Is SF more strict than it used to be?

Clean out you PM box Jabbers ... it's full! :)

I clear it out and its full again in under an hour! Its driving me sane!

SF reminds me of a typical local pub.

You get the regulars who think they somehow own the pub, and refuse to abide by the landlord's (Moderators) rules. You also get the one's who have an issue with authority, the people who are antagonistic, and people who like to argue, for arguments sake.

You also get people who are barred/banned, and try and dupe the landlord by dressing differently, or using another name.

If I didn't like the way my landlord ran my pub, or the people frequenting it, I would boycott it and find another pub.

Exactly what I intend to do!

You're a forummer as well... To assume that everyone who posts is the same is a huge mistake.

There you go again Cyclone, not reading the post correctly. I said "many forummers", not ALL forummers. Thank God we are not all the same.

So you choose to ignore the rules and then get uppity when they're enforced.

The deletion reinforces that users cause deletions.

I dont get 'uppity', but I do maintain a sense of humour, often in the face of adversity. No offence meant. :)

The thing that really interests me is why the moderators do it? What's in it? I would have thought it's a pretty thankless task being a moderator.

So, does any moderator want to reply? I would be interested to know why you want to be a moderator as it must be very time consuming and probably takes away a lot of the enjoyment of participating in the forum.

hi, sorry I'm late to the discussion, I've been a little busy over christmas and new year and I only found out about this late yesterday and it's taken me a while to catch up

why do I do this ?

I have had a lot out of the forum in the years I've been a member it's only fair to give something back, I'll admit it was flattering to be asked and I was a bit curious to see how it all worked, I did worry a little about bias as I do have my own opinions, but the basic rule is "when in doubt, ask", to which end I have probably driven the admin team to distraction by asking questions every five minutes

seeing the unmoderated forum for the first time was a huge shock, there have been times I have had to just walk away because of what people have reported and I've had to deal with before someone else, besides myself, gets upset about it, for example moderators have to check all the links in peoples posts and what's on the other end of the link can sometimes be quite horrific and plain out and out nasty

I'm no shrinking violet, I've seen and dealt with my share of nasty things in real life, but the raw forum can be a little overwhelming and I have to say it's changed my view of forums in general

and my skin has got considerably thicker since I started

so knowing what I know now, why do I continue ?

well, in among the bad stuff, you find the forum helps people, it's a useful resource for information, it's a shoulder to lean or cry on when you need it, it's a way for friends to keep in touch, in some cases it's even been a dating agency and if it weren't here then the community as a whole would suffer

I believe it's a good thing and if I can help keep it going by donating some of my time then I will, I will do my best to prevent the actions of a few spoiling things for the majority

now, I am only human, I make mistakes like anyone else, I'm still learning and I'll still be learning for the entire time I'm a moderator, I'm doing my best but I'm not perfect by a long shot

however once I've made a decision, then that's it, I'll stand by it and I'm not interested in debating it on an open forum or via PM, that's what the moderators are here for, to make decisions about whether a forum rule has been broken or not and what needs to be done about it, if anything

that's what I do as a moderator

so if you disagree with any decision I make, talk to the admin team via the helpdesk and if you can convince them I'm wrong, then amongst other things they'll have a word with me about it and hopefully I won't do it again, this has already happened and I'm doing my best to ensure it doesn't happen again, still learning, only human

but have a little patience the helpdesk gets a lot of calls

I also post as a user, though when I do I tend to have the same effect as GazE has and everyone disappears until I go away, when I post as a user I am there for discussion and any opinions I express are mine alone

I try to make it clear when I'm posting as a moderator and when I'm posting as a user, for example this post is my opinion and experience and mine alone, pull it to bits and discuss it as much as you like I don't mind

however if I do post as a moderator I'm not doing so for the purposes of discussion

this is just me, I can't speak for the rest of the mod team but I'd hazard a guess there's a certain commonality

hi, sorry I'm late to the discussion, I've been a little busy over christmas and new year and I only found out about this late yesterday and it's taken me a while to catch up

why do I do this ?

