Anyone remember old abbey taxis

will the real keith (bats for the other team) who was one of the original abbey drivers step forward and make himself known

You mean Keith williams who worked on and off for abbey taxies over the years

The last time I heard he had cancer that was a good few years ago now

Shefftax bought Abbey and moved it down to Bedford Street. I think they still use the name and phone number but its all black cabs no private hire cars.

Norman died earlier this year.

I still work with a couple of cab drivers who were on original Abbey like Alan Hogg and Bill Green. I still see Ken (62) and Jack Heath knockin about.

I worked at Abbey on Rutland Road for 16 years.

would that be Bill Green who used to live at Norton Country club years ago..Had a sister called Pat

The first cab I drove ran on gas and petrol, and I had to fill up at Rutland road every day. I think it was about 20p a litre.

Re Tomlinsons Taxis, I remember a driver called Terry, He lost a leg through an accident I think, there was Earnest Marshal and a young man who I think started driving hearses then went on to the taxis calle Phil Gibbs.

Didn't the Merc have a connection to one of the Beatles ?

Norman had a Merc 600 that used to belong to George Harrison and i think it was in a picture on an album cover.

A friend of mine,John Taylor had two cabs on Abbey.FWB 504C and 4452 W (what a sad old sod:hihi:) in the late 60s and I used to do a bit of part time on them.Still got the badge somewhere,who was the examiner in 1969/69?

A friend of mine,John Taylor had two cabs on Abbey.FWB 504C and 4452 W (what a sad old sod:hihi:) in the late 60s and I used to do a bit of part time on them.Still got the badge somewhere,who was the examiner in 1969/69?

I recall the name John Taylor, if you mean the "test examiner for your hackney badge" it was Inspector Nelson, you had to do the knowledge first at his office, through a small window,the office was at the old fire station West Bar. He once told me that if you got any off- the first 20 questions wrong then he made you come back another time,all the streets or roads were bus routes and you had to say where they started and finished. Those were the days! :hihi:

I think we are all a bit sad remembering the reg no's of the taxis.995 TBH and TEM 510M were two of mine, and this was over twenty years ago. also my badge no was 93, how sad is that.

I met up with an old taxi driver last night who told me he used to drive Big Bertha, his name is Mick Bond