Should London Road Become Sheffields China Town.

Clearly you are very snobbish and superior about all of this, despite the fact that you think the Noodle Inn is the best of the Oriental eateries on London Road.......bizarre.

The rest of us, meanwhile, will continue to enjoy Wasabisabi, Bahn Thai and all the other good and interesting food places that most of us seem to quite like, even if they aren't up to your standard.

Well we had a forum meet at Siam Inter a few weeks back, and one of the foodstuffs that went down a treat was... sticky rice, which apparently, according to our 'expert' Calippo you won't find being served in the west. :huh:

I also wouldn't have called the decor 'glum'! :shocked:

Calippo seems to be hoist on his own petard. He wants to be seen as the superior expert but actually doesn't know what's actually going on on actual London Road at this actual moment.

i think london road should get china town recognition.make an arch or something,like liverpool manchester and leeds?

Sounds a good idea; I've unofficially always named it the 'Yellow Mile', kind of in honour of the Square Mile Sheffield College centre where I used to go..!:hihi:

one of the foodstuffs that went down a treat was... sticky rice

sticky rice is in actual fact a rice that is eaten most in the north and north east Thailand, the poorest part of the country, and its not 'a delicacy' at all - rather its cooked like that because it makes people think, feel, or believe, that they're 'fuller' than they actually are - not a small consideration when the average monthly wage will normally only provide about 80meals - and that's before you buy clothes, shelter, or anything else. Siam's living standards have improved a lot in the past 25 years and there are now about the same number of children that are obese today than were severely malnourished then.

Yuppies in Bangkok wouldn't touch sticky rice with a bargepole.

p.s. there was an election today in Thailand, the first after the descent into military dictatorshop on 19.9.06 - but don't expect it to be front page lead in the Grauniad tomorrow - it's Christmas.

i think london road should get china town recognition.make an arch or something,like liverpool manchester and leeds?

I thought it already was!!

oh and one more thing, minding I don't live in Sheffield or spend much time there, if the Noddle Inn really is ****, then how come it always seems to be packed, and often with a clear majority of the customers being of East Asian appearance?

because the sure sign of a **** East Asian restrauant in a big city,or perhaps a tight one that skimps on the portions, is when the only customers are white people.

:hihi::hihi: We didnt get that far, some Chinese fellas followed us through a garden area and started shouting abuse. When we returned to our car there were 5 local lads sat on it. We were three women who had to persuade the lovely gentlemen to kindly remove themselves from our car, so that we could get home.

We left hastily and I have never returned. I am sure the food would have been excellent if we had tried it.:roll:

That's odd. I know Manchester's chinatown well and have never seen any chinese on "guai lo" trouble there at all except once when a white bloke pinched a parking place that a chinese woman was waiting for. He was foolish and asked for the problems he got.

It was nothing to do with race and lots to do with a git kopping for the results of his own stupidity.

As for London road, it's a good a place as any. Lots of chinese (HK, mainland and malaysian chinese about) and lots of space for parades/shows come chinese new year.

A good chinatown helps bring visitors and money to a city but you need to do a good job of it. Liverpool's is a real mess and not worth the bother of visiting.

Chinese culture is varied and the food is often good. Try real chinese food and not the stuff that they feed us lot.

Go to wong ting in town and ask the dim sum menu. If you know a chinese person it's handy but the staff are very helpful.

that Thai restaurant is **** too.

absolute ****ing garbage.

the only good Asian restaurant on the whole block is that Noddles Inn.

all the others are/were ****.

Calm down dear, it's only food.

As for London road, it's a good a place as any. Lots of chinese (HK, mainland and malaysian chinese about) and lots of space for parades/shows come chinese new year.

A good chinatown helps bring visitors and money to a city but you need to do a good job of it. Liverpool's is a real mess and not worth the bother of visiting.

Can you imagine what Sheffield's version of a China Town would be like?

I think the whole idea is just so fake. Why do people want to impose a dominant chinese culture on a road that is more culturally mixed than anywhere else in Sheffield. How would the other nationalities fell if the council dictated that they now live in a China Town?

I can think of the following represented in restaurants, shops and social centres, please feel free to add the ones I missed -

Italian

Greek

Thai

Jamaican

Kurdish

Polish

Turkish

Vietnamese

Japanese

Indian subcontinent

British

and Chinese

I can think of the following represented in restaurants, shops and social centres, please feel free to add the ones I missed -

Italian

Greek

Thai

Jamaican

Kurdish

Polish

Turkish

Vietnamese

Japanese

Indian subcontinent

British

and Chinese

Persian (Shiraz) ?

of course London Rd is miles better than it wasin the late 70s and early 80s when I grew up there, when there was only that one - and godawful - Chinese near the Highfield library.

in fact Chinese food was always terrible in Sheffield until London Rd improved things a lot. Zing Va and all those in town were terrible and even that one out in Ranmoort all chattering classes said was meant to be good, was just overpriced **** that didn't even have a revolving table.

that takeaway in Fulwood is good though, though again avoid the Thai options there, they're terrible.

curiously, two of the best, and the best value, Chinese restrauants I've ever been in in the UK were in two very unfashionable towns you would never expect to get a decent Chinese meal - Rhyl, and King's Lynn. They both had revolving tables.

if there's any kids in the group, I've been known to ask them on the phone if there's a revolving table, and, if they haven't got one, I just tell them we're not coming and that we're going somewhere else.

small western kids don't often really go for Chinese food, but if there's a revolving table, that makes it loads more appealing.

the big one missing from that list in 34 is a Korean restrauant.

Some Pakistani guy with an Iranian wife had a Persian/Iranian restrauant on Abbeydale Rd near Carterknowle RD a few years ago, but it didn't last long. That was another place that just didn't have enough main courses - only about 5. The menu just looked tacky, even though the decor was excellent. What if your regulars are never going to eat say two of them because they don't like say, lamb or whatever? What choice do they have then?