The IKEA in Sheffield thread

Hello all

I read somewhere that ikea were intrested in redeveloping the castlegate area with an IKEA superstore if they cannot open one in there intended site off the Parkway. Could this be the councils reasons for refusing permission on the Parkway site?

What do you all think of it as an idea to regenerate this area?

I think it would be excellent and much needed in this particular area and it would certainly improve the local economy and attract people to the city centre.

I agree something's needs to improve the area as it's not very appealing as it stands

I for one can't wait to get down there on the opening weekend so I can get stuck in a 4 hour gridlocked traffic jam!

I for one can't wait to get down there on the opening weekend so I can get stuck in a 4 hour gridlocked traffic jam!

No different from rush hour down there now then.

No different from rush hour down there now then.

Come off it, going to be 5 times worse at busy times.

Not exactly part of this thread, but I was recently stuck on the Tinsley viauct for nearly an hour. The traffic was horendous, backed up right down the M1 and Shepcote lane. The traffic lights at the end of the bridge were staying 1 and a half minutes on red and just 6 seconds on green. I timed it, well I had nothing else to do... This small detail which could be easily rectified gummed up the whole works.

I hope they manage to do better than this when IKEA is up and running.

Not exactly part of this thread, but I was recently stuck on the Tinsley viauct for nearly an hour. The traffic was horendous, backed up right down the M1 and Shepcote lane. The traffic lights at the end of the bridge were staying 1 and a half minutes on red and just 6 seconds on green. I timed it, well I had nothing else to do... This small detail which could be easily rectified gummed up the whole works.

I hope they manage to do better than this when IKEA is up and running.

Its always terrible on that roundabout. The council designed the traffic light sequence on the roundabout to favour the smaller junctions as they found it difficult to enter the roundabout. Its just a mess though. Apparently Sheffield council traffic planners use advanced modelling software to predict traffic flow to minimise traffic jams. Personally I think they just like to penalise car users so they can tell you that we'd all be so much better off if we caught a bus. I've no doubt that when ikea opens the revised traffic scheme will include more traffic lights to make the area even more congested

We don't use that intersection there often but have already decided that when Ikea comes we will use parkway and a route through darnall to go around it.

Funny we made that decision before ikea has even opened yet. But you don't need a crystal ball to see what is going to happen in the future around there.

They need to do something the whole area is a complete nightmare at rush hour and weekends, often completely gridlocked. What's going to happen once ikea opens and they have something on at the arena!

They need to do something the whole area is a complete nightmare at rush hour and weekends, often completely gridlocked. What's going to happen once ikea opens and they have something on at the arena!

That is a silly question, you know what will happen.

That is a silly question, you know what will happen.

It wasn't a question.

It wasn't a question.

I know. Just being silly, what is going to happen will unfortunately not be a joke.

I know. Just being silly, what is going to happen will unfortunately not be a joke.

I drove down there on Sunday and the queue was backed up to the Tinsley roundabout. It was absolute chaos. I think I will give the area a very wide berth once the place is up and running.