Train Station closed to non ticket holders

What's all the fuss about? If you want to catch a train, buy a ticket before you get on and use it to get through the barriers. If you're not getting a train what are you doing walking through the station in the first place?

You mean like the principle that if you are walking from Sharrow to Burngreave, what are you doing walking through the city centre?

Who's lazier, someone who misses checking one person's ticket? Or the passenger who decides to board a train without having a valid ticket for the entire journey (probably a penalty fare offence) and doesn't actively seek to purchase a ticket when they see the opportunity?

You may have answered your own question about how they can justify barriers - people don't seem able to grasp the concept of paying their fare when they can.

What are you supposed to do when you turn up in the evening and the tickets office is closed and the ticket machines are out of order?

I catch the tram and I don't see that they have a problem with fares! It might be that the train company are charging a fortune my mate told me how much it went up for a month pass and my jaw hit the floor!

People might try and get to trains on time if they arn't delayed, cancelled or the bloody staff arn't striking!

What are you supposed to do when you turn up in the evening and the tickets office is closed and the ticket machines are out of order?
You're kidding, right? Do you really need that answering?

On any station where penalty fares are in operation, the passenger has to ensure they have a valid ticket for their entire journey before getting on a train. Except where they can't actually purchase one. And not allowing enough time to buy a ticket doesn't wash with them. Seems simple enough.

My only issue on this is the following. I often get a specific train from a specific Sheffield suburban station (where I live) into the main Sheffield station to go to the movies, theatre or a night on the lash. The suburban station is unmanned with no ticket office or ticket machines. The Friday evening train that I often catch is packed with commuters. It is often very difficult for the guard to get to me or for me to get to the guard. and it's only a 5 minute journey. Yes I'll admit there are times when I don't pay, but it's two quid and I'm not really bothered either way about it. On non commuter trains it's easy, I buy a ticket an everyone's happy. But I think it'll be wrong if people are fined in the commuter train scenario. It would be nice if EMT provide ticket machines at stations like this one before they start handing out fines.

But I think it'll be wrong if people are fined in the commuter train scenario. It would be nice if EMT provide ticket machines at stations like this one before they start handing out fines.

The chances are that your local station is managed by Northern Rail so it's upto them to install ticket machines.

You also wont be fined if you arrive without a ticket, you'll have the opportunity to purchase one either at the barriers from a member of staff or before them from a machine depending how EMT go about it.

I catch the tram and I don't see that they have a problem with fares! It might be that the train company are charging a fortune my mate told me how much it went up for a month pass and my jaw hit the floor!

People might try and get to trains on time if they arn't delayed, cancelled or the bloody staff arn't striking!

There are 7 ticket machines at Sheffield so the chances that all of those are out of service at the same time is highly unlikely. And the ticket office doesn't close until about 22.45.

At other stations with barriers they don't operate very early in the morning or late at night and are left open at these times - don't see that Sheffield would be any different. So, problems solved for you there!!

The walkway was shut off again this evening. After I'd been showing a friend around the great atmosphere of Sheffield through the peace gardens, winter gardens, millennium gallery, we walked down the nice station frontage to be greeted by the 6 staff across all the entrances to the footbridge and though we had tram tickets were told to 'walk around'.

The staff were particularly unpleasant, the station was pretty quiet and it made a really bad impression with signs on the station front showing that it's the supertram stop. The long walk along to the old bridge and back again on the other side was bad enough, but the bridge itself is awful, covered in graffiti, absolutely stinks, feels unsafe, and generally the whole experience was very embarrassing.

This is such bad PR, I for one will be avoiding any EMT services for the foreseeable.