Ultra loud motorbike commuting across Hillsborough at 5.45 in the morning.

justin smith - Incidentally, filtering through traffic, unless it`s stationary, is a very risky thing to do.

I never did it when I used to have bikes.

I have to say that you dont know what your talking about.

I wont tell you why, because you will not understand.

I dont mean to be rude. I guess your not breaking any rules on here.

Yep, I've heard it as well and although the exhaust is stupidly loud, its the speed the bike is travelling at that worries me, not just for the riders safety but everyone else's too.

Modern larger motorcycles usually come with extremely quiet and heavy exhaust systems as standard. Unfortunately from an experienced rider's point of view it feels very dangerous like that because you are always surprising cyclists, pedestrians and car drivers as they don't hear you. The whole point of defensive riding strategy is that you make yourself visible and possibly heard by other road users for the sake of everyone's safety.

So there is a market for aftermarket exhaust systems but they are perfectly legal, with BS stamps. What often happens though is you can often unscrew the rear baffle to make the exhaust can extremely loud, apparently for racing. When you hear a stupidly loud bike the owner has probably taken out or lost the baffle or has put on an illegal "racing" can.

I'm familiar with the 'loud pipes' argument but I don't agree with it. IMO, if you want to make other road users more aware of motorcycles, then the first thing you do is scrap the 'SMIDSY' defence. Some police forces have a check box on their accident reporting forms for: "Looked, but didn't see". If the person really did look but didn't see, then (s)he has defective eyesight and should be banned from driving (at least until the defect is obviated) in the interests of safety. If (s)he didn't look properly, then (s) he failed 'to show a reasonable standard of care and attention to the road they are using and to other drivers using that road.'

6 points, a hefty fine (and probably a marked increase in insurance premiums) may help such drivers to concentrate.

Follow that immediately with a rule which says: "If there is an accident between 2 wheels and 4 (or more) wheels, then - exempt evidence to the contrary - 4 wheels will be considered to be at fault.

If you do that, then all of a sudden motorcycles will become visible!

The Highway Code tells people to use their mirrors frequently. - That doesn't mean once a day, nor is it an exhortation to drivers to check their make-up/ use the mirror to shave on the way to work. - Unfortunately in the UK, many drivers seem rarely to use their mirrors.

My bikes are large touring bikes and they are very quiet. I don't want loud pipes, thanks and I'm not convinced they make a significant difference.

just call it through on 101 (is it) keep doing that each morning and maybe the boys in blue will be there one morning to do a spot check and check his cans.

I had a guy like this where I lived except he deliberately blipped it as he went past the car to set the alarm off. If the car wasnt there he didnt do it.

He didnt find it funny when I came home from work late one morning and met him on the road as he was leaving for work....reminded him that he doesnt have a metal box around him! :hihi:

not a question of sense of humour its morons like u with comments of put nails in road or hope he has an accident and ends up playing wheel chair basketball u are probably the car driver that swerves for bikes when filtering through traffic pathetic and please dont assume that all bikers are male

Well I for one wouldn't be concerned about this irritant's welfare. So there! ;)

Kj

Edited by krooner

Well I for one wouldn't be concerned about this irritant's welfare. So there! ;)

Kj

So in your opinion its fine to kill someone just cos they annoy u??

It's reasonable to think that very few people would mourn the passing of anyone who died by their own hand as the result of a desire to make as many lives as possible less happy than they should, or could be.

It's reasonable to think that very few people would mourn the passing of anyone who died by their own hand as the result of a desire to make as many lives as possible less happy than they should, or could be.

would not be by there own hand, OP talking of putting nails in road thus causing accident with possible outcome of death, and this could be anyone who happened to travel this route, so its fine if its a member of your family that gets caught up in this and dies for a 10 second noise disruption to someones sleep?? we all have to put up with morons around us but we cant take the law into our own hands and harm people as the compulsion takes us

is the point i am making

I can be quite funny[/url], honestly, but not if taken too seriously.

Really????

You just seem like a whinger to be honest.

justin smith - Incidentally, filtering through traffic, unless it`s stationary, is a very risky thing to do.

I never did it when I used to have bikes.

I have to say that you dont know what your talking about.

I wont tell you why, because you will not understand.

I dont mean to be rude. I guess your not breaking any rules on here.

I do know what I`m talking about, I had bikes for years.

But the fact is it`s obvious anyway. If all the cars are actually moving then it`s far easier to change lanes in front of a biker as he unexpectedly comes from no where.

I think you`re taking this a bit too seriously, but the guy on the luod bike is still an ignorant (insert acceptable word to give emphasis)......

Really????

You just seem like a whinger to be honest.

No, honestly, I am funny, there can be little doubt about that (in an Alan Partridge accent). You`ve got no sense of humour, or a bike/car with a loud exhaust, or you`re hearing is not what it was, or you live in the middle of nowhere.....

Besides, there`s nothing wrong with complaining, I actually want my customers to tell me when something`s wrong.

But the best example of an incident that needed complaining about is here.