Discussions regarding Forgemasters retracted loan (Merged Threads)

It's all good news, at least they are doing what is possible to drag this country out of the mess it's in..

Double whammy for Sheffield, take a look at the list of suspended projects. Yes 12m for the retail quarter

Looks like they've come back to finish what Maggie started ........ a leopard never changes it's spots.

It's all good news, at least they are doing what is possible to drag this country out of the mess it's in..

Good news? How are we ever going to pay our way in the world if we don't have any manufacturing capability. The financial services *******which the Tories supported at the expense of making things has been shown up to be what it is. As Cameron himself has stated the economy needs to be re-balanced.

Judge a man by his deeds not words.

In answer to the original question, no, I don't think Sheffield will forgive Clegg for this. Hard to understand why the banks are fed public money while such an important industrial producer isn't. Thinking Hallam voters should be fuming.

As much as I would like Forgemasters to do well, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't get the money from the Government - when you start looking into the figures, it all gets rather risky.

.. and I am still unsurprised they didn't get the money.

Interesting that the BBC list also shows 'Outukumpu: £13m ' - what was all this about?

Labour wouldn't have cancelled it because they SUPPORTED it.

If this is true then it is an absolute disgrace.This was an opportunity to provide 200 real jobs + many more in support industries which would have evolved, not to mention a massive boost to the kudos of what's left of the city's manufacturing base.

Shameful.

An £80m loan to provide 180-200 real jobs is not very cost efficient is it? If the prospects/business plan was that good then Forgemasters would get it from the banks.

In answer to the original question, no, I don't think Sheffield will forgive Clegg for this. Hard to understand why the banks are fed public money while such an important industrial producer isn't. Thinking Hallam voters should be fuming.

I am a Hallam voter, and I am really, really fuming :rant:

I only voted for the creep because I didn't want the Tories getting in.

I feel like crying at the moment, I feel so angry.

An £80m loan to provide 180-200 real jobs is not very cost efficient is it? If the prospects/business plan was that good then Forgemasters would get it from the banks.

At the moment the banks won't lend money to proven businesses never mind developing ones. Not to mention the fact that the banks are not as keen to lend money to 'unfashionable' manufacturing businesses in the first place.

Alexander on why plans announced by Labour since Jan 2010 have been cancelled.

"We have also found another spending black-hole in the previous government's plans - projects had been approved with no money in place to pay for them."

What a mess.

Link to government paper http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/d/press_13_10.pdf

Edited by Tony

"We have also found another spending black-hole in the previous government's plans - projects had been approved with no money in place to pay for them.

"I am determined to deal with this problem head-on and ensure we never see this kind of irresponsible financial planning in government again"

What's up Tone, you eyeing the land up for another block of flats?

With 800 Sheffield jobs on the line lets hope Forgemasters get the money!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/jun/06/industry-manufacturing-sheffield-cable-clegg

give me the £80 million and i'll set on all the 800....and find them something to do....nice little earner for all concerned....