Should London Road Become Sheffields China Town.

sosk

it's up to Sheffield's Chinese residents I would have thought, not some faceless council bureaucrat.

CNY is Feb 7 this year. In Asian bigger cities with obviously larger Chinese populations than anywhere in Europe it's generally pretty quiet as most people go back to their hometowns or villages either in China or elsewhere in the East Asian Chinese diaspora.

in Europe, London/Manchester etc, they put on a bit of a show, partly because its too far for the diaspora to go home just like that for the week like they can in Asia, but mostly as a display for the idiot tourists-in-their-own-country people who they obviously want to come and spend as much as possible in the Chinese restrauants. The punters haven't got a clue, and wouldn't know what a Lion Dance was if it was doing 80mph down Fargate.

I've seen a lion dance at the bottom of London Road, around CNY, in front of the Firework Company. I'm not an idiot tourist and I didn't spend knee-jerk money in their restaurants. But I recognised what it was. Your contemptuous tone is rather insulting.

Although there are many other nations represented in food form on London Road, the place is the base of the Chinese community so I think there's nothing wrong in celebrating as much. I think an arch would be lovely, especially with the new pagoda in view! But I think it's up to the Chinese community themselves to petition for something like that if they want it.

that Japanese restaruant is just a joke. It's not any more of a Japanese restrauant than that pathetic 'Japanese shop' in York is a Japanese shop. Nearly all of the goods in the York shop are Chinese, which was the source of considerable amusement to some Japanese friends I took there a couple of years ago. They took one look at that Sheffield Japanese restrauant menu and laughed their heads off too.

that Japanese restaruant is just a joke. It's not any more of a Japanese restrauant than that pathetic 'Japanese shop' in York is a Japanese shop. Nearly all of the goods in the York shop are Chinese, which was the source of considerable amusement to some Japanese friends I took there a couple of years ago. They took one look at that Sheffield Japanese restrauant menu and laughed their heads off too.

Have you been in Wasabisabi or are you just basing your insult on a passing glance at the menu?

It's a damn good restaurant, as I think most people who've been in would agree. Maybe your friends were just being condescending or plain rude. It is a Japanese restaurant whether you and your friends like it or not.

The menu is Japenese, you and your friends should **** off to Japan if they don't like it!

Wasabisabi is a Chinese run con job where the staff are trying to kid people they're Japanese, hoping that they'll fool the gullible Sheffield public by using a few badly pronounced phrases in the Japanese language while they're waiting the tables.

the food is overpriced, the portions are small, and the menu is ****, with a very poor and very predictable selection of dishes. And there's also very few of them - good restrauants have big menus with plenty of choice. At Wasabisabi, you hardly get any.

nothing like, needless to say, not just Japanese restrauants in Japan, but even Japanese restrauants in quite small cities in say Australia, where even small towns pretty much always have sushi restaruants and the biggest ones will at least normally be owned and staffed by Japanese people.

the only really good Japanese food in the UK is where the customers are more discerning for the reason that they're Japanese themselves and naturally enough 90% of them are in London.

Wasabisabi is a Chinese run con job where the staff are trying to kid people they're Japanese, hoping that they'll fool the gullible Sheffield public by using a few badly pronounced phrases in the Japanese language while they're waiting the tables.

the food is overpriced, the portions are small, and the menu is ****, with a very poor and very predictable selection of dishes. And there's also very few of them - good restrauants have big menus with plenty of choice. At Wasabisabi, you hardly get any.

nothing like, needless to say, not just Japanese restrauants in Japan, but even Japanese restrauants in quite small cities in say Australia, where even small towns pretty much always have sushi restaruants and the biggest ones will at least normally be owned and staffed by Japanese people.

the only really good Japanese food in the UK is where the customers are more discerning for the reason that they're Japanese themselves and naturally enough 90% of them are in London.

Are you an expert on these matters then?

that Thai restaurant is **** too.

absolute ****ing garbage.

the only good Asian restaurant on the whole block is that Noddles Inn.

all the others are/were ****.

at least in the Noodles Inn you get decent portions and they're GOOD noodles. Enough for two, really - only hardly anybody that goes in there has got enough nerve to ask for two sets of utensils and tuck in with just the one dish between the two diners in the middle of the table. When five pounds ninety five feeds two, which is does, then that's good value.

I miss the China Cafe. That was great. Once they knew you, you could get dry Chinese style noodles or noodle soup, plus tea, for 2 quid.

I was no surprise that the place shut down.

that's how the mafia works.

enjoy yourselves, and merry Christmas from the Philippines.

It is not a con job at all! It is a JAPANESE restaurant and I'm sure if you ask the owners they will admit they are chinese! Sorry if it's not quite as authentic as the restaurants in Oz but it's a bit closer to Japan. WasabiSabi is not a con job and if you think it is I'll perhaps hook you up with my mate who's Autie might want to report you for slander seeing as it's her restaurant...

good restrauants have big menus with plenty of choice.[/Quote]

What a load of s**t! Have you ever watched Ramsays Kitchen Nightmares!