Car parking at the Northern General Hospital

I know there have been previous threads but this one concerns the proposals for the new car park to be put on hold!!!

Star Article linky

I am totally amazed that this problem - and a possible solution to it - has been put on hold with those in power saying the money will go to direct patient care...that is commendable...but perhaps the savings could be better made by getting rid of administrators who are just clogging up the system and drawing fat pay cheques in the process.....maybe, just maybe then both the car parking problem and patient care could receive the funding that both deserve.

I'll reply. I work at the dentist across the road from the NGH and the parking is a nightmare. I personally dont drive to work, but those who do cannot get a parking space because the staff from the hospital park there. Most days we are lucky to even have adequate disabled access for our patients. Residents cannot park either and the surrounding area is just as bad. We have a little carpark, although it is owned by the council, they have been on about giving permits and making it pay and display for ages now. To be honest I think the NGH have a responsibility to do something about the situation. I totally agree with you about the pen pushers, get rid of them and free up more money to help patients, staff and local residents and businesses!

I can imagine it must be dead annoying to face these parking problems day after day, but we were all warned "The cuts" were coming, so here they are. I think if it is a choice between patient care and parking, then I would rather me or my family be cared for properly, than be able to park quickly.

I can imagine it must be dead annoying to face these parking problems day after day, but we were all warned "The cuts" were coming, so here they are. I think if it is a choice between patient care and parking, then I would rather me or my family be cared for properly, than be able to park quickly.
The parking was put "on hold" months ago. The cuts haven't even been out yet and the car park, which if the STH feels responsible for its staff and patients visiting comfort ought to do something.

Making the car parks paying 4 years ago didn't make local residents' lives any easier. Given the choice, and I had to when I worked there, I park for free. If they put pay and display or some nimby permit scheme and I still worked there I'd park further: for free. One didn't need to pay but chief exec woke up one morning and said, yep you're paying now but we're not making more parking with the permit and pay and display monies we're actually building another building on the car park.

I work there and I was well peeved when we had to start paying. Originally, the lower paid staff were made to pay the same fee as the CEO until someone realised that wasnt fair (you think?) and there are different levels of parking fees now. We're not guaranteed a space, there are more permits issued than spaces available, some ignorant people take up 2 spaces with their huge 4x4, making less spaces and its absolutely not policed properly. I've complained several times about the car parks and nothing ever is resolved!

Come 745am, the staff car parks are almost full and the streets are chocca! I really do think we needed this new car park!

I work there and I was well peeved when we had to start paying. Originally, the lower paid staff were made to pay the same fee as the CEO until someone realised that wasnt fair (you think?) and there are different levels of parking fees now. We're not guaranteed a space, there are more permits issued than spaces available, some ignorant people take up 2 spaces with their huge 4x4, making less spaces and its absolutely not policed properly. I've complained several times about the car parks and nothing ever is resolved!

Come 745am, the staff car parks are almost full and the streets are chocca! I really do think we needed this new car park!

You're lucky to even get a parking permit as a lot of people who would have paid for parking have been refused a permit and hence the problem of on street parking. Many people would rather not park on the street if they had the choice.

STH's answer "with rose tinted spectacles" those who have been refused a permit, you can take public transport, cycle or walk, well yes in an ideal world but in reality it's not happening on a large enough scale. Sheffield is a hilly terrain, public transport costs have rocketed sky high and not everyone lives en-route on the H1 hospital bus service.

My dealings with the NGH are quite limited (I prefer RHH)...but I have noticed how the car parking is so bad....it just seemed logical to add more parking.

Is there no way that the NGH could negotiate a deal with say NCP for them to build, staff and run a car park. That way the visitors and staff would have somewhere to park and the hospital would get some rent from the car park.

For the NGH I know this is not the ideal solution...why would they want to give money away by not having a car park they own, run and take all profits from...but they clearly do not have the luxury of a choice.

This problem clearly needs a solution and surely if you can't find one "in-house" then you find one from outside.

It really gets my back up when the administrators who have planned a car-park then say they don't have the funds....I agree patient care is paramount...it's not up for question....but I wonder what would have happened to patient care had they not used the money that should have used for the car park. That, I find worrying.

Some clown will come on here and say that its a ''invoice'' not a fine and thats why they cant police it, oh i just did :hihi:

Its same at any hospital, and i can see the horrible issue with the surrounding streets, i used to live oposite a church and can tell you its so annoying getting your drive blocked and havin to park miles away from your house till the church service finishes, so can only imagine how annoying it is all day long 5 days a week!

Multistory car park could be the answer, but i suppose it would need paying for by central government and lets face it, they wont see it as a problem as it isnt them that are effected.

To charge staff to park is apalling, i think it should be free and have ample space for staff, but if they were to try and improve parking, wouldnt it decrease parking in the short term and increase the issue?