Car parking at the Northern General Hospital

I live in Chesterfield and our Hospital is just as bad, it seems that it is built in to hospitals

I had to travel to there daily when my child was born, yes its terrible, parking spaces are big enough for cars, but people seem to not see they have left half the car hanging out of the white lines and so it take's up two spaces!

I think hospitals like most housing estates were built when people could ill afford one car, now people seem to have two or three per houshold!

The 'men in suits' who make all the decisions won't have staff car parking as a priority because they will all have fobs for the 'essential car users' car park in front of the clocktower. Those who use this car park are so 'essential' that the car park is virtually empty after 5pm, all weekend and every Bank Holiday.:rant:

Decisions or developments made by Northen Gen as a Trust means its governed by patients, staff and the general public - not just the men in suits

Anybody can apply to become a member of the Trust and as such you would be able to help plan the future of the hospital.

Very few staff working in non-clinical roles earn top dollar, and those that do, have the difficult task of finding ways to maintain services despite increasing cuts from government funding - or would you prefer the medics to shut up shop and do the accounts and service reconfiguration instead of looking after patients? :loopy:

Back to the parking - yeah it is a nightmare.

I suppose the only answer is a multi-storey but even then - the hospital spans such a large area nowadays that I feel sorry for the eldery and patients with disabling injuries/ailments which end up having a to walk significant distances to get to a required service/dept (which they cant park anywhere near) - a multi-storey doesn't address this issue of access

Not sure what revenue the current car parks tolls bring in but lifting the cost of parking would certainly reduce staff parking in residential areas.

Edited by craigs

The 'men in suits' who make all the decisions won't have staff car parking as a priority because they will all have fobs for the 'essential car users' car park in front of the clocktower. Those who use this car park are so 'essential' that the car park is virtually empty after 5pm, all weekend and every Bank Holiday.:rant:

'essential car user' refers to staff required to travel between multiple sites of 'company ' business , unfortunately in an organisation such as the NHS this tends to be higher management as it 's them who have cross site responsibility, the greatest problem with car parking in the NHS is with 9-5 staff who work at a single site but feel they have to park on site , causing problems for shift workers and patients ....

[quote=craigs;6346974

I suppose the only answer is a multi-storey but even then - the hospital spans such a large area nowadays that I feel sorry for the eldery and patients with disabling injuries/ailments which end up having a to walk significant distances to get to a required service/dept (which they cant park anywhere near) - a multi-storey doesn't address this issue of access /QUOTE]

there is a free hospital shuttle bus that travels round the hospital all day long picking up and dropping off at various points on site so that people dont have to walk long distances is they cant

'essential car user' refers to staff required to travel between multiple sites of 'company ' business , unfortunately in an organisation such as the NHS this tends to be higher management as it 's them who have cross site responsibility, the greatest problem with car parking in the NHS is with 9-5 staff who work at a single site but feel they have to park on site , causing problems for shift workers and patients ....

But surely that is what the shuttle bus is for - to transport staff from site to site:confused: Maybe the likes of Sir Andrew Cash feel that traveling on a bus with the great unwashed is beneath them. He's certainly conspicuous by his absence - I have worked at the NGH for many years and have only had the honour of seeing him twice!

I agree that the parking problem is caused by those working office hours who are best placed to use public transport but possibly feel that it is beneath them too.:rant::roll:

Edited by Daven

Not sure what revenue the current car parks tolls bring in but lifting the cost of parking would certainly reduce staff parking in residential areas.

Reducing the cost or eliminating parking fee's would not reduce staff parking in residential areas. There are many staff who would pay for parking but the hospital have refused them a parking permit, therefore they park on the nearby streets to much annoyance of local residents.

But surely that is what the shuttle bus is for - to transport staff from site to site:confused: Maybe the likes of Sir Andrew Cash feel that traveling on a bus with the great unwashed is beneath them. He's certainly conspicuous by his absence - I have worked at the NGH for many years and have only had the honour of seeing him twice!

I agree that the parking problem is caused by those working office hours who are best placed to use public transport but possibly feel that it is beneath them too.:rant::roll:

last time i looked the shuttle bus was like the shuttle buses operated by man y trusts exactly that ...

doesn't serve sites managed by other organisations ....