father in Law was a life member of it. I know the Totley tunnel runs under it. The smoke outlets were a golf hazard. Edited by buck

The answer's here:

Dore and Totley is a private members golf club founded in 1913. Situated in the Sheffield suburb of Bradway its name is derived from a time when the playing of golf in the Sheffield Union was prohibited on a Sunday. A dedicated group of golfers formed the club to continue playing, but named it after the local railway station, trains being the best means of travelling beyond the city limits at this time. The mature parkland course is probably the least undulating, within the Sheffield area, with its subtle features making it an excellent course for golfers of all levels who will need to play well to achieve a low score.