Ultra loud motorbike commuting across Hillsborough at 5.45 in the morning.

Has anyone else had the misfortune to be woken up by a very loud motorbike commuting across Hillsborough in the early mornimg ?

He passes the Hillsborough football ground area at about 5.45AM and freqently wakes me up.

Not only is his wretched exhaust far far too loud but he rides it like he`s at the TT thrashing it like you`ve never known. I wonder how many hundreds, or even thosands, of people curse him every morning.......

Obviously the guy is a totally ignorant <removed>, but why is there no law to protect us from these imbeciles ? I checked with the garage that does my MOT and they said that other than for a blowing exhaust there`s no requirement in the MOT for a vehicle to be adequately silenced.

That sounds (pun intended) like a law that`s crying out to be passed.

There is a certain loudness an exhaust can be for an mot as our's failed on the exhaust been too loud twice. But if this happens i think most people put a standard one on for mot and then put their louder one back on..

I have every sympathy for people who have their lives affected by other peoples actions but im afraid the ops posts on here have now gone a step too far in my opinion.

Im from a biking family and have an aftermarket exhaust but certainly dont consider myself selfish or other bikers who wish to improve the look and sound of their bikes although Im not under any elusion that some exhausts are a cause for concern.

Why havent you if you are so enraged by this bike reported it to the police or other authoritys instead of coming on here ranting but seemingly doing nothing about it.

The comments "anyone got any nails to leave on the road " and "here's hoping" that speeding will kill them first and here's hoping he will have an accident is well out of order. I agree that everyone is entitled to as much peace as the city will allow but im sorry you have gone way too far in your comments and im very suprised the moderators on here have allowed this thread to stay open after comments like this even with your "only joking" remarks after it.

You have no sense of humour then......

That said, when I`m woken up by some ignorant and still half asleep, nasty thoughts, which I wouldn`t normally have, do cross my mind.

If you`re a biker you`ll know that the fact of the matter is the biggest effect on a biker`s safety is riding slower and more carefully. If they haven`t got the self control to do that then there is a good chance they`ll end up playing wheelchair basketball, or dead. Personally speaking when I had bikes, and was single, it was the thought of being crippled for life that made me sell my bike, not the worry of getting killed, but each to his own.

No biker, or motorist, has any excuse to inflict unnecessary

noise on other people. If they want more power they should buy a bigger bike or car, not that they`d get that much more power out of loud exhaust anyway.

Not buy a whole new vehicle, no, but isn't there some modification they could use to make it a bit quieter? It's very unpleasant, especially at silly hours.
Can see EXACTLY what you're saying, but if I've spent X amount of K on a bike or car, that can do cracking speeds etc... one of the sensations is in the sound. I'm talking about performance bikes/cars here. If it's some pat who's put a huuuge exhaust on his bike just so it's loud...well there's no point is there. If they insist on having these massive exhausts, ten when they're driving to work or...whatever in the morning, they at least should have the courtesy to not drive them... enthusiastically shall we say? 'cos at low revs, they're still loud, but a lot quieter, and you wont be able to hear them.

Modern larger motorcycles usually come with extremely quiet and heavy exhaust systems as standard. Unfortunately from an experienced rider's point of view it feels very dangerous like that because you are always surprising cyclists, pedestrians and car drivers as they don't hear you. The whole point of defensive riding strategy is that you make yourself visible and possibly heard by other road users for the sake of everyone's safety.

So there is a market for aftermarket exhaust systems but they are perfectly legal, with BS stamps. What often happens though is you can often unscrew the rear baffle to make the exhaust can extremely loud, apparently for racing. When you hear a stupidly loud bike the owner has probably taken out or lost the baffle or has put on an illegal "racing" can.

. And even if loud exhausts do reduce accidents it`s not a price worth paying

Absolute class. :rolleyes:

Reckon saddoes do it, because being loud and brash makes them feel like they're somebody. :roll:

And even if loud exhausts do reduce accidents it`s not a price worth paying

Absolute class. :rolleyes:

Just for the sake of the argument, let`s ignore all the annoyance and upset and stress which loud motorbikes (and loud cars to be fair) cause to millions of people, and just concentrate on the sleep disturbance. Don`t forget that the latter also includes shift workers sleeping in the day. People who suffer poor sleep are significantly more likely to have accidents, both round the home but also at work and when they`re driving. So, if, just for the sake of the argument, deafeningly loud exhaust pipes saved 5 lives a year (which I seriously doubt anyway.....) I`m pretty confident that significantly more deaths would be caused by said sleep disturbances leading to accidents. I hope I have clarified original point.

Loud pipes save lives.....

No they don`t, most drivers have their windows wound up and their radios on, particularly when the alternative is to listen to horrible loud exhausts.....

What saves lives is riding slower, have you got the self control to do that ?

I must say when I had bikes 20 years ago I didn`t, that`s why I sold mine.

You see I`m happy with the standard number and layout of my limbs,

i.e. with no motorbike accident induced shortages......

Furthermore, in my experience, the motorcyclists with the loudest exhausts are almost always the ones riding in the least safe manner. So, it could be argued, loud exhausts actually cause the deaths of more motorcyclists.

Edited by Justin Smith

You have no sense of humour then......

That said, when I`m woken up by some ignorant and still half asleep, nasty thoughts, which I wouldn`t normally have, do cross my mind.

If you`re a biker you`ll know that the fact of the matter is the biggest effect on a biker`s safety is riding slower and more carefully. If they haven`t got the self control to do that then there is a good chance they`ll end up playing wheelchair basketball, or dead. Personally speaking when I had bikes, and was single, it was the thought of being crippled for life that made me sell my bike, not the worry of getting killed, but each to his own.

No biker, or motorist, has any excuse to inflict unnecessary

noise on other people. If they want more power they should buy a bigger bike or car, not that they`d get that much more power out of loud exhaust anyway.

not a question of sense of humour its morons like u with comments of put nails in road or hope he has an accident and ends up playing wheel chair basketball u are probably the car driver that swerves for bikes when filtering through traffic pathetic and please dont assume that all bikers are male

not a question of sense of humour its morons like u with comments of put nails in road or hope he has an accident and ends up playing wheel chair basketball u are probably the car driver that swerves for bikes when filtering through traffic pathetic and please dont assume that all bikers are male

I think you should read people`s posts more carefully before making comments about them.

Incidentally, filtering through traffic, unless it`s stationary, is a very risky thing to do.

I never did it when I used to have bikes.

You`re right about assuming all bikers are men, but I reckon female bikers are probably more responsible, less aggressive and generally less likely to do things to upset other people. Therefore the ignorant with the ultra loud exhaust, who, remember, upsets people in Stocksbridge, Wharncliffe Side, Oughtbridge and Hillsborough, is probably a man.......

Have you got a sense of humour ? I can be quite funny, honestly, but not if taken too seriously.

Edited by Justin Smith

No bike near us but a very enthusiastic cockerel. **** a doodle dooing as soon as it gets light and continuing all day. We love it - makes us feel like we are in the middle of the country! Have you tried ear plugs? - they do work.

This sounds very much like the biker that I'm woken by on weekday mornings.

I hear him slow for the speed camera at Wharncliffe Side then he winds it up for the straight bit of Main Road towards the paper mill. I managed to catch site of him once on a very loud blue bike.