Massive quake hits Japan 11/3/11

This looks like a bad one, just been watching scenes of a Tsunami hitting on BBC news. Buildings, bridges and boats being swept along.

My son skyped me at 6 this morning saying that this was the worst one he has known in the twenty odd years since he's been there. He was walking home from a class that he'd been doing and still was about 2 hours away. No landlines and he hadn't been able to contact his wife. I could hear the sirens in the background and it was very scary hearing that at the same time as seing stuff on the news.....To say I'm worried sick is a bit of an understatement......

Oh Joan I hope your son and his family are ok. My heart goes out to you.

sickening, truely sickening. Just whatched the roads with moving vehicles get swept away.

Edited by Mecky

Video from the quake. The earth moving appears to go on for about 2 mins or so into the taping.

I would be creeped the hell out. Apparently a Tsunami warning has been issued for Hawaii...

Joan - hope your family and their loved ones are safe. I couldnt imagine going through what you are at this moment. My family is all over the world as well and its bad enough to just waiting out hurricanes and snowstorms let alone a tsunami.

That particular spot has been rumbling for two days, and I had a horrible feeling that they were foreshocks of something seriously big.

Let us hope, now, that the authorities had the same horrible feeling and laid down enough warnings to save a great many lives. The Japanese have been living with huge earthquakes for centuries, and are as well prepared as any nation could be.

there was somthing in the sun yesterday saying this would happen soon somthing to do do with the moon passing closer .but it forcast it for 19 march .said it cud be all over the world .it came sooner than predicted .hope the ladys family is ok

there was somthing in the sun yesterday saying this would happen soon somthing to do do with the moon passing closer .but it forcast it for 19 march

The Moon has no bearing whatsoever on earthquakes, and never has done.

The Moon has no bearing whatsoever on earthquakes, and never has done.

No, but it does on Tsunamis. If the moon is particularly close, it will pull the ocean to slightly higher levels over the Pacific region overnight...

No, but it does on Tsunamis. If the moon is particularly close, it will pull the ocean to slightly higher levels over the Pacific region overnight...

Ah so the Tsunami warning has been issued because of the moon?

Nothing to do with the massive earthquake then?

Ah so the Tsunami warning has been issued because of the moon?

Nothing to do with the massive earthquake then?

The size of the tsunami, once it exists, would be modified (very slightly, I think!) depending on whether it's low tide or high tide, and the proximity of Moon to Earth could have a bearing on that. I'm not capable of doing the mathematics but I think the effect would be trivial. I've never seen or heard of any report saying that a tsunami was worse because it struck at high tide.

All of this, though, is a far cry from someone claiming to have predicted an earthquake because the Moon was nearer to Earth than the average. The Moon is nearer to Earth than the average on a very regular and predictable basis, but earthquakes are not predictable in the slightest, and certainly not regular.

there was somthing in the sun yesterday saying this would happen soon somthing to do do with the moon passing closer .but it forcast it for 19 march .said it cud be all over the world .it came sooner than predicted .hope the ladys family is ok

I think this is probably what you are thinking about.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/kiwis-terrified-by-fresh-earthquake-prediction/story-e6frf7jx-1226015375215