Totley in the 50s and 60s

I know it's asking alot but can anybody remember the sequence of the shops on Totley Rise?

Starting at Grattons and working down to Bonners. I can remember 2 butchers, one of which was Tyms, a cobblers, the PO, the chemists, Springs sweet shop and the chip shop. I just can't fill in the gaps or get them in the right order.

Starting from the bottom (in the late 1960's) :-

John Bonner - Newsagent

Higgins - Fish & Chip Shop

Ernest Chamber - Fishmongers

Burton - Chemist

Whitehead's - Drapers

Willars - Shoe Repairs

Spring's - Sweet Shop

Robinsons - Grocers

Blaskey's - Drapers

Eric Bryars - Restawhile Cafe & pastryshop

Lawrence Tym - Butchers

Damms -Shoe Repairs

Shentall - Grocers

Jacksons - Post Office

Colin Thompson - Butchers

Grattons - Grocers & Beer Off.

I know it's asking alot but can anybody remember the sequence of the shops on Totley Rise?

Starting at Grattons and working down to Bonners. I can remember 2 butchers, one of which was Tyms, a cobblers, the PO, the chemists, Springs sweet shop and the chip shop. I just can't fill in the gaps or get them in the right order.

Here's from late 60's

Jas Gratton

Colin Thompson (Butcher)

Ernest Jackson (PO)

John Shentall (Grocer)

Reg Damms (Boot repairs)

Lawrence Tym (Butcher)

Eric Byers (Pastrycook)

The Baby Bar (Drapers)

FW Robinson (Grocer)

Edith Spring (Confectioner)

Geoff Willars (Boot & Shoe repars)

I&R Whitehead (Handicrafts)

C. Burton (Chemist) - Was Charles Thomspon in 50's

Ernest Chamber & Son (Fishmonger)

A&I Higgins (Fried fish dealer) Was E Littlewood in 50's

John Bonner (Newsagent)

Thanks Clarkettly and Gregnig

How you both remember that is astounding or maybe my memories not as good as I thought it was.

Gregnig, yet again you've managed to fill in the gaps as in previous posts.

Ok, on the opposite side of Totley Rise opposite Marstone Garage there were shops that were set back. I remember going to Harpers hairdressers on the corner and I have a vague recollection of a Davys being there and an electricians. Am I correct and were there more?

I know it's asking alot but can anybody remember the sequence of the shops on Totley Rise?...
Here are scans from the Kelly's directories for 1954 and 1973..:)

---------- Post added 08-02-2013 at 13:30 ----------

Ok, on the opposite side of Totley Rise opposite Marstone Garage there were shops that were set back....

This from the 1973 directory..:)

Dreb48

Shops opposite Marstone Garage in the late 1960's :-

Purdys - decorators

Evans - greengrocers

National Provincial Bank

Whalleys - electrical shop

Harpers - hairdressers

Credit to Philip (Hillsbro.) who gave me the idea of buying old Kelly's Sheffield Directories!!

Edited by gregnig

Hi Dreb, Gregnig and all, my wife and I sat with pen and paper and managed the following without the use of a a Kellys and then I logged on only to see we had been soundly beaten to it (Wife got more than I did).

Grattons ~ Thompsons ~ P.O. ~ Hairdressers ~ Cobblers ~ Davy's ~ Erics ~ Robinsons ~ Willars ~ Springs ~ Whiteheads ~ Chemists ~ Chambers ~ Littlewoods ~ Scrivens ~ Houses ~ Bonners.

Not too bad eh!

Well I know Philip ( Hillsboro ) is a whizz with the Kelly's and researching family trees. It's that superb analytical mind that we ex-pupils of King Edwards possess !

Sharrovian, there's no way I could have got anywhere near that many and Clarkettly if you managed that result without Kelly's I'm impressed.

I'm quite confused with the answers to the shops on the other side. I feel convinced that in the 50s the grocers in that block was a Davys or similar. Evans doesn't ring a bell with me

Dreb48 - I too remember Davy's shop on the bank side. We used to go to the neighbouring greengrocers to beg empty wooden boxes . We would then attempt to make rabbit hutches etc. out of them.

Hi gregnig.

That must mean Davys was where the National Provincial was latterly. I've no recollection of a bank being there. Everything else seems to fit though I don't remember a decorators on that block particularly.

This would all be at a time before the dual carriageway was introduced I suppose

My wife seems to remember that Davys was on the bankside and then moved on to the Rise. Purdys was the decorators.

Hi Dreb!

I've just become aware of this forum, and did indeed live in one of the prefabs. I was even in the same class as you at cowsheds! I have a record of everyone's name in Pop Roberts class. I've really enjoyed all the reminiscences.

Until his untimely death in 1970 my father was park keeper in the rec. and my sister still lives in Totley.

Not many people know that 5 of the prefab residents on Aldam Road were given 2 weeks notice to move out - it would be around 1961. We received the notice one Saturday morning and were allocated a new house on Fraser Drive. We were about to go on holiday, so couldn't leave. We came back to 3 empty prefabs! None of the residents wanted to move, so we complained to the council, who retracted the notices and everyone moved back! Why they picked us we never found out.

I used to work in Sid Evans' greengrocers on the rise, as did my mother. She also worked for Eric Briers, John Bonner and later Pete Swift. Incidentally, the newsagents was called Tophams before belonging to John Bonner