The IKEA in Sheffield thread

I bet the building gets rickety after a couple of months ;)

An article on the television last night said Ikea is almost certain to be opening a store in Sheffield.

With the garbage they sell it will be the biggest junk shop in Sheffield. Imagine, a Swedish company selling Chinese and other imported rubbish in Sheffield, there's enough junk shops already. Also think of the traffic problems it will cause. Anyone who can remember how easy it was getting to the motorway before Meadowhall opened will know what I mean. Let's hope it doesn't happen.

What we really need is industry.

Hmm, I wonder why it was so easy getting to the moterway before meadowhall. Perhaps the fact that 30 yrs ago there were less cars??

As for industry? Im afraid THAT boat sailed many many years ago, sent on its way by the conservative bitch

Hello all

I read somewhere that ikea were intrested in redeveloping the castlegate area with an IKEA superstore if they cannot open one in there intended site off the Parkway. Could this be the councils reasons for refusing permission on the Parkway site?

What do you all think of it as an idea to regenerate this area?

I think it would be excellent and much needed in this particular area and it would certainly improve the local economy and attract people to the city centre.

where ever they put it will have to have parking space fro a couple of thousand parking spaces so it won't be in the city centre it will also need plenty more land for other retail outlets like the Nottingham one I have subjected using the old Norton aerodrome which as stood empty for the last 60 years as I now. but is said that the council won't le them build any more stores in the north they think that's there's to many in the country already

Finally!! From the start of this thread (12/01/2004) and 137 pages later, IKEA is finally coming!:clap::clap::partyhat:

It'll be worth the wait.

People on Shefffield Forum have been waiting nearly a decade to never go in to the store but moan and complain about it.

I've got about a million of those little allen keys knocking around if they need to borrow any....

Ikea bosses have expressed their delight at the final go-ahead for a new Sheffield store

- but can't yet say when it will open.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/ikea-delighted-by-approval-for-sheffield-store-1-6798563

Another 10 years then :rolleyes:

Someone on another forum I go on seemed to suggest Ikea do have a knack of dragging their heels in actually constructing some of their stores, that could be complete rubbish though.

It can actually be worth something - having the planning consent - to Ikea, without actually having a built shop taking custom. It's a valuable asset. Although, Ikea will build it eventually (sometimes, say with city centre apartment blocks, developers may seek planning permission for a building they never intend to build, if selling the land with planning permission attached is more valuable).

Our local school has just become an IKEA sponsored academy. The standards may be fine, but assembly takes ages, boom boom

Our local school has just become an IKEA sponsored academy. The standards may be fine, but assembly takes ages, boom boom

Very good, a free bag of screws to you :hihi:

i heard today's ot from a very reliable source that old chestnut of a topic about that well known Swedish firm that make furniture maker as been given to idea to build a new super store on the old tinsley wire factory used to be. I believe is true and not another rumour as anyone else confirm this, think of all the jobs it will bring to Sheffield, Rotherham,Barnsley who are all desperate for jobs to come to south Yorkshire what a godsend that will be, not just for idea but for other outlets to be built like the Nottingham one where thEy have the usual fast food. Out

LeTs

i heard today's ot from a very reliable source that old chestnut of a topic about that well known Swedish firm that make furniture maker as been given to idea to build a new super store on the old tinsley wire factory used to be. I believe is true and not another rumour as anyone else confirm this, think of all the jobs it will bring to Sheffield, Rotherham,Barnsley who are all desperate for jobs to come to south Yorkshire what a godsend that will be, not just for idea but for other outlets to be built like the Nottingham one where thEy have the usual fast food. Out

LeTs

where you been for 5 years ? its been on here about ikea