The IKEA in Sheffield thread

As an afterthought - will it be visible from the M1? I suppose it probably is from the viaduct - too late to turn off by then, but it can be in the driver's mind for next time they pass.

I don't think you get a lot of spur-of-the-moment oh-wow-an-IKEA-I'll-just-pop-in-and-buy-a-bookcase passing trade from motorway traffic, for reasons that ought to be obvious. A sign or visible building would be advertising, you're right, but I don't think IKEA worries so much about that.

I don't think you get a lot of spur-of-the-moment oh-wow-an-IKEA-I'll-just-pop-in-and-buy-a-bookcase passing trade from motorway traffic, for reasons that ought to be obvious. A sign or visible building would be advertising, you're right, but I don't think IKEA worries so much about that.

The human mind is very programmable. It is not likely someone just pops in for a bookcase.

But many people pass that motorway on a regular basis and every time see that building. The mechanics of the mind will associate a name and a purpose with that building, then it will figure out its personal relation with that and if you need a bookcase you may not get of the motorway immediately but you will put it immediately in your mental agenda that you have some business with Ikea or at least investigate that matter.

Everytime you pass this process happens. It is like a hammer. You cannot drive a nail in one blow but everytime you pass a little blow and then next time another blow to drive it deeper and deeper.

Certain people it takes 100 blows to drive the nail, others go in one blow but if you are not aware this is how this system works you are under their control.

The human mind is very programmable. It is not likely someone just pops in for a bookcase.

But many people pass that motorway on a regular basis and every time see that building. The mechanics of the mind will associate a name and a purpose with that building, then it will figure out its personal relation with that and if you need a bookcase you may not get of the motorway immediately but you will put it immediately in your mental agenda that you have some business with Ikea or at least investigate that matter.

Everytime you pass this process happens. It is like a hammer. You cannot drive a nail in one blow but everytime you pass a little blow and then next time another blow to drive it deeper and deeper.

Certain people it takes 100 blows to drive the nail, others go in one blow but if you are not aware this is how this system works you are under their control.

So what you're saying is, once you see the sign/logo/colours you know it's there and will remember when you need something which they sell ? :rolleyes:

So what you're saying is, once you see the sign/logo/colours you know it's there and will remember when you need something which they sell ? :rolleyes:

It makes you wonder how all the IKEAs you can't see from the motorway survive...

The one at Giltbrook is a long way from the m/w..well too far to be seen from it anyway..

wembley and purley way and the manchester one isnt next to the motorway

---------- Post added 26-06-2014 at 12:18 ----------

Maybe the overall plan for Donny doesn't include retail at that site...?

sounds daft donnys too close to leeds

wembley and purley way and the manchester one isnt next to the motorway

---------- Post added 26-06-2014 at 12:18 ----------

sounds daft donnys too close to leeds

Distance between proposed Sheffield IKEA site and Leeds City Centre by road - 32.5 miles

Distance between IKEA Doncaster Distribution Centre and Leeds City Centre by road - 41.6 miles

Try again, matey :hihi::hihi:

They do worry about that, very much. otherwise they wouldn't bother with the very clear and very consistent blue and yellow corporate image. You don't see all the different Ikeas in different colour schemes. When they apply for planning permission, the style and colour of the building will be a clear part of their application. Some councils will have very specific restrictions on the visual appearance of buildings, including colour. It would be interesting to see if there are any Ikeas which have had to follow local planning colurs. There may be a few, but I've never seen any. I expect Ikea would fight tooth and nail to get their colour scheme on any new project.

I don't see being able to turn off the motorway on a whim is an issue, but I reckon that the free advertising, to a lot of people, is.

Overall though, the key issue of motorway access must be the ability of a lot of people to find Ikea easy to get to, so that when they want a bookcase (or some meatballs), they decide to go to Ikea, and not anywhere else.

Ikea's coming, end of. Accept it people and enjoy

It makes you wonder how all the IKEAs you can't see from the motorway survive...

Obviously it's not their only source of business and brand promotion, but it is a massive part of it, like any company. A memorable brand image and high visibility to passing potential customers; winning ticket. It's not as spur-of-the-moment as say McDonalds' Golden Arches tempting people in for a quick snack, but it's the same principle, and that brand/image being driven in to the minds of people again and again may ultimately become a deciding factor on the day John Smith decides he needs some furniture and has to decide between Ikea or Next Home Store/John Lewis etc.

It's a very real part of human psychology with a lot of research to back it up.

and the manchester one isnt next to the motorway

Its less than a mile though.

Its less than a mile though.

You certainly cant see it off the M60 though, the junctions around that area are higher than the motorway rather than lower.

Obviously it's not their only source of business and brand promotion, but it is a massive part of it, like any company. A memorable brand image and high visibility to passing potential customers; winning ticket. It's not as spur-of-the-moment as say McDonalds' Golden Arches tempting people in for a quick snack, but it's the same principle, and that brand/image being driven in to the minds of people again and again may ultimately become a deciding factor on the day John Smith decides he needs some furniture and has to decide between Ikea or Next Home Store/John Lewis etc.

It's a very real part of human psychology with a lot of research to back it up.

My original reply on the subject of placement was to Easter Sundae who thought the stores ought to be visible from the motorway, I wasn't arguing that companies don't need an identity..