Massive quake hits Japan 11/3/11

I have been chatting to my son on Skype, he is fine, not much damage in his flat and he didn't see much on the streets as he cycled home.

It was a bit unnerving to chat with him as he kept stopping and saying there was another aftershock, they lasted much longer than I imagined they would, several minutes some of them.

I feel for all the families that haven't been as lucky as Joan and me.

Well thanks for your good wishes on here and managed to speak to them a couple of times now...(thank God for Skype) my son managed to get home to find that his wife had taken the car to go to look for him. They are back together now though and clearing up....not too much damage, broken glass, broken telly, that sort of thing....luckier than most. They are still getting slight tremors and I don't think they will be getting much sleep tonight.

That's good news for you today ...

BBC is quoting a semi-official Japanese news agancy that is reporting between 200 and 300 bodies found on a beach near Sendai.

Live updates

8.9 magnitude earthquake hits the north-east of Japan triggering a tsunami that has caused extensive damage

Waves as high as 10m (33ft) strike Japanese coastal towns, with numerous casualties feared

A tsunami warning covers Japan, the Philippines, Hawaii, the Pacific coast of Russia, Indonesia, Taiwan, Australia, New Zealand and also Central and South America

It is the 7th biggest earthquake in history

Jesus Christ...

Its terrible isn't it and very scary

Lets hope there are not too many deaths and injuries.

Our thoughts are with all those affected

BBC is quoting a semi-official Japanese news agancy that is reporting between 200 and 300 bodies found on a beach near Sendai.

Live updates

Looking at the footage of the devastation on the news it sadly looks like there'll be many more.

Some very disturbing pictures on sky news, this is really bad.

Well thanks for your good wishes on here and managed to speak to them a couple of times now...(thank God for Skype) my son managed to get home to find that his wife had taken the car to go to look for him. They are back together now though and clearing up....not too much damage, broken glass, broken telly, that sort of thing....luckier than most. They are still getting slight tremors and I don't think they will be getting much sleep tonight.

Thank god you've been in touch with your son you must have been going out of your mind, keep us informed Joan, pm me if you wish. xxx

11 March 2011, an earthquake of magnitude 8.9 has struck off the north-eastern coast of Japan a few hours ago. The country's entire infrastructure has been built around the expectation of such calamities ...as a nation, the Japanese are always prepared to deal with such occurences. Buildings are reinforced to withstand strong quakes, walls are erected along beaches to keep out tsunami waters, loudspeakers are installed along streets to warn and guide people about the plan of action. And despite that, life within the country has come to a shocking standstill as dead bodies keep piling high along the coast (latest death tolls indicate 300+ and counting).

May God have mercy upon their souls and thank God our island nation is not on a volatile tectonic belt. And yet, just the images on BBC/Sky/CNN gave me the shivers ... what would we do if any natural disaster of such magnitude occurred here on our beloved soils? Would we be organised and calm, supportive of each other on streets, calmly evacuating our homes and roads to reach safer grounds. Or would all hell break lose?

Yesterday, a single over-turned lorry close to St. Ann's roundabout managed to create a traffic hold-up for more than 3 hours. There was no back-up plan. What would we really do? :suspect:

Yesterday, a single over-turned lorry close to St. Ann's roundabout managed to create a traffic hold-up for more than 3 hours. There was no back-up plan. What would we really do? :suspect:

There's no need for a back up plan. The services are notified, they go. The police implement diversions or contra flows to keep traffic moving if at all possible while the ambulance and fire services get on with the removal of injured parties. If they decide to stay at home and watch soaps, THEN we need a back up plan.

11 March 2011, an earthquake of magnitude 8.9 has struck off the north-eastern coast of Japan a few hours ago. The country's entire infrastructure has been built around the expectation of such calamities ...as a nation, the Japanese are always prepared to deal with such occurences. Buildings are reinforced to withstand strong quakes, walls are erected along beaches to keep out tsunami waters, loudspeakers are installed along streets to warn and guide people about the plan of action. And despite that, life within the country has come to a shocking standstill as dead bodies keep piling high along the coast (latest death tolls indicate 300+ and counting)

And with none of the above the death toll might well be a lot higher

Anyway I'm sure SCC have contingency plans in a filing cabinet somewhere for just such a thing.....