I have had a lot out of the forum in the years I've been a member it's only fair to give something back, I'll admit it was flattering to be asked and I was a bit curious to see how it all worked, I did worry a little about bias as I do have my own opinions, but the basic rule is "when in doubt, ask", to which end I have probably driven the admin team to distraction by asking questions every five minutes

seeing the unmoderated forum for the first time was a huge shock, there have been times I have had to just walk away because of what people have reported and I've had to deal with before someone else, besides myself, gets upset about it, for example moderators have to check all the links in peoples posts and what's on the other end of the link can sometimes be quite horrific and plain out and out nasty

I'm no shrinking violet, I've seen and dealt with my share of nasty things in real life, but the raw forum can be a little overwhelming and I have to say it's changed my view of forums in general

and my skin has got considerably thicker since I started

so knowing what I know now, why do I continue ?

well, in among the bad stuff, you find the forum helps people, it's a useful resource for information, it's a shoulder to lean or cry on when you need it, it's a way for friends to keep in touch, in some cases it's even been a dating agency and if it weren't here then the community as a whole would suffer

I believe it's a good thing and if I can help keep it going by donating some of my time then I will, I will do my best to prevent the actions of a few spoiling things for the majority

now, I am only human, I make mistakes like anyone else, I'm still learning and I'll still be learning for the entire time I'm a moderator, I'm doing my best but I'm not perfect by a long shot

however once I've made a decision, then that's it, I'll stand by it and I'm not interested in debating it on an open forum or via PM, that's what the moderators are here for, to make decisions about whether a forum rule has been broken or not and what needs to be done about it, if anything

that's what I do as a moderator

so if you disagree with any decision I make, talk to the admin team via the helpdesk and if you can convince them I'm wrong, then amongst other things they'll have a word with me about it and hopefully I won't do it again, this has already happened and I'm doing my best to ensure it doesn't happen again, still learning, only human

but have a little patience the helpdesk gets a lot of calls

I also post as a user, though when I do I tend to have the same effect as GazE has and everyone disappears until I go away, when I post as a user I am there for discussion and any opinions I express are mine alone

I try to make it clear when I'm posting as a moderator and when I'm posting as a user, for example this post is my opinion and experience and mine alone, pull it to bits and discuss it as much as you like I don't mind

however if I do post as a moderator I'm not doing so for the purposes of discussion

this is just me, I can't speak for the rest of the mod team but I'd hazard a guess there's a certain commonality

Above all else, I feel this thread has presented those of us(myself included)that have had greivances with moderater dicisions and actions that the admin team have taken, with a refreshing insight that has enabled me at least to better understand the reasons for certain decisions and appreciate the efforts of those that volunteer to give up their time and tend to the 'behind the scenes' duties which I personally wouldn't want to do, but thanks to them, keeps the forum up and running.

Above all else, I feel this thread has presented those of us(myself included)that have had greivances with moderater dicisions and actions that the admin team have taken, with a refreshing insight that has enabled me at least to better understand the reasons for certain decisions and appreciate the efforts of those that volunteer to give up their time and tend to the 'behind the scenes' duties which I personally wouldn't want to do, but thanks to them, keeps the forum up and running.

if it's only helped one person then I'd say this thread is serving it's purpose

and I hope my post helped a little ;)

if it's only helped one person then I'd say this thread is serving it's purpose

and I hope my post helped a little ;)

Can you help me by telling me if the word scrote has been banned, if not why do you remove it from peoples posts, surely adding it to the filter would be better.

it's derogatory, offensive and an insult and as such I remove it when I see it, I agree adding it to the filter would be a good idea, however I don't have access to the filter, try suggesting it to the helpdesk

it's derogatory, offensive and an insult and as such I remove it when I see it, I agree adding it to the filter would be a good idea, however I don't have access to the filter, try suggesting it to the helpdesk

Ok esme thats all I needed to know, I had an instance removed by yourself over Christmas and wondered why seeing as my post was made jokingly anyway and not to cause offence, thanks for clearing it up.

<deleted for parity>

Edited by sccsux

Guest sibon
Are mods who are actively participating in the discussion now allowed to moderate that thread?

Since most of the mod team have posted on the thread, I'd imagine that they will have to. Unless the thread is to be unmoderated, or closed.

Very little has been taken out of the thread though, maybe twenty posts. As far as I can see, they have all been removed for very clear reasons/breaches of forum rules.

If anything, this thread is being very lightly moderated. (Although I notice that you don't share this view:cool:).