Paying by card in a sandwich shop

As a customer yes I would like to see a sandwich shop able to accept card payments. However you have to ask yourself whether this is actually a viable option for your business, you are the only one who can answer this question.

I use my card in Tesco when I grab a sandwich for lunch every day. I dont like to carry cash round with me never have done, only the odd few pence for parking but thats it. Its a great idea.

But, some machines work faster than others so make sure you get a quick machine as at lunchtime people are in a rush to buy, eat and get back to work within 3 minutes it seems these days.

I think its a good idea. I rarely carry cash on me and try to pay for everything on a card because of points earned. The points earned in a year usually amounts to about £100. And no I do not pay interest.

It would be a good idea though to have a clearly displayed sign about the minimum transaction. £3 isn't bad.

Great idea... chip n pin really doesn't take any longer than cash if you get a decent one, minimum spend is perfectly reasonable. If it was me I would end up buying more cos I never have that much cash, so it would be sandwich, drink and cakey bun for afternoon tea...

Sounds like an impulse control problem.

That may be so which is why I don't carry cash!

Does anyone remember the sandwich shop on Howard Street opposite what was the Polytechnic? I was in there once when a bloke asked for a receipt, the proprietor nearly had a seizure! Dracula and crosses sprang to mind.

I dont carry much cash had to make sure I had cash on me when I visited the Hot Food Company ;)

if you had a card machine I might convince rye rye to bring us for lunch more ofted :D

Hiya,

I own a sandwich shop and i am thinking about getting a card machine put in for payments! It would have a minimum spend of £3 per transaction (due to amount we get charged by bank)

Do people think this is a good idea, is it the kind of facility people are needing?

Thanks for your input xxx

Five years ago, no.

Now - well, I think it would be a nice touch and utilized quite a lot more then you might imagine.

When I first started using sarnie shops, average spend would maybe be £1.80-2.50

Now, a decent sarnie, drink, bag of crisps will top £3 and I'd walk past one shop and go to another if I knew that they took cards.

How much does the bank charge?

Only asked because I've seen minimum spends in some places of £10.

I think it is around 3% dependant on which card.

I definitely think a card machine would be a good idea - I get so annoyed that even nowadays most sarnie places don't take cards - and the amount of times I have ended up going to M&S or tesco etc to grab a sandwich because I can pay on my card, when I would much rather my money went to local businesses. I have had to walk out of places on more than one occasion as i don't carry much change around with me and places don't take cards.

Shop around for your card processor supplier though as some charge more than others

With more card companies getting switched on to micro payments (eg via mobile or Barclays with their contactless card) the number of times you get held up by someone paying by card should start reducing. Of course that depends on shops using the right equipment and as I have no idea whether the banks push the tech or shops pay for it I don't know about viability for a sandwich shop.

Must admit I'd get frustrated with the delay now though but if I were buying several sarnies etc at a time (> £5) then I'd like to use my card, yes.

I prefer to pay on my card for everything as I rarely carry cash. Would be easier for me if my local sandwich took cards. I think the more options you have available for customers to pay the better.