Train Station closed to non ticket holders

From what Cyclone mentioned about no checking at 5:30am and when I passed mid-afternoon last Friday, also no staff present. Yet Xootom had staff preventing access this evening. I wonder if they are only stopping people at peak time travel periods then?

Also, if this is actually going to be permanent ticketed barriers, I wonder if the tram stop will get renamed and lose the 'Sheffield Station' bit? Im sure the Granville Road tram stop is the nearest to the dodgy unsafe bridge.

The walkway was shut off again this evening. After I'd been showing a friend around the great atmosphere of Sheffield through the peace gardens, winter gardens, millennium gallery, we walked down the nice station frontage to be greeted by the 6 staff across all the entrances to the footbridge and though we had tram tickets were told to 'walk around'.

When I was on the station at about 4pm there were Supertram staff selling tickets for anyone wanting to use the tram and anyone with a valid tram ticket was allowed through the barrier.

.... And not allowing enough time to buy a ticket doesn't wash with them......

How long do you think you should allow for having to buy a ticket at Sheffield station? 5 minutes? 10 minutes? 30 minutes?

Although you may predict that it's busier at certain times than others, I don't think it's ever really possible to know how long it's going to take to get hold of a ticket (unusually long queues at ticket office, machines out of order etc).

In those circumstances, and say you only have one train an hour, and are getting a standard single to your destination anyway, I can't see why you shouldn't be allowed to board the train without a ticket, and then purchase one from the conductor - the fare will be the same.

Unfortunately, those of us who sensibly use this approach will now be penalised (even though it might only be a time penalty rather than financial) because of the fare-dodging few.

I accept that at peak times it's pretty much impossible for the conductor to pass through the entire length of a packed commuter train, checking and selling tickets. But I've also done my 20 minute train journey (3 stops) at times when the train has had barely any people on, and there has been absolutely no attempt by the conductor to check tickets.

I don't buy tickets at the station. I buy them in advance. But I'd allow a minimum of 15 minutes, if I get a ticket quickly I'd then have a coffee. If by some weird scenario all ticket machines were out of order and the queue to purchase a ticket was long it might be close and a little inconvenient. But yes, there are those that feel they *have* to get a particular train but don't plan their journey to allow for any slight delay to the station. Not sure how that's the station operator's problem.

I agree with you but the problem with letting people on to the trains without a ticket is that many then make no effort to actually buy one - preferring instead to see what they can get away with. A sad reflection on society.

All that said - it is a disgrace they're not letting tram passengers through.

If by some weird scenario all ticket machines were out of order and the queue to purchase a ticket was long it might be close and a little inconvenient.

On occasions in the past, if all the machines have been out of order and the ticket office hasn't been able to cope, or visa versa for some reason the ticket office has had to close completely, announcements (pre-recorded in line with the rest) have been made along the lines of, "due to technical problems a full range of tickets are available for purchase onboard trains leaving the station today."

All that said - it is a disgrace they're not letting tram passengers through.

For part of the afternoon at least there was a Supertram bod on hand at the barrier for people to purchase tickets, they were then allowed over the bridge as normal, i'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to organise to have one on hand everytime the barrier is in operation, they only seem to do it for a few hours at a time.

What happens if someone from Park Hill Flats wants to catch a train, but needs to buy a ticket? They'll have to walk all the way round to the other bridge to get back to the station. That's ridiculous! I think they should at least have the ticket barriers to each platform so people can continue to use the bridge.

For part of the afternoon at least there was a Supertram bod on hand at the barrier for people to purchase tickets, they were then allowed over the bridge as normal, i'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to organise to have one on hand everytime the barrier is in operation, they only seem to do it for a few hours at a time.

This is irrelevant when a poster has said that passengers with valid tram tickets were refused access.

How long do you think you should allow for having to buy a ticket at Sheffield station? 5 minutes? 10 minutes? 30 minutes?

I accept that at peak times it's pretty much impossible for the conductor to pass through the entire length of a packed commuter train, checking and selling tickets. But I've also done my 20 minute train journey (3 stops) at times when the train has had barely any people on, and there has been absolutely no attempt by the conductor to check tickets.

I would allow at least half an hour if buying tickets from the ticket office in person. Last time I was there I was collecting replacement tickets (originals lost in post!) and had to wait nearly half an hour. It was about 5:30pm on a weekday and the brains of EMT only had 2 members of staff in the ticket office. At peak times I would have thought there would be a lot more ticket office staff around.

Yes, I also have made plenty of train journies where the conductor has not bothered to check tickets. Quite often this has been on trains which were only half full and on long journies such as Manchester to Sheffield.

To sum up, I always buy train tickets online and have them delivered in the post. Only once (out of loads of tickets!) have they got lost in the post. The replacements given were of a higher quality anytime any train ticket.