Ultra loud motorbike commuting across Hillsborough at 5.45 in the morning.

I'm familiar with the 'loud pipes' argument but I don't agree with it. IMO, if you want to make other road users more aware of motorcycles, then the first thing you do is scrap the 'SMIDSY' defence. Some police forces have a check box on their accident reporting forms for: "Looked, but didn't see". If the person really did look but didn't see, then (s)he has defective eyesight and should be banned from driving (at least until the defect is obviated) in the interests of safety. If (s)he didn't look properly, then (s) he failed 'to show a reasonable standard of care and attention to the road they are using and to other drivers using that road.'

6 points, a hefty fine (and probably a marked increase in insurance premiums) may help such drivers to concentrate.

Follow that immediately with a rule which says: "If there is an accident between 2 wheels and 4 (or more) wheels, then - exempt evidence to the contrary - 4 wheels will be considered to be at fault.

If you do that, then all of a sudden motorcycles will become visible!

The Highway Code tells people to use their mirrors frequently. - That doesn't mean once a day, nor is it an exhortation to drivers to check their make-up/ use the mirror to shave on the way to work. - Unfortunately in the UK, many drivers seem rarely to use their mirrors.

My bikes are large touring bikes and they are very quiet. I don't want loud pipes, thanks and I'm not convinced they make a significant difference.

I accept what you say, but some bikers are just pleading to get injured.

On the way into work this morning a biker was filtering through moving traffic (bad), dressed in nothing but a T shirt and shorts (very bad), no jacket, no trousers, no boots past his ankles, and, worst of all, no gloves !

He`d only have to drop that bike at walking pace and the skin on his hands would be shredded (nobody should ever ride a bike without gloves on).

Idiot.

Is that swearing by the way ? ! ?

Edited by Justin Smith

Maybe he has read this thread, he still woke me up today but he was riding much slower than normal! At least he is being partly more responsible. :)

He went past here about 5 minutes ago......beautiful sound. I love it.

I was already awake...but he can wake me up every day with a noise like that :love:

*longs for my rallying days which are now long gone....with our bikes next to our tents....and the early morning chorus of krobbing bikes....oh how I miss it*

well, all of this makes me feel less bad about the occasional morning when my chickens kick up a 10 minute fuss at dawn.

at least that's natural! perhaps the bikers could move in near me - they certainly couldn't complain!

free country spings to mind. most of you probably wind noisey bikers up by sitting in the out side lane at 30 in a 40 zone,holding them up.

free country spings to mind. most of you probably wind noisey bikers up by sitting in the out side lane at 30 in a 40 zone,holding them up.

A free country does not mean you`re free to do anything you want regardless of the effect on others.

Does anyone actually think it does ?

The "free country" argument is fatuous.

The indisputable fact of the matter is that a rider, or motorist, with an over loud exhaust is ignorant, in either, or both, senses of the word.

They are either ignorant because they don`t know that most other people don`t like their painfully loud exhausts.

OR

They`re ignorant because they do know that most other people don`t like their over loud exhausts, but they don`t care what negative effect they have on other people.

On the subject of "sitting in the outside lane, if the offender isn`t even doing the speed limit and there`s room on the inside lane then he, or she, shouldn`t be there.

On the other hand if the person in the outside lane is doing the speed limit I don`t understand why people go off on one about it.

Why ?

Because nobody should be going past him, or her, anyway !

Edited by Justin Smith

He went past here about 5 minutes ago......beautiful sound. I love it.

I was already awake...but he can wake me up every day with a noise like that :love:

Just because you like it doesn`t mean that everyone else does.

Most people want as much peace and quiet as living in a city allows.

As a general rule, bikers are no more ignorant or annoying than car drivers, its just that people notice them more.

As for filtering between traffic? don't make me laugh, you're all just jealous! if you didn't have to sit in traffic then you wouldn't either. as long as its done at a safe speed its not dangerous or illegal. Enjoy your traffic jams :)

it was riding about to night on holgate road parson cross..about 6 oclock this evening.we wonderd what it was..

Just because you like it doesn`t mean that everyone else does.

Most people want as much peace and quiet as living in a city allows.

I don't recall saying that every one else had to like it...I was just saying that I did. :roll:

He also works Saturdays....he has just gone past.....morning biker friend :wave:

Has anyone else had the misfortune to be woken up by a very loud motorbike commuting across Hillsborough in the early mornimg ?

He passes the Hillsborough football ground area at about 5.45AM and freqently wakes me up.

Not only is his wretched exhaust far far too loud but he rides it like he`s at the TT thrashing it like you`ve never known. I wonder how many hundreds, or even thosands, of people curse him every morning.......

Obviously the guy is a totally ignorant <removed>, but why is there no law to protect us from these imbeciles ? I checked with the garage that does my MOT and they said that other than for a blowing exhaust there`s no requirement in the MOT for a vehicle to be adequately silenced.

That sounds (pun intended) like a law that`s crying out to be passed.

Not Hillsbrough , but I HAD one that woke me up at 620 every morning-- for about a year, I was fortunate enough to find where he lived (after reviewing cctv to see if I could recognize him) -- I approached him -- he apologized and as yet hasn't thrashed it past my house, I do hear it still but its not a total shock to the system