Motorways, "middle lane hoggers" ?

No you don't. From the Highway Code:

Rule 268

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right.

Hence my reference to traffic moving in queues in my original post which covers what you said.

Hence my reference to traffic moving in queues in my original post which covers what you said.

I did admit to some minor trolling of the OP :)

I was responding to L00b saying that northbound after Junc 33 was particularly bad... It's most likely that those in the middle lane are there because they are going over the viaduct.

Drive left. But not in a lane that is marked for a different destination.

If they're going north of Jnc 34, then they are in the correct lane.

It's quite common behaviour for people who drive the route daily, happens all over.

People 'get in their lane' ages before they need to, just to make their life that bit easier.

Same happens near the M62 junction, people will start trying to carve across the motorway to get to the inside lane ages before the sign, obviously causing traffic to back up as they make their stupid move.

Straddle lanes 2&3 with your fog lights on whilst texting.

I tried that today. Aren't drivers friendly on the motorway?

I had loads of people waving and flashing their lights at me.

I do believe a few of them were trying to shout encouragement at me but could not be too sure as I couldn't hear over the honking of horns and my exhaust.

---------- Post added 11-01-2016 at 15:06 ----------

I remember a great sage once saying to me that if you look at all the people who hog the middle lane they are either Asian, female or old folk, normally wearing a hat.

I shall now retire to my underground bunker to await the carpet bombing.

See you on the other side.:)

I tried that today. Aren't drivers friendly on the motorway?

I had loads of people waving and flashing their lights at me.

I do believe a few of them were trying to shout encouragement at me but could not be too sure as I couldn't hear over the honking of horns and my exhaust.

---------- Post added 11-01-2016 at 15:06 ----------

I remember a great sage once saying to me that if you look at all the people who hog the middle lane they are either Asian, female or old folk, normally wearing a hat.

I shall now retire to my underground bunker to await the carpet bombing.

See you on the other side.:)

What you need to do now is go and stand on the hard shoulder and count the numbers of people who fit that category, while totally ignoring to count ones that don't, for at least 3.5 mins, you know to get a totally valid set of results. If your evidence shows at least 1 person who falls into that category then it must be true.

What you need to do now is go and stand on the hard shoulder and count the numbers of people who fit that category, while totally ignoring to count ones that don't, for at least 3.5 mins, you know to get a totally valid set of results. If your evidence shows at least 1 person who falls into that category then it must be true.
I'll provide independent validation of monkey's theory for the female case: the "front tool" I mentioned in my 12:06 post was such. In a black Yaris.

I have yet to observe behatted old biddies on the motorway with any frequency though (perhaps because they're generally retired and so generally not on a M'way at rush hour ;)). Behatted old biddies are usually in a red or blue 0,9L Atoz, Agila or Matiz (those still down wit' teh kids run an Aygo :D), pottering at 35-40 mph on a 50- or 60 -limit stretch, with a mile-long queue in tow.

Funnily enough, I'm rarely mad at them. It's the drivers who do not overtake them when free and clear to do so safely, and who do not leave a sufficient interval for others to do so at the time, that get my contempt.

Asians I find to generally fall in two categories: young hotheads with their name on a lamp post or a tree, and middle aged competent and considerate drivers.

Tongue is in cheek...ish :hihi:

Edited by L00b

Asians are much like Caucasians from what I've observed, in the "young hot head" or "older, better driver" groups. And for that matter, much like all other racial groups.

I'll provide independent validation of monkey's theory for the female case: the "front tool" I mentioned in my 12:06 post was such. In a black Yaris.

I have yet to observe behatted old biddies on the motorway with any frequency though (perhaps because they're generally retired and so generally not on a M'way at rush hour ;)). Behatted old biddies are usually in a red or blue 0,9L Atoz, Agila or Matiz (those still down wit' teh kids run an Aygo :D), pottering at 35-40 mph on a 50- or 60 -limit stretch, with a mile-long queue in tow.

Funnily enough, I'm rarely mad at them. It's the drivers who do not overtake them when free and clear to do so safely, and who do not leave a sufficient interval for others to do so at the time, that get my contempt.

Asians I find to generally fall in two categories: young hotheads with their name on a lamp post or a tree, and middle aged competent and considerate drivers.

From my own evidence, it's always Ford Focus owners, normally 2006 models that are the middle lane hoggers. ;)

It 's the drivers who close ranks when you are trying to overtake who make it very difficult, that really get my goat. I'm not not sure what goes through their minds.

People seem to dislike being overtaken, it's like it's a criticism of the choices they've made or something... So despite it being against the law, they try to stop you.

(Not all people, just some).

People seem to dislike being overtaken, it's like it's a criticism of the choices they've made or something... So despite it being against the law, they try to stop you.

(Not all people, just some).

It's many, many people. Perhaps it because they have a tiny little winkle that they have a problem.

From my own evidence, it's always Ford Focus owners, normally 2006 models that are the middle lane hoggers. ;)

That's a bit specific.

Although there is a known cluster of this phenomena near Stocksbridge.