Should London Road Become Sheffields China Town.

Sheffield is not well developed at least if London road become Chinatown it wont be such an eyesore .

it is not well developed because there are always unnecessary objections.

I agree, but I think the idea is to enhance what's already there. These people seem smart enough to realise that they don't want to start tearing the heart out of something that will compliment a Chinatown perfectly. Yes London Road is fantastic for food, but would we really miss a few ugly buildings at the ring road end of London Road? (If that's the idea.)

Ironically some of these empty buildings were probably occupied by cutlery and toolmakers put out of business by the import of shoddy Chinese goods.So if you don't mind I don't want part of Sheffield turning into China Town predominantly as another outlet for aforementioned crap.

Edited by mediumfast

Lets not eye Liverpool and Manchester's Chinatowns with rose tinted specs. Aside from the arches they're pretty small and grotty.

Ironically some of these empty buildings were probably occupied by cutlery and toolmakers put out of business by the import of shoddy Chinese goods.So if you don't mind I don't want want part of Sheffield turning into China Town predominantly as another outlet for aforementioned crap.

A lot of those steelmakers were put out of business by the American, Canadian, Dutch, French, Italian, German, Japanese, and South Korean steel industries, a long time before China came on the scene.

If you like the buildings, why not buy them yourself and create some jobs? Or if you can't afford that, ask the council to make them listed buildings?

Ironically some of these empty buildings were probably occupied by cutlery and toolmakers put out of business by the import of shoddy Chinese goods.So if you don't mind I don't want part of Sheffield turning into China Town predominantly as another outlet for aforementioned crap.

So instead of a £60 million pound development you would rather the land remained derelict and looked like this? :gag:

A lot of those steelmakers were put out of business by the American, Canadian, Dutch, French, Italian, German, Japanese, and South Korean steel industries, a long time before China came on the scene.

If you like the buildings, why not buy them yourself and create some jobs? Or if you can't afford that, ask the council to make them listed buildings?

I haven't mentioned steel production which was mainly based in the East end.I am talking about stuff like Viners Cutlery and Stanley Tools once made in Sheffield but now made in China but packaged to give the impression that it is the premium product it once was.I never said I liked the buildings I just wish some of them used for the purpose they were built and provide proper jobs unlike some poxy monument to one of the countries that used virtual slave labour to undermine and decimate this city.

---------- Post added 15-09-2014 at 14:26 ----------

So instead of a £60 million pound development you would rather the land remained derelict and looked like this? :gag:

No I wouldn't like it to remain derelict.

I haven't mentioned steel production which was mainly based in the East end.I am talking about stuff like Viners Cutlery and Stanley Tools once made in Sheffield but now made in China but packaged to give the impression that it is the premium product it once was.I never said I liked the buildings I just wish some of them used for the purpose they were built and provide proper jobs unlike some poxy monument to one of the countries that used virtual slave labour to undermine and decimate this city.

---------- Post added 15-09-2014 at 14:26 ----------

No I wouldn't like it to remain derelict.

Ok fair enough.

So what other realistic suggestions would you put forward to create more permanent jobs in the area, and potentially create new jobs in other sectors/industries?

---------- Post added 15-09-2014 at 14:37 ----------

And let's not forget, that most of our ancestors were virtual slave labour in this country until the mid 20th century. Is Sheffield Town hall a monument to that? Or course not.

Ok fair enough.

So what other realistic suggestions would you put forward to create more permanent jobs in the area, and potentially create new jobs in other sectors/industries?

I would rather they turned it into a retail area to display and sell the quality goods this area still turns out.How many and what kind of jobs do you think a China town would create and sustain and would be benefit from the retail side ? I think not.I also wish the flattened building at The bottom of Boston St was still used to employ disabled people like it was when it was Remploy.

I would rather they turned it into a retail area to display and sell the quality goods this area still turns out.How many and what kind of jobs do you think a China town would create and sustain and would be benefit from the retail side ? I think not.I also wish the flattened building at The bottom of Boston St was still used to employ disabled people like it was when it was Remploy.

If you want to see a display of the quality goods this area turns out, go to Derby and have a look around Rolls Royce.

Anyone who wants to buy Sheffield made goods, can do so from existing outlets, like the one on Surrey Street. Or get in touch with Made In Sheffield.

We need something new and different to attract people back into town, and not something that can be easily copied by renting a unit at Crystal Peaks or Meadowhall.

If you want to see a display of the quality goods this area turns out, go to Derby and have a look around Rolls Royce.

Anyone who wants to buy Sheffield made goods, can do so from existing outlets, like the one on Surrey Street. Or get in touch with Made In Sheffield.

We need something new and different to attract people back into town, and not something that can be easily copied by renting a unit at Crystal Peaks or Meadowhall.

Anyone wishing to eat Chinese food can go to any one of the quality outlets Sheffield has and in particular The London Rd area.Anyone wishing to purchase Chinese goods need look no further than their local pound shop so what would be the point promoting one country/culture above another.I simply cannot see the point of this plan clearly you can so I will say no more on the subject and be careful what you wish for.

I think its a great idea. May I seriously suggest that the area from Norfolk Bridge to Worksop Road be designated a red light area?

It is about time we recognized the contribution to the cities social cultural and release of emotional and physical tension the well established businesses in that area provide.

Anyone wishing to eat Chinese food can go to any one of the quality outlets Sheffield has and in particular The London Rd area.Anyone wishing to purchase Chinese goods need look no further than their local pound shop so what would be the point promoting one country/culture above another.I simply cannot see the point of this plan clearly you can so I will say no more on the subject and be careful what you wish for.

Thank you, I'll look forward to having a walk around when it's built, and being able to buy things that I may not find elsewhere in the city.

---------- Post added 15-09-2014 at 20:12 ----------

I think its a great idea. May I seriously suggest that the area from Norfolk Bridge to Worksop Road be designated a red light area?

It is about time we recognized the contribution to the cities social cultural and release of emotional and physical tension the well established businesses in that area provide.

Brilliant idea, and won't be copied by Meadowhall.

Edited by Sparkasaurus