Totley in the 50s and 60s

Hi Balthasar I realised from some of the things you've talked about that we must have been in the same place at the same time at some point. At that time Totley had quite a small social circle so wherever you went you saw the same people. I think it changed a bit when they built Bradway estate, you suddenly started seeing different faces. Can't recollect the hut you talk of and never went to an old mine but remember moors on fire. Don't think you ever forget that smell. Do you remember a glider crashing in the field behind the Fleur and watching the aerobatics over Cherry Tree orphanage when they had the annual air display at Norton Aerodrome? Am trying to rack my brains to see if i can place John Wright

Hi Crookesey. The only thing that's Dore and Totley to me is the railway station

Hi Crookesey. The only thing that's Dore and Totley to me is the railway station

And the golf club. ;)

I stand corrected

The good thing about Dore in those days was Dore Dance. Saw some great local bands there. There were bands on at St Johns on Abbeydale Rd South, Methodist YC and at the Fleur of course. Johnie Hawk and the Falcons was I think the first i saw at the youth club. Remember hanging about the car park at the Fleur to hear Vance Arnold when he was a regular there. Eventually the buzz of seeing live bands meant catching the 45 to town and the Esquire. A whole new story.

Hi Dreb48 - would I be right in assuming your name is Paul?

Whatever happened to Ned?

My recollections of Totley Rise were the abundance of old cars owned by Derek Burnand paked all over the waste ground that later became the dual carriageway.

Hi Captain Scarlet. Just wondered what your connection with Totley in the 80s was. Did you live, work or study there? Totally agree with you on the bus terminus not being by the Cross. Just not right.
My Mother is from Totley. Grandmother first lived on Abbeydale Park then Overcroft Rise behind the Fleur. I only spent my holidays there but lived in the village my-self for a few months in 2002 when Myra's closed and passed on to the couple that both went bonkers, literally.

I was also there in 1999 when the Polytechnic tower was dynamited, we were all in the field behind the uni campus, on the way to the Totley Brook.

Hi ping. Yes that's me. Lost touch with Ned years ago. He was best man at my wedding in 1974. He was a hospital administrator and moved up to Keighley to work at Airedale General. Are you Adrian?

Hi ping. Yes that's me. Lost touch with Ned years ago. He was best man at my wedding in 1974. He was a hospital administrator and moved up to Keighley to work at Airedale General. Are you Adrian?

Yes that's me. Amazing how writing names backwards has stuck over all these years.

Hi Adrian. Lost that nickname when I left Totley so when I started the thread hoped somebody might make the connection. That idea started at junior school as you remember. Am surprised no one else has been on that went to Totley County in that period. Remember Burnands pile of abandoned cars at the end of Glover Rd. Think you lived on Marstone Cres at that time. Have you come across anyone else from those times?

Hi Paul,

It was Stonecroft Road so Marstone was close. There's a few I have contacted in the last couple of years namely:

Rik Jerrom

Roger Glossop

Micheal Witherley

David Hope

All resided at the above. You may be interested in the photo below posted on friends reunited:

http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/album.page/album?albumKey=148649&albumType=SchoolAlbum&member_key=4586853&mediaKey=719626726&commentPage=0

Hi ping. Have checked out the photo that you gave the link for. Can't understand where i was that day. Must have been throwing a sicky. Some names I can remember who are on there : Elaine Russell, Helen Proudlock, Mark Tiddy, Janet Fletcher, Peter Kippax. Have got photos from Reception Class and Final Year somewhere that have got names on the back. Will try and dig them out. Am sure the teacher is Miss White. Can also remember Miss Willoughby and Mr Roberts and the headmistress Miss Clarebrugh. Realise now it wasn't Marstone. Went to your house a couple of times and can place where it is now