Totley in the 50s and 60s

I lived & went to school in Totley sometime around 1956/7. Memory tells I attended the junior school. Was there a primary & junior school in Totley at this time?

I also have a group picture of Miss White's class.

Sadly, I don't remember any of the names of my classmates. If it's of interest, I could post it on Friends Reunited & then put the link in a message here so folks can go to it and see it.

I only have a few memories of Totley - can't stop to post them now, will pop by again to share!

it was the same charlie drury that won a stars in your eyes at brannigans as his hero joe cocker and he gets up now and then at kareoke nights doing cocker , he had a group called the rubber band and they played at the youth club at totley rise rays school pal was totley ted aka philip wright any one remember the rubber band, they played at the birley hotel on the same night as joe did

Hi Halkynuk

I lived & went to school in Totley sometime around 1956/7. Memory tells I attended the junior school. Was there a primary & junior school in Totley at this time?

TCS was an infant and junior school. I was at TCS in 56/57 so would be interested to see your pic of Miss White's class.

I had a girlfriend who lived on Totley Brook Road in the 1950's, her name was Margaret Nicholson. Does anyone know what became of her?

Mike

Hi there, I lived on Furniss Ave in the late 50s and 60s, my name is David Hall, I now live near Byron Bay, Australia. I went to Totley County, remember Miss Willoby and Mr Clements and the commandant, Miss Clareborough. Totley was a great place then. Riding bikes on the aquaduct was good. Thanks for the thread!

And I remember the Dore Dances, had my first kiss there with the Rats from Hull playing, they later played with Bowie on his first 4 albums. Mick Ronson sat on the edge of the stage and improvised, I'd never seen that before, I was amazed.

Hi David. Can't remember Mr Clements but you're dead right about Miss Clarebrugh. Spent a lot of time down the aqueduct. Bike riding there extremely tricky if the river was flowing fast. Also remember seeing The Rats but don't know whether it was there or at St Oswalds church hall

went to school with Ken Rawlings then known as "nodge". Do you remember the Cooper sisters who lived at the Rifle Range, or Ian Archibald whose parents were caretakers of Cherry Tree Orphanage. Anyone from Totley Bents, Julie or John Wooffinden.

Hi pennina. I also remember Ken as Nodge. The Coopers have already been mentioned previously on this thread. Both I and Balthasar knew Mick their brother. Can vaguely remember a boy nicknamed Archie who could have been Ian. Can't remember anyone called Wooffinden at the moment

went to school with Ken Rawlings then known as "nodge". Do you remember the Cooper sisters who lived at the Rifle Range, or Ian Archibald whose parents were caretakers of Cherry Tree Orphanage. Anyone from Totley Bents, Julie or John Wooffinden.

Ken still looks great, unlike his elder brother Bud, who looks as though he's swallowed a cow. I still see Linda, from the old farm on Lane Head, she sold up and now lives on Totley Grange, but retained some land to keep her horses on, a top lady is Linda.

Ken still looks great, unlike his elder brother Bud, who looks as though he's swallowed a cow. I still see Linda, from the old farm on Lane Head, she sold up and now lives on Totley Grange, but retained some land to keep her horses on, a top lady is Linda.

hiya crookesey i don't know you, but i find your letters a good read, best when you call a spade a spade, anyway the totley i knew years ago was the time in the late fifties when we had the flooding down from totley through millhouses down to heeley, i worked on the corp as it was known at that time and couldn't believe the damage that was done ,we were on the rise and talking to one bloke about the night when they were in bed and heard a rumbling and when the got up his garage on the side of his house was just breaking up along with his car all floating away, further down the wreckage to the tennis courts and lido, and river walls, at heeley bridge ,the river one not the railway bridge, the water was around 6 to 12 inches below full bore mind not much is mentioned obout it over the years.