Is SF more strict than it used to be?

So, posts removed without explanation, emails ignored, and questions asked on this thread get deleted with no explanation?

What are the mods so afraid of, can't they give a straightforward answer?

Well I was advised to PM an individual if I have a personal grievance with them. Lets not get the thread closed again.

What part of 'we're not going to discuss individual threads because that's what the Helpdesk is for' was not clear from the many times that it has been stated on the thread?

Will the helpdesk be explaining to Spindrift that the posts that he has objected to in the motorists thread were removed before the thread was deleted?

Then he could post accurate information:)

I didn't mean responding to mod notes I mean mods comments on threads in terms of general discussion although I was once banned for asking why my name and address had yet to be removed from the forum when some idiot decided to post it.

Then your posts must have been unpleasant in nature or abusive to another member of the Forum. They would have been removed if they were against a moderator or not in those circumstances.

When was that ban issued? I can't see any record of it on our systems so can't comment unfortunately. Like above though it may have been the way you submitted your query rather than the actual query itself.

I'm referring to coming online to find myself banned for some odd reason. I was once banned for supposedly having multiple accounts the first I knew of this was when I came online to find my access blocked.

The mods were very unwilling to accept I didn't have multiple accounts and it took quite a while to get myself unbanned.

I was one of the people to deal with that ticket and it was sorted in the end. From our point of view you and another user shared nearly all of your IP addresses but never posted at exactly the same time. There were occasions where the accounts were used minutes apart to respond to the same threads arguing different points. We also had several trusted members report and private message us to state that it was you using a duplicate account to wind people up. I think that's more than enough to take the possibility it was a duplicate seriously and investigate thoroughly.

Because the person still comes on the forum day in day out offending people left right and centre as well as ignoring the forum rules.

That doesn't mean action wasn't taken at the time. Have you reported them since if this abuse of the rules has continued?

My deleted post stated emails to the Helpdesk were ignored.

I have not seen the thread Spindrift and am in no way condoning whatever was said to you, but you really have to accept that you reap what you sow, you have many times tried to belittle other posters, calling them names etc.

What goes round comes round.

They haven't been ignored, they just haven't been answered yet. Our target response time is 48-72 hours, if you submitted the ticket yesterday we're in now way out of our target time.

This thread has taken up all of my spare time today so I haven't had a chance to do any Help Desk tickets at all.

I have not seen the thread Spindrift and am in no way condoning whatever was said to you, but you really have to accept that you reap what you sow, you have many times tried to belittle other posters, calling them names etc.

What goes round comes round.

There was abuse on that thread, none was posted by me, I'd never heard of those posters, let alone been rude to them.

Is it really acceptable to say it would be funny if another poster suffered a serious illness? That post wasn't deleted.

Do you fancy trying to find 20 mods and admins who are prepared to do the work every few months? Who gets to spend the 200 or so hours to train them all on a one to one basis?

Most moderators only feel that they have got a grasp on what is allowed and when after they've spent a minimum of 3 months reading and learning, so it would be a perpetual round of training and recruiting which just wouldn't be tenable from my point of view with only 24 hours in the day. If that was going to happen then there would need to be a huge increase in the amount of time put in at the top to ensure that the moderating team functioned which just isn't possible on a forum which has insufficient funds to pay any workers.

Believe me, I do understand the position of users. I'm a user on a number of other forums and I know just how users feel when there are things that they cannot control. What I do have, however, is an understanding of how much hard work needs to be put in by however many people to keep things running and from that an appreciation that it is impossible to please everybody and that the team are doing the best that they can.

OK, I can understand that moderators need experience before they fully grasp the job, so my suggestion of a limited tenure for each moderator is impractical.

As an alternative how about each moderator has a moderating holiday each year where they lose their moderatorship for say a month and have to use the forum as a normal user? It might restore some perspective as there is often a them and us divide apparent between moderators and normal users.

Just an idea which might help the forum run more smoothly.

Hopefully this thread has helped some of the more distanced moderators to understand the issues that normal users have with some of the moderating decisions. It's good to see that for the most part this thread has been good natured and continues to run :thumbsup:

So, the thread was removed last night and the stated response time for the Helpdesk is 48-72 hours.

Do you think it's possible that you're assuming it's ignored when it's actually in the queue to be answered?