Car parking at the Northern General Hospital

Maybe a park and ride somewhere may take some of the pressure off the parking problem

Decisions or developments made by Northen Gen as a Trust means its governed by patients, staff and the general public - not just the men in suits

Anybody can apply to become a member of the Trust and as such you would be able to help plan the future of the hospital.

Very few staff working in non-clinical roles earn top dollar, and those that do, have the difficult task of finding ways to maintain services despite increasing cuts from government funding - or would you prefer the medics to shut up shop and do the accounts and service reconfiguration instead of looking after patients? :loopy:

Back to the parking - yeah it is a nightmare.

I suppose the only answer is a multi-storey but even then - the hospital spans such a large area nowadays that I feel sorry for the eldery and patients with disabling injuries/ailments which end up having a to walk significant distances to get to a required service/dept (which they cant park anywhere near) - a multi-storey doesn't address this issue of access

Not sure what revenue the current car parks tolls bring in but lifting the cost of parking would certainly reduce staff parking in residential areas.

Edited by craigs

The 'men in suits' who make all the decisions won't have staff car parking as a priority because they will all have fobs for the 'essential car users' car park in front of the clocktower. Those who use this car park are so 'essential' that the car park is virtually empty after 5pm, all weekend and every Bank Holiday.:rant:

'essential car user' refers to staff required to travel between multiple sites of 'company ' business , unfortunately in an organisation such as the NHS this tends to be higher management as it 's them who have cross site responsibility, the greatest problem with car parking in the NHS is with 9-5 staff who work at a single site but feel they have to park on site , causing problems for shift workers and patients ....

[quote=craigs;6346974

I suppose the only answer is a multi-storey but even then - the hospital spans such a large area nowadays that I feel sorry for the eldery and patients with disabling injuries/ailments which end up having a to walk significant distances to get to a required service/dept (which they cant park anywhere near) - a multi-storey doesn't address this issue of access /QUOTE]

there is a free hospital shuttle bus that travels round the hospital all day long picking up and dropping off at various points on site so that people dont have to walk long distances is they cant

'essential car user' refers to staff required to travel between multiple sites of 'company ' business , unfortunately in an organisation such as the NHS this tends to be higher management as it 's them who have cross site responsibility, the greatest problem with car parking in the NHS is with 9-5 staff who work at a single site but feel they have to park on site , causing problems for shift workers and patients ....

But surely that is what the shuttle bus is for - to transport staff from site to site:confused: Maybe the likes of Sir Andrew Cash feel that traveling on a bus with the great unwashed is beneath them. He's certainly conspicuous by his absence - I have worked at the NGH for many years and have only had the honour of seeing him twice!

I agree that the parking problem is caused by those working office hours who are best placed to use public transport but possibly feel that it is beneath them too.:rant::roll:

Edited by Daven

its so wrong i dont no what to do anymore

Not sure what revenue the current car parks tolls bring in but lifting the cost of parking would certainly reduce staff parking in residential areas.

Reducing the cost or eliminating parking fee's would not reduce staff parking in residential areas. There are many staff who would pay for parking but the hospital have refused them a parking permit, therefore they park on the nearby streets to much annoyance of local residents.

But surely that is what the shuttle bus is for - to transport staff from site to site:confused: Maybe the likes of Sir Andrew Cash feel that traveling on a bus with the great unwashed is beneath them. He's certainly conspicuous by his absence - I have worked at the NGH for many years and have only had the honour of seeing him twice!

I agree that the parking problem is caused by those working office hours who are best placed to use public transport but possibly feel that it is beneath them too.:rant::roll:

last time i looked the shuttle bus was like the shuttle buses operated by man y trusts exactly that ...

doesn't serve sites managed by other organisations ....

It's not about being beneath people it's the sheer cost of public transport that is now extortionate, unless your lucky enough to live en-route on the H1 shuttle bus service.

For example the cost of a hospital discounted monthly First Sheffield bus ticket is around £60 where as staff monthly parking at NGH is around £19, even less if you pay for parking through the i-choose scheme.

Monthly Parking on street around is NGH £0.

Therefore if you're already running a car why should you be brow beaten into paying an extra £41 per month and inconvenienced for the sake of using using public transport.

My point is more to do with the staff parking spaces being taken up by staff who work office hours and have the option of using public transport - whether it's more expensive or less convenient for them is not of any concern to me. My concern is for shift workers who are unable to park their car in a staff car park, despite paying for a monthly permit, and end up parking in a far flung car park or on the street and then have to return to their vehicle in the dark and often alone and are at risk of attack, rape or worse. All staff car parks are virtually deserted at that time - not a pleasant experience but one that I have to go through several times a week. A system should be in place that ensures that shift workers who work unsocial hours are ensured a parking space in a safe place - allowing those who work office hours and arrive and leave work at busy times and in daylight hours to park further away from their area of work.

A common sense suggestion which I have made times many to management of the Trust but which always falls on deaf ears. Staff safety is, and never has been, a priority for the Trust. Maybe it will take a tragedy to occur before they sit up and take some notice.:rant:

Edited by Daven

Your right staff safety has never been a priority, staff never seem to get any proper consideration. Perhaps we should be asking what happens to the money being paid for the monthly permits and parking fees? Could this money not have been used to provide safe and adequate parking for all.