Discussions regarding Forgemasters retracted loan (Merged Threads)

Get real, Clegg is only a career politician. The people of Hallam voted Lib Dem, NOT Tory, and I fear Cleggy is a Tory in disguise.

If he was a Tory, he would have joined the Tory Party. If he were an ambitious politician whose aim was self agrandisement he would hardly chose a party which (at the time of him joining) didn't look like it would be in power anytime soon.

Clegg should stand again as a Tory showing his true colours. Historically the lib/dems have more in common with Labour than the Tories. He's nothing but Camerons bitch. Cameron wouldn't give him the time of day if he didn't need him and his gang of no-hopers. Brown didn't sell out, he resigned rather than deal with the likes of Clegg, the Dishonourable Member for Hallam.

I agree with that. He's from Buckinghamshire and lives in London. He has very little to do with the city other than the 2 or 3 weeks before a general election.

He has though given a tin pot party of unelectable loony sandal wearers a say in government; something that looked as if it would never be possible.

Should provide hours of entertainment, come back Spitting Images.:hihi:

The £80 million loan has today been cancelled.

As expected. Spending on increasing industrial exports and job creation obviously isn't good spending.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/politics/10341015.stm

If I am to believe the BBC about the impossibility to award money that doesn't exist what's the problem?

I'd love to see your post if Labour were in power and did the same thing, hypocrite.

If I am to believe the BBC about the impossibility to award money that doesn't exist what's the problem?

I'd love to see your post if Labour were in power and did the same thing, hypocrite.

Labour wouldn't have cancelled it because they SUPPORTED it.

If this is true then it is an absolute disgrace.This was an opportunity to provide 200 real jobs + many more in support industries which would have evolved, not to mention a massive boost to the kudos of what's left of the city's manufacturing base.

Shameful.

Firstly, why insult me? I would say exactly the same thing if Labour did it because the best way to reduce the deficit is to grow our manufacturing/exports industry and employ people. Creating a new manufacturing capacity that doesn't exist anywhere else in the UK (and almost nowhere else in the world) in an area that will be very busy over the next few decades is a good way of doing this.

I can assume by your presumption that I'm a Labour supporter for not cheering every bloody move the coalition makes that you rarely think critically when it comes to your own party in power and just accept whatever they tell you.

Secondly, the money does exist. They've made a number of new spending commitments since they came into power. They have just chosen not to spend it in this instance.

this has also been announced on the BBC, is this development around the John Lewis area ... think it must be?

List of projects suspended:

Sheffield Retail Quarter: £12m

I wonder how many votes Clegg will get at the next election?

Double whammy for Sheffield, take a look at the list of suspended projects. Yes 12m for the retail quarter

Labour wouldn't have cancelled it because they SUPPORTED it.

If this is true then it is an absolute disgrace.This was an opportunity to provide 200 real jobs + many more in support industries which would have evolved, not to mention a massive boost to the kudos of what's left of the city's manufacturing base.

Shameful.

Yes, it is true. Heard Danny Alexander say so earlier in the Commons. Has anyone started a petition for recall yet?

I wonder how many votes Clegg will get at the next election?

He'll probably have defected (formally) to the Cons by then and will be standing in a safe constituency.