Birds and ciabatta bread

I've noticed recently that the birds which come into the garden are much reluctant to eat any Ciabatta bread left out for them, even the Wood Pigeons will only peck at it when everything else has gone.

Why is this? Has anyone experienced similar re-actions by birds to Ciabatta and if so what do you think the bread contains to make birds behave like this?

Edited by neil memmott

It's probably just because there's no such thing as Ciabatti bread ;):hihi:

Pedant! Swap the i for the a then. The birds in my garden will eat nothing I put out. Except for the blackbird. Seeds, bread, yorkshire puddings or spotted dick. No interest. Is it because there are so many cats about? Even if I put it on the shed roof, no takers.

I've noticed recently that the birds which come into the garden are much reluctant to eat any Ciabatta bread left out for them, even the Wood Pigeons will only peck at it when everything else has gone.

Why is this? Has anyone experienced similar re-actions by birds to Ciabatta and if so what do you think the bread contains to make birds behave like this?

Yorkshire birds aren't adventurous enough to try something new????

I think in this snow birds will have eaten anything they get hold of but will probably returned to as much a 'natural' diet as they can now they can see the ground (grubs etc). But bread of any kind is a little hard on birds digestion so this may be why they've been leaving it now they can :)

Shouldn't feed them bread anyway. Its bloating and doesn't contain enough energy for the volume it takes up. Feed them seeds, peanuts fat and chopped fruit.

If you do that you should get plenty after a while. We get all the usual blackbirds, thrushes etc plus nuthatches, woodpeckers and a pheasant. We are not in the country so you should get a fair selection if you feed them stuff they need.

They are fun to watch.

I put out wild bird seed with the bread but no takers. Next door has nuts which got a hammering in the snow but no takers now.

I put out wild bird seed with the bread but no takers. Next door has nuts which got a hammering in the snow but no takers now.

The birds are probably having a feast on grubs and un-iced berries at the moment :)

Yes Bread is not good, they need high energy foods like seeds and fat etc

I put out standard bird seed and get plenty of the usual birds, but my neighbours have feeders with sunflower seeds an another with niger seeds and they get Goldfinches too.

Yes Bread is not good, they need high energy foods like seeds and fat etc

QUOTE]

But Ciabatta is made using olive oil isn't it?

It is but it still fills them with stodge, and being called hodgepodge i should know about stodge i think?

All though why they choose not to eat it I wouldn't know, not being a bird brain!

Edited by hodgepodge

I've only just started feeding the birds properly. Bought a bird seed feeder(whatever you call them) and some fat balls and they are loving it. I can sit on my settee and watch them on the tree outside feeding. It is such a pleasure. Never really took an interest before