The IKEA in Sheffield thread

Opening next June I think, or is it July? I can guarantee that 100%.

Edited by Saffy
Added an extra bit.

Is the new road that passes under the viaduct and joins up with Meadowhall part of the IKEA plan?

Is the new road that passes under the viaduct and joins up with Meadowhall part of the IKEA plan?

I don't think that's the case. Pretty sure that was happening regardless. I think any money secured from IKEA for road improvements is just for the junctions by the store.

Not 100% on the details though - can anyone correct me?

I don't think that's the case. Pretty sure that was happening regardless. I think any money secured from IKEA for road improvements is just for the junctions by the store.

Not 100% on the details though - can anyone correct me?

Nothing to do with IKEA or tram-train, it's this:

http://www.sypte.co.uk/brtnorth/

Will it be accessible on the tram?

Will it be accessible on the tram?

Carbrook tram stop is right next to the site

Old Tinsley Wire site on Attercliffe Road, next to Meadowhall Retail Park.

^^^

It's on the A6178, across from the Porsche & Mercedes dealerships.

Basically, there (the red brick walls have since gone, earthworks on the site are ongoing right now).

Sorry for not searching the 100+ pages to see all the discussion on this but.....I went past the site of the new Ikea the other day and work has started in earnest. Now I know there are plans to add a 3rd lane to the road and remodel the Roundabout under the M1 but if that's all they plan to do to relieve traffic flow then I am sorry but having seen the amount of traffic that the Ikeas at Nottingham Warrington and Leeds generate then this is going to be a total disaster!! traffic wise. The road system through Tinsley / Meadowhall and Junction 34 is barley adequate as it is, gridlocked from 4 while 6 most days and Christmas shoppers queuing down the M1 for Meadowhall will be doubled in number when it does open. I am all in favourer of the benefits that Ikea will bring to the area and city (jobs visitors to the city etc etc) but without some wholesale changes to the area infrastructure it will be a complete fiasco. Just sayin'.....

[snip] I am sorry but having seen the amount of traffic that the Ikeas at Nottingham Warrington and Leeds generate then this is going to be a total disaster!! traffic wise.

I am not convinced this is necessarily the case; I lived near Warrington when the first Ikea opened and the traffic was truly spectacular. These days not so much at all, and there's there's even a few more 'mega store' places on the same park. I also used to have the pleasure of regularly trying to get to Bradford on the M62 and the Ikea junction at Batley was notorious at practically any time of day (in fact it was a one-word excuse for being late). The last two-three years I have just sailed through barely needing to slow down. I don't know where all the traffic has gone, but it seems to have mostly gone. I have also never seen a major queue for the Ashton-Under-Lyme one off the M60.

I don't doubt there will be a huge crush when Sheffield opens (my advice, go to Nottingham or Batley for a while longer), but I reckon, give it a year and it'll be just another place.