Ultra loud motorbike commuting across Hillsborough at 5.45 in the morning.

;6832372']The advanced motorcycling courses run by the police even teach you filter safely and correctly.

As for the rest of this thread there's quite a worrying amount of ignorance shown towards those who choose 2 wheeled transport. Firstly i would like to say that loud exhausts actually save lives. Who gives a toss whether others are slightly annoyed by them if they actually inform other road users of the presence of the most vulnerable person on that road.

Motorcycles and other small two wheeled transport forms are very easy to steal compared to cars. If the guy has no access to a garage then he's just being sensible...

Exactly. I was once nearly T boned at a junction because a car driver stopped at the give-way to join the road I was on, looked in my direction but right through me looked the opposite way then pulled out. Luckily she saw me at the last moment and braked and I missed her by a 1ft by counter-steering out of her way. That think bike advert where you're warned to 'look, look then look again' exists because many car drivers don't concentrate on what they're doing and only ever take mental note of vehicle sizes from cars upwards.

I've also had the misfortune to almost collide with a cyclist whilst I was travelling in a bus lane. He was ahead of me and i slowed down as i approached him from the rear. Without doing a life saver check he simply cut across me to merge with the right lanes traffic missing me by inches. I'm pretty sure he crapped himself as I pulled along side him giving him an evil look of disapproval.

I'm almost positive that both these incidents would not have happened had I been using a loud exhaust can as both of them would have had extra warning of my presence. I now have a loud after market exhaust fitted and as such I've never even come close to having another similar indecent as you can pretty much see other car drivers make more eye contact than before and also turn their heads to find out where you're coming from.

I don't know about you but I'd rather be safe than give a crap about someone with a whiny 'They annoy me and I don't care about someone else's life' type of attitude....

See above... :rolleyes:

I ride slow but still get ignored by drivers who are too busy changing radio stations or putting on make up to care about where they're going on the road. Hence the reason my exhaust is load enough to get their attention. Its a safety precaution.

No it isnt. It shows us that you lack care for others well being and that you come across as someone who i would not wish to know.

I would class that attitude as ignorant considering that most bikers who go for loud exhausts do so primarily for safety reasons. Why should you have to give a damn about being a bit loud and maybe slightly annoying someone if it ensures your own safety and well being???

If you`re syaing that motorcycles are so dangerous that they can only be made reasonably safe by having painfully loud exausts, you`ve just made your own argument for banning them.

This idea that loud exhausts make the roads safer is comletely ridiculous if you think about it. It`s just a pathetic attempt to make excuses for being thoughtless and ignorant. The obvious answer being ? If loud exausts really did make the riders/drivers safer, and everyone started doing it, then it`d be a complete waste of time, because you wouldn`t hear any one of them due to the bleedin` racket caused by all the others. Furthermore every car driver would just make sure their windows were closed and their stereo turned up to drown out the din.

And, of course, nobody would get any sleep.

And don`t tell me I don`t know about bikes, I had bikes for years, so get your facts right.

There has been one going up and down Herries Rd this morning.

Actually, anyone on here who thinks their loud exhaust makes them significantly safer on the roads is well advised to keep it to themselves.

Why ?

Well there are, apparently, quite a few people on here who are so anxious about flying, that they`re happy to humiliate themslves through the naked scanners at the airports in order to reduce their already minute risk of being blown up. If those same people read that making their vehicle louder will reduce their risk on the (far more dangerous) roads, then, assuming they`re being consistent, they`ll be queueing round the block outside all the garages that are prepared to fit these painfully loud exhausts.

Once half the population has a loud exhaust then they`ll definitely have no effect (not that they do anyway).

If you`re not bothered about the effect your loud exhaust has on other people, then, by definition, you`re just ignorant, plain and simple.

PLAIN AND SIMPLE I AM BUT NOT IGNORANT:loopy:

Well, if it sounded like ' two bees on speed in a can' the bike would probably be an Aprilia RS50 - but does a wasp in a milk bottle make a lot of noise?:huh:

I hope you're praying for his continued health in between your fantasies.:hihi: - After all, if he (or any other Sheffield motorcyclist in the area) should have an 'unexplained' accident, the Police wouldn't have too far to go to find a suspect, would they?

