Can you remember your first wage and how much ?

I wonder who will be able to come on with the earliest wage packet...:huh:

they will be showing their age then wont they:D

Yes I hold my hand up..Ten quid a week driving a bread van for Gillets bakery. Down By the Wicker somewhere. Born in 1938 so I am the youngest!!!!!

Yes I hold my hand up..Ten quid a week driving a bread van for Gillets bakery. Down By the Wicker somewhere. Born in 1938 so I am the youngest!!!!!

Sorry. Started in 1942 on 15/- per week. Then in '46 went down to 7/- per week when conscripted. But even so, I know there are others who post on here who must have had a lower starting wage than me!.

Slightly off topic but still about wages. Someone mentioned 'real money' in brown envelopes and I reckon everybody got their dues like that, but when I worked on the railway we got our wages in a tin. Only a little tin, and they'd curl the notes around inside. It always looked good when you took the lid off.

The most bizarre way of payment I experienced was (coming down the years a bit, about 1965 ) was when I worked, as a brickie, for an Irishman. His name was Patrick Tr**t, and he had a gang of about fifteen groundworkers. He would come, every payday, with the standard bank bag full of cash and pay out all of us from the bag. The guy never made a mistake, not with mine anyhow. He must've had a thousand quid or more in that bag.

Started my apprenticeship in 1957, at the princely sum of two pounds a week. At the ripe old age of 21 when I finished said apprenticeship, the wage had risen to a mighty 12 quid a week.

I was born in 1957 so in 1972 I worked as a saturday girl in Davys Bakery shop on city road and I earned £1.15 working from 8 am to 5.30 pm. In 1973 my first job was E W Hatfields on Sydney street as office junior were I earned £8 per week but after ni and possibly income tax but dont quote me on that, I came out with around £7.50.

I am pleased to say though that I earn considerably more now and work a lot less!

You lot had it easy dint ya, £2/8/6 (£2.42 and 1/2p) take home pay for a 40 hour week back in 1964 as an apprentice miller.

Me too apprentice auto trician at Kennings. £3/5s a week, Whilst on the subject of money,,,people moan about mortgage payments,when I bought my first house, in around 1970 interest was 15%

We had our first mortgage in 1971 (married in 1970) repayment was £30 per month which was equal to a weeks' wages. Only one of us working because our first child was expected and there wasn't much work for pregnant women then.

Oh, I forgot, you're right about the interest rates plus we had 3 day working weeks with power cuts etc., happy days....not!

We had our first mortgage in 1971 (married in 1970) repayment was £30 per month which was equal to a weeks' wages. Only one of us working because our first child was expected and there wasn't much work for pregnant women then.

Oh, I forgot, you're right about the interest rates plus we had 3 day working weeks with power cuts etc., happy days....not!

Yes,,my mortgage was only £16.00 per month, but you could only pay per month what you earned in a week, I only earned £15.10s but a friendly insurance guy wangled it for me

1974 Apprentice Joiner-£12.84 after stoppages.

I had to give my mother £5 board,thought i was being robbed at the time.

£3.7/6 for 5 1/2 days painting apprentice,I can remember my first £5,£10,£20 and £50 notes in my pay packet,its scary how values have changed in my working life.

Manager for Jackson the Tailor age 23 was £33 per week including commission, good job there was suit allowance.

I was @newton,chambers, apprentice welder in 1955£1 19-2pence for 44 hour week when I was16 you could work a Saturday morning.