Motorways, "middle lane hoggers" ?

Is it for "guidance" or "blind observance" ?

Blind observance obviously.

I beg to differ: I would wager good money that there was a Justin at 69 mph at the front of lane 2, and another Justin overtaking at 70 mph at the front of lane 3 ;)
All muttering to themselves about how all the other drivers are "maniacs".

All muttering to themselves about how all the other drivers are "maniacs".

Brilliant :)

Would motorway experience for the driving test be a good idea?

Or a couple of lessons after passing the test as nothing prepares a novice for the cut and thrust on the motorways.

Would motorway experience for the driving test be a good idea?

Or a couple of lessons after passing the test as nothing prepares a novice for the cut and thrust on the motorways.

It'd be a bit difficult for someone living in Boston/Spalding etc must be the best part of an hour's drive just to get to a motorway..

It'd be a bit difficult for someone living in Boston/Spalding etc must be the best part of an hour's drive just to get to a motorway..

I stand to be corrected but I don't even think you need a driving licence on some of the Scottish isles due to the almost impossibility of getting to a test centre and having anything other than single track roads to learn/drive on.

I stand to be corrected but I don't even think you need a driving licence on some of the Scottish isles due to the almost impossibility of getting to a test centre and having anything other than single track roads to learn/drive on.
I'm unsure about Scottish isles, but by way of anecdotal equivalence, I am certainly familiar with the Irish driving license 1979 "amnesty" (50,000 full licenses issued without any testing whatsoever, as a distant consequence of postal strikes) and the until-not-so-long-ago shambolic Irish provisional driving license system (with applicants driving themselves to the test, failing the test, then driving home; I s**t you not, our babysitter was doing exactly that in 2006-2007!)...and their consequences on roads.

So it would not surprise me.

Edited by L00b

Well Belgium didn't have any formal training until the late 1970's as I recall as well...

From what I understand, you can only drive licence free on the actual outer Hebrides, or the small isles etc. As soon as you want to drive to the mainland, it's time for a licence.

Well Belgium didn't have any formal training until the late 1970's as I recall as well...
Ah, I didn't know that...it would certainly go some way to explain the commonality of driving ineptitude which I have witnessed from both nationalities behind the wheel (relative to others such as Brits, Germans and French, and in very general terms), and which I always found odd considering the lack of geographical proximity/correlation :D

And some parts of Cornwall where it could be over a 200 mile round trip!

Ah, I didn't know that...it would certainly go some way to explain the commonality of driving ineptitude which I have witnessed from both nationalities behind the wheel (relative to others such as Brits, Germans and French, and in very general terms), and which I always found odd considering the lack of geographical proximity/correlation :D

You as well?

The belgian driving is utterly moronic. Whenever Mrs Jeremy and I drive on the continent we give them a wide berth. Tailgating. Middle/outside lane hogging. Random moves. Aggression. Stupid stupid lot behind a wheel.

---------- Post added 12-01-2016 at 18:15 ----------

Until recently, you couldnt even use cruise control in Belgium. I'm pretty sure they allow it now.

Don't forget insane speed as well.

I didn't realise a 1 litre Corsa could crack a ton until I saw it in Belgium.