Can you remember your first wage and how much ?

My first weekly wage for a 42.50 hours was Two Pounds and Ten Shillng.

In today's money it's £2.50 a week (1962)

I remember my first wage packet way back in 1977

It was £15.25 :o for a 37 hour week as an office junior in Sheffield cty centre

what I cant understand, I went out 3 nights a week, bought clothes, make up, bus fares etc....how did I do it :huh:

I think half a lager at that time was 15p :roll:

I started on £15 a week in 1974 as a shop assistant in Sheffield City Centre.

I saved £5 a week in the Building Society. The rest went on bus fares, clothes, drinks, LP records, etc.

I never drank much anyhow. I was in my late 20's before I ever went past 2 pints of beer in one evening. Even now, if I'm not driving, I wouldn't drink more than 3 pints of beer.

I earn a bit more than £15 a week now but I don't feel any better off. I've got more things to spend it on obviously.

But fond memories of those days. Of first dates that ended in a snog at the bus stop and going home on the bus, wishing for the day when I could afford a car so I could take the girl home, or take her somewhere nice rather than just meet up at the threepenny bit on platform A and go to some boring pub in town.

Started work at Walter Fox and Partners Suffolk Road (Now the Leadmill club)in August 1965 as a apprentice Panel Beater /sheet metalworker at 3.7.6 a week (three pound seven and six)which in todays money is 3.40 a week.You could do so much with so little in those days.Went out every weekend including all nighters at the great MOJO club.Magic times.

Started work at Walter Fox and Partners Suffolk Road (Now the Leadmill club)in August 1965 as a apprentice Panel Beater /sheet metalworker at 3.7.6 a week (three pound seven and six)which in todays money is 3.40 a week.You could do so much with so little in those days.Went out every weekend including all nighters at the great MOJO club.Magic times.

started work at George Turton Platts 1959 my first wage was £1-17-6.trainee time and motion study.got so much agro only lasted 3months.very funny though when i started working as a rep.many years they were one of my customers,called Firth Vickers then i think but not sure.

My first wage was 3 pounds and ten shillings, in 1957

Walsh's department store age 16, 1974, £11.

Mine was 1983, YTS, EITB Petre St, £50 a fornight

yes I can remember my first wage and yes I am very long in the tooth

It was October 1945 I was 14 I worked at carters on Attercliffe my wage was 14 and a penny { seven and half pence }new money:

yes I can remember my first wage and yes I am very long in the tooth

It was October 1945 I was 14 I worked at carters on Attercliffe my wage was 14 and a penny { seven and half pence }new money:

Shouldn't that be seventy and a half pence? Still not much. :)

That wasn't a bad starting wage in 1955!

He probably sold half a dozen kitchenettes or the like, LOL I only got 2/18/6 in 1961 as an apprentice, and that included 4 hours on Saturday. Sorry, I don't have the pound sign on my keyboard.

Edited by Ontarian1981

He probably sold half a dozen kitchenettes or the like, LOL I only got 2/18/6 in 1961 as an apprentice, and that included 4 hours on Saturday. Sorry, I don't have the pound sign on my keyboard.

No pound sign on keyboard ? So I'm not alone then ?