Should London Road Become Sheffields China Town.

Do Sheffield's Chinese residents want a 'Chinatown' at all? If they do, where do they want it to be?

Do Sheffield's Chinese residents want a 'Chinatown' at all? If they do, where do they want it to be?

Surely it's the investors/developers choice as to where this should be built?

As well as suitable development land being available in the right part of the city?

Investors quickly walk away if you try and put too many constraints on how and where they should invest their money.

If you want Sheffield to become more like England's 5th city, and less like the largest village in England, then we need to start offering people the same things that have been available in similar cities for decades.

And it's just as much to do with attracting new people into the city, as well as serving Sheffield's existing residents, (Chinese or otherwise.)

The people wanting to develop this are Chinese themselves, so in my opinion are as well placed as anyone to know what Sheffield's Chinese residents want. Especially as they can converse with them in mandarin.

If it's any consolation I have lived overseas myself. And would never have had a problem if someone decided to build "Little England" where I lived.

1. You mean '...fourth city...'.

2. Do you know for a fact that the 'investors/developers' are Chinese?

3. Not all Chinese use Mandarin as a first language- or at all.

4. And it's not that imagined 'we' who need to lash out public funds or even provide a Chinatown.

That old chestnut (see about a dozen SF threads over the years).

Sheffield is not England's fourth most important city. That's why it doesn't yet have the level and quality of urban development we'd all like. That's why we're very grateful when someone comes up with the funds to build something, anything, in areas like this.

2. Do you know for a fact that the 'investors/developers' are Chinese?

3. Not all Chinese use Mandarin as a first language- or at all.

4. And it's not that imagined 'we' who need to lash out public funds or even provide a Chinatown.

1) I mean 5th city. London, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield. In that order. Leeds is now significantly larger than Sheffield, and has been for some time. (And Sheffield is only the UK's 9th largest urban area if you account for surrounding settlements.)

2) Yes I do know for a fact that the investors are Chinese, as I read a lot, and not the Sun, Star (Sheffield or national), Mirror, Daily Mail etc.

3) Correct, not all Chinese people speak Mandarin, I know a few myself that speak Cantonese.

4) Who said anything about having to put public funds into this? This is a private investment.

If you don't want a Chinatown why don't you move to a village where there's zero chance of that happening, and let the city be the city.

All you have to do to encourage private investment and development, is to help with the planning process etc. You don't need to fill their mouths with gold. It's called pragmatism, in case you didn't know.

This is why Sheffield is overlooked a lot of the time, and why more investment goes into Leeds and Manchester.

But let's keep things as they are eh? Derelict buildings and wasteland.

Why would we want to see that change? I mean why on earth would anyone want to see a £60+ million development go ahead and create jobs, and improve the area?

No you are totally right on every count. Let's leave the derelict buildings as they are, and the wasteland etc, and let's all watch Sheffield drop from 5th city to 10th city.

1) I mean 5th city. London, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield. In that order. Leeds is now significantly larger than Sheffield, and has been for some time.

Yes, re Leeds.

But no. Manchester City Council's area population is way smaller than SCC's.

Does anyone have a link re the go ahead by Sheffield council for a Chinese square between London rd and Bramhall lane . Thank you..

Hopefully we will get some of the builders for breakfast ect .Having lost so many customers through redundancies in the area it would be a much needed boost .

Anything to improve this area will be greatly welcomed .:(

Plans for a £65m "Chinatown" development in Sheffield have been approved by councillors.

Jerry Cheung of New Era UK Ltd, the Sheffield company behind the plans, said the project would be funded entirely by Chinese investors.

The 86,100 sq ft (8,000 sq m) mixed use development will sit between St Mary's Gate, Bramall Lane and Sheldon Street.

Could be interesting.

Seems a bit of a shame that they plan to knock down existing buildings and relocate existing businesses.