Totley in the 50s and 60s

Hi Captain Scarlet. Just wondered what your connection with Totley in the 80s was. Did you live, work or study there? Totally agree with you on the bus terminus not being by the Cross. Just not right.

dreb48/ crookesey ,mick was a real good friend ,from the river that you used to dam we caught trout then put them in the old swimming pool that was fenced of on the rifle range ;methodist youth club thursdays but i whent more to the friday one at united reformed church on totley brook. can you remember the family that had alot to do with the boys brigade think they lived bottom of green oak ave .bred 48 had you left totley c of e when when every one at the school whent out collecting jumble. the sale was to raise money for the building of the church hall for totley all saints

Balthasar. The only family i can think of that was involved in Boys Brigade were the Savage family who lived on Green Oak Drive. They had two lads Mick and Brian who was deaf and dumb. I think Dave Lilleyman who lived next door was also involved but I may be wrong. Went to Union Youth Club on Friday nights. There was also one at C of E school on friday. Remember going there the night Kennedy was assassinated ( you always remember as they say ). For a short time there was one in the crypt at All Saints Church on Sunday nights

When I was a kid growing up in S12, everyone referred to Dore and Totley as one district. The forum members who continually slag off these separate areas do the same.

My grandfather remembered Totley as being predominantly inhabited by ex tunnelers, scythe makers and pig farmers, not a snob in sight. :hihi:

dreb48 ,i now remember brian savage ,our paths must have crossed at some time i was also at cof e the night kennedy was assassinated ,can remember raymond drury telling some of us about kennedy being killed we thought it was a joke at first .i then lived on summer lane .had a good mate at county school he may have been a little younger the you john wright he then lived bottom end of green oak road .can you or crookesey recall when you came to the end of the footpath chapple walk on to penny lane in the woods there

was an old shack that burnt down was it just a old wives tale that some hermit lived there could see the shack burning looking down from c of e

also remember when the moors where on fire came right over to the rifle range had a ride in an old green goddes when they whent to fill up the water tank.the fire lit up the sky at night. did you ever go to have a look at that old mine near fairthorn dore .

Hi Balthasar I realised from some of the things you've talked about that we must have been in the same place at the same time at some point. At that time Totley had quite a small social circle so wherever you went you saw the same people. I think it changed a bit when they built Bradway estate, you suddenly started seeing different faces. Can't recollect the hut you talk of and never went to an old mine but remember moors on fire. Don't think you ever forget that smell. Do you remember a glider crashing in the field behind the Fleur and watching the aerobatics over Cherry Tree orphanage when they had the annual air display at Norton Aerodrome? Am trying to rack my brains to see if i can place John Wright