Hmm, good point. I've made it easy for his many noise pollution victims to off him and fit me up with a decapitation beef. I'll have to run in front of him from now on checking between all the trees and lamp posts.

I should've said amplified wasp in a milk bottle, that's what it sounds like.

If you`re syaing that motorcycles are so dangerous that they can only be made reasonably safe by having painfully loud exausts, you`ve just made your own argument for banning them.

This idea that loud exhausts make the roads safer is comletely ridiculous if you think about it. It`s just a pathetic attempt to make excuses for being thoughtless and ignorant. The obvious answer being ? If loud exausts really did make the riders/drivers safer, and everyone started doing it, then it`d be a complete waste of time, because you wouldn`t hear any one of them due to the bleedin` racket caused by all the others. Furthermore every car driver would just make sure their windows were closed and their stereo turned up to drown out the din.

And, of course, nobody would get any sleep.

And don`t tell me I don`t know about bikes, I had bikes for years, so get your facts right.

Its not so much that motorcycles that are dangerous but instead other road users who do not notice them. The most common cause for motorcycle accidents these days is car drivers like the one I mentioned pulling straight out into the path of the motorcycle. Hence the need to make other drivers notice you...

Also, I've lost all respect I had for you now that you've revealed yourself to be a part of the 'ban everything' crowd that's done so much harm to this nation. You need to consider the fact that motorcycles alleviate traffic congestion and also put out less CO2 per person mile than cars.

;6834514']You need to consider the fact that motorcycles alleviate traffic congestion and also put out less CO2 per person mile than cars.

....... and contribute very generously to the organ transplant donations.

;6834514']Its not so much that motorcycles that are dangerous but instead other road users who do not notice them. The most common cause for motorcycle accidents these days is car drivers like the one I mentioned pulling straight out into the path of the motorcycle. Hence the need to make other drivers notice you...

Also, I've lost all respect I had for you now that you've revealed yourself to be a part of the 'ban everything' crowd that's done so much harm to this nation. You need to consider the fact that motorcycles alleviate traffic congestion and also put out less CO2 per person mile than cars.

As is common on forums there`s been a breakdown on communication here.

I don`t want to ban bikes at all. I used to love my bikes, and I agree they`re more environmentally friendly than cars, and they also take up less room on our overcrowded roads. It`s not bikes I hate, it`s loud exhausts, many of which happen to be on motorbikes.

When you get ignorants on here saying they don`t care how loud their bike is that just makes me hate loud motorbikes/bikers even more.

When I had a bike, and since with other bikes, the thing that caused danger or accidents was generally the bike being driven too fast, or in a risky manner. When I look back on it, I was a bit guilty of riding my bikes like that, though not as bad as some I see today. We were on the M1 the other day, we were in the outside lane but a gap appeared in the middle lane, I put the indicator on and was about to start pulling over when this Harley overtook me on the inside. That`s what I`m talking about, I`m surprised he`s still alive.

Well it's a difficult one to deal with, it's a bit like passing a law to ban people letting their irritating ring tones ring way too long (simply to have you hear it), ear muff?

Well, he`s still doing it. Whenever I`m dozing in bed at just before six in the morning I still hear that loud bike shattering the peace. He really does think about other people`s peace and quiet doesn`t he, not. To be fair I don`t think he thrashes it like he used to do, but even so, turn it down old son, nobody appreciates it.

Actually, I was walking home tonight and this bike went past which was absolutely ear shatteringly loud. It really does show how people can be soooo different. It amazes me that these selfish *s manage to make such a racket and not feel guilty about it.

Incidentally, I was talking to the duty editor at the Daily Telegraph the other day, they might be interested in doing a story about how the police hardly ever prosecute these ignorants. We`ll see what happens.

* What suitably emotive word can I use here.........

Edited by Justin Smith

Oh yes, he is back!! He's been waking me each morning in Oughtibridge!

I would take issue with the use of the description 'Ultra loud' in the thread title.

If the person is commuting on this bike then it is safe to assume they are using it to get to and from work. In which case it will probably be taxed and insured. To get a tax disc you need a valid MOT certificate which means that the bike may be 'ultra loud to you but obviously not to the examiner doing the MOT test.

At any other time of day you probably wouldn't notice it over the din of everyday traffic noise.

John X