Massive quake hits Japan 11/3/11

And with none of the above the death toll might well be a lot higher

Vastly so; if an 8.9 quake were to strike somewhere in the North Sea, for instance - which thankfully for us is as close to impossible as anything can be - almost the entire British coastline would be simply wiped out, and London would be buried under floodwater. We don't prepare for them, precisely because we know they will never affect us.

Without Japan's strict earthquake regulations and rigorous preparation, we'd be looking at a death toll of millions here, whereas it may turn out to be only hundreds.

For anyone concerned about British citizens they know who are currently in Japan, the Foreign Office now has a dedicated helpline: 0207 008 0000.

The cooling system which failed at Fukushima nuclear plant is expected to be back online shortly; thousands were evacuated as a precaution. Meanwhile, the tsunami has passed through Hawaii with not much impact, which means it's unlikely to cause any damage on the western seaboard of America.

i know that tihs isent anything to do with sheffield

but i just want to send my thougts to all the thousends of

people who have lost thair live's in japan

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Video-Japan-Earthquake-Tokyo-Tsunami-Fears-After-89-Magnitude-Quake-Rocks-Buildings-In-Capital/Article/201103215950160?lpos=World_News_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15950160_Video%3A_Japan_Earthquake%3A_Tokyo_Tsunami_Fears_After_8.9_Magnitude_Quake_Rocks_Buildings_In_Capital

this has been the biggest earthquake ever recorded & is belived to have

killed thousends of people & wiped out genarations of famileys

these poor poor people it so very sad

there is now a Tsunami Alert for New Zealand, the Philippines,

Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, Hawaii, and others. Waves

expected over the next few hours, caused by 8.9 earthquake in Japan :o:(:cry::cry:

i know that tihs isent anything to do with sheffield

but i just want to send my thougts to all the thousends of

people who have lost thair live's in japan

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Video-Japan-Earthquake-Tokyo-Tsunami-Fears-After-89-Magnitude-Quake-Rocks-Buildings-In-Capital/Article/201103215950160?lpos=World_News_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15950160_Video%3A_Japan_Earthquake%3A_Tokyo_Tsunami_Fears_After_8.9_Magnitude_Quake_Rocks_Buildings_In_Capital

this has been the biggest earthquake ever recorded & is belived to have

killed thousends of people & wiped out genarations of famileys

these poor poor people it so very sad

there is now a Tsunami Alert for New Zealand, the Philippines,

Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, Hawaii, and others. Waves

expected over the next few hours, caused by 8.9 earthquake in Japan :o:(:cry::cry:

Please read your own link. It is not the biggest earthquake ever recorded and the death toll isn't thousands.