See for miles from from Ringinglow / Hallam

Some great pictures there, and that is definitely York Minster you can see. A quick look on google earth confirms it, just use the ruler tool and draw a line from the view point to the minster. Depending on where you are located in Sheffield, Ferrybridge is in direct line of site. From Woodhead Road at Grenoside the Minster is slightly to the left of Ferrybridge.

Ringinglow is very good, but if you want a GOOD view in most directions, think about a walk up to BACK TOR, on Derwent edge.

Went once and was amazed!

Went again and despite forecasts there was low cloud.

Went Saturday and it snowed! As on the previous occasion about 300yds down it cleared up!

Well worth it but remember boots, grub and appropriate clothing. Suggest allowing about 4 hours.

I know the Emley Moor transmitter can be seen from Ringinglow, but I wonder if the Belmont transmitter has ever been spotted in the Lincolnshire Wolds between Louth and Market Rasen! That will be the next challenging sight seeing from Ringinglow.

Regularly on any clear night

From Lydgate Lane it is easily visible amongst or just south of the twin towers of West Burton power station. When very clear the Aircraft recognition lights are visible to the naked eye.

I imagine Bilsdale transmitter can be seen too on a good day.

Here is a pic I took from the top of Grenoside a few years ago:

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp87/supersonic525/IMG_633505901057794_zpswngpplc3.jpeg

Press the magnifier for a clearer not compressed image.

Can see Hoober stand, Hoober observatory, and distantly the now demolished cooling towers at Thorpe Marsh.

Edited by supersonic

I imagine Bilsdale transmitter can be seen too on a good day.

That would have to be a very good day. It's a relatively thin structure and is over 70 miles away. No, I'd be very surprised if I ever saw that, even though in good weather I can watch BBC North East and ITV Tyne Tees from it.

There was a very, very clear evening in late June last year. I went up to Ringinglow and was blown away, I honestly don't think I will ever see it any better than that. You could see for miles and miles, it was incredible. It was just a pity there was only about 2 hours of daylight left, otherwise I would happily have spent all day up there. Right in the distance I could see a large hill range which I have never seen from there before. I wasn't sure if it was the Yorkshire Wolds or the North York Moors. Either way they were some distance off.

Edited by Colin Foster

I've seen the same hills too, I think it is the edge if the NYM, I'll have to check google earth again.

The aircraft warning lights certainly make spotting the towers easier at night! I can often pick up Bilsdale too, incredible really as am only 70m above sea level at Ecclesfield, no line of site, wrong aerial group, pointing the wrong way!

---------- Post added 24-02-2015 at 03:44 ----------

I had a look at Google Earth and some old pictures of mine, and you can see both range of hills, depending on your bearing. From my vantage point at Woodhead road, Grenoside (about 300m asl), looking towards Drax and Eggborough, the hills behind are the wolds:

egg-1

Can only just be made out on this hazy day. Looking towards Ferrybridge, the hills behind are the NYM (as seen through the cooling towers):

ferry-1

On this pic, if you zoom in, you can make out the Minster bell tower just to the left of the towers:

ride-6

Thorpe Marsh looking out towards Hull. You can clearly see the hills behind, I think Humber Bridge is lost amongst the wind turbines in the foreground:

thorpemarsh

And West Burton. Not good enough to see Lincoln on this day:

burton-1