Massive quake hits Japan 11/3/11

Something is not right with all these Earthquakes.

Something is gearing up :(

Something apparently was - there was a 7.1 quake two days ago, which evidently was a foreshock of this one, and not the major event.

It's never possible to tell until afterwards, whether a quake is a quake in its own right or the foreshock of a larger incident.

If an 8.9 quake is a foreshock to a larger incident, we might see half of Japan fall into the sea next week - but that possibility is remote in the extreme.

Something is not right with all these Earthquakes.

Something is gearing up :(

its what comes from living on a tectonically active planet

Simply horrific.

We share our office building with a Japanese company and a lot of their staff have been very worried today.

All these wars and natural disasters are coming true I see. 2012 :(

Oh God. We'll have the 9/11 Conspiracy Theorists here next, blaming the jews.

I'm sure you knew what you meant but I'm struggling to find any logic in this statement

I'm sure you knew what you meant but I'm struggling to find any logic in this statement

It was inevitable there'd be some natural disaster in 2012; there is some natural disaster or other in every year, after all. It was further inevitable that people would claim that disaster as evidence that the Mayan "prediction of the end of the world" was coming true.

That they never did make such a prediction, passes them by entirely.

If there are an more stupid 'jokey' posts on this thread those responsible will find their accounts suspended. People have died in this disaster show some respect.

Oh my God, imagine being on the top floor:

Edit: Actually, that is an incredible testimony to extremely capable architects/engineers. The capacity for the building to move like that must be built-in. I lived in a twenty storey tower block and in high winds in London the water in the toilet bowl visibly moved. The building was swaying by, I don't know, maybe two centimetres.

Those buildings must be swaying metres off the perpendicular. Incredible.

Edited by spindrift

I never did like skyscrapers - from the upper floors of the World Trade Center, the opposite tower would wobble into view and out again just in normal winds. I dread to imagine being that high during an earthquake - even in a building that was designed to survive it.

The known death toll is now upwards of 350, but many hundreds are unaccounted for and there's no knowing what tomorrow may bring. (It's the late watches of the night currently in Japan.)

Their high rise buildings are state of the art for earthquake resistance but many of the houses are cheap fabricated types. No chance whatosever against a tsunami

My God. Ninth floor:

Here is a Google Translation of the source:

-------------------------

Taiheiyou earthquake on March 11, 2011 northeastern home state of northwestern Chiba Prefecture Earthquake

There is an injury worry. Thank you for your top concern. I'm alright.Thank you for worring about me. Yasushi Taira us safe, thank ?? landlord.

Over time in Japan is because it is the time when the United States.

The video began to vibrate after about 30 seconds passed.

The first shaking off guard took out the camera was small, so obviously wrong

At first I was holding the shelves, a big quake came after a few seconds to start capturing, moving and securing the right locations considered dangerous. Many things have been destroyed.

By the way, is on the ninth floor of the apartment.

No one injured, and serious damage to the fire around, but will continue after the emergency vehicle sirens, then a few hours could often be heard.

Large period, followed by tremors are still small.

Although confused So far not many things fall. There are fine tableware damage

> Comments

All responses are still difficult to comment too many, I will answer in this case.

First of all, thank you very much for your words of everybody concerned.

I was still so high floor, shaking was large, clean up and finish already, ?Bimasen to worry.

And also a message of support from abroad, we are very impressed.

Keenly aware that it is the language barrier is really high

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=611_1299